Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ABerkman
Rookie

Name : Ash
Merit : 0

Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv? Empty
PostSubject: Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?   Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Hey guys, both of the back rest adjusters in my 96 Riv have gone bad. All other controls work fine. Seeing as how all of the parts from then are now discontinued, I'm curious if anyone knows of any other seat motors/actuators that would be compatible with my application?

I've already looked at pull a part lots in my state and the neighboring ones, but no one has a Riviera in stock.

Any model numbers you can provide would be a great help.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?   Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm

I thought my seat motors had gone bad, and found out that it was just that the (idiot) body shop guy was playing with them.  If you run them past their travel they disengage, sort of.  When you toggle the switch for the back recline and hold the seat in a reasonable position can you hear the motor run? If things are normal it's not real loud, but you can hear it.
Back to top Go down
ABerkman
Rookie

Name : Ash
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?   Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv? EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm

It doesn't run at all, just clicks like it is getting power, but the actuator isn't doing anything. All of the other controls including the lumbar support, work just fine.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?   Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv? EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Can/did you look under the seat while operating the motor switches? I don't remember asking you that.  The motors are powerful but not that powerful and are meant to stop at end of travel.  If the mechanism is binding (lack of lubrication) you'd likely see the motor output shafts twitch - in this case, lubricate them, a plastic-safe penetrating oil works...  Also, do you have the factory service manual yet?  I don't remember.   Also - just a hunch - check the wiring for chafing near the seat rails while you are under the seat(s).

As for replacement motors, GM didn't / doesn't have that much variation in hard parts, and the supplier of the Riv interior, Lear, even less so.   If you can get the seat out, you will be able to take that to a pick-n-pull and match up the motors with motors from other interiors done by Lear.  What you are looking for is other vehicles with similar power bucket seats.  Look at this:

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-parts/gm-adjust-motor-22138358

and on that page look at the THIS PART ALSO FITS list.  The cars on their list that have power reclining bucket seats would be a sampling of the donor GM vehicles to check to match up the other under-seat and in-seat parts.  Start there. There will be others that don't ahve a matching track motor, but would have a matching recliner motor. For some reason the recliner motors don't show up in the lists I can see.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?   Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv? EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 1:39 am

If you're getting a 'click', it sounds like maybe the problem is a relay down there with worn out contacts...  I'm at almost 125,000 miles, and both of my recliners work flawlessly - and stronger than the one in my previous Cadillac.

Also, it would seem unlikely that BOTH would die - the passenger's hardly gets used.
I'm suspecting a moisture problem under the seats as an alternate theory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?   Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv? Empty

Back to top Go down

Compatible electric seat motors for 96 Riv?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: