Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)

Go down 
+2
jbird
96RivZzZ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
96RivZzZ
Rookie

Name : Zach
Merit : 0

Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) Empty
PostSubject: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Hey everyone, I was planning on ordering an aeroforce scan gauge (2 1/16" gauge) and wanted to put it in place of one of the two driver door vents depending on how the wiring would end up. Anyways, do these vent cover piece clip out? Or are they integrated into the piece in the door panel?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 3:12 pm

I know some have done it, u may have to be a little patient, activity has decreased a bit lately.
have you searched "aeroforce"? You may find some info.
Jbird
Back to top Go down
96RivZzZ
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for the response, I'm not all that worried about quick response, just figured Id check around if anyone has messed with these vents before I try and end up breaking the vent cover lol. Ive looked around a bit for more info, with very little luck though.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 4:47 pm

I put a boost and oil pressure gauge where the ashtray is. Pretty easy as that whole panel with the CD holders pops out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
96RivZzZ
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySat Sep 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Was there some sort of guage kit to raplace the ash tray? Id love to mount the guage in a good spot if there is a dash kit for a single guage pod?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 1:58 am

96RivZzZ wrote:
Hey everyone,  I was planning on ordering an aeroforce scan gauge (2 1/16" gauge) and wanted to put it in place of one of the two driver door vents depending on how the wiring would end up.  Anyways, do these vent cover piece clip out?  Or are they integrated into the piece in the door panel?

Thanks!

Many guys on here have installed an Aeroforce gauge in the drivers door vent.

I would think there would be several write-ups on it. But I don't know if those have been lost over time as I have not been active on here in a long time.

But, if you take your time and look at the vent with the door panel removed you'll figure it out. And you can run all the wiring through the existing rubber boot between the door and the A pillar.

Good luck with your install. It's a great gauge to install.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 5:28 pm

I had my vent piece out recently while I touched up the paint on the door panel.  Both door vents are part of one plastic part that runs down to the other end of the vent in the door panel - you know, the part that seals against the dash when the door is closed.  It's easy enough to remove.  There's a screw at the top/front of the door panel, one at the top/back of the door panel, one under a cover behind the interior door handle, and two under covers in the door pull.  Once you have those removed, the door panel lifts up.  Before you pull up the door panel, find something around 12 inches tall and put it inside the door, so you have something to sit the heavy door panel on.  There are three or four connectors you'll have to undo, if you want to take the door panel somewhere else to work.  For this job, you don't really have to.  The door vent is only held on by two pressed on nuts at the top, and the rubber piece at the bottom.  It's not even a little hard to remove, but be careful not to lose the little nut things (actually they're more like washers, I don't know what they're properly called).  

If you do this and want to go back to stock later you'll have to find another vent piece.
Back to top Go down
96RivZzZ
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks everyone, I finally ordered and had the gauge show up, and earlier I took off the door panel just to see what all I'm working/dealing with. So far it looks like it will be an easy job (but I have said those words before...). Maybe I'll post some pictures or something to help anyone else wondering about this?
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

Name : Marc

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 7:57 am

Jack the R wrote:
I had my vent piece out recently while I touched up the paint on the door panel.  Both door vents are part of one plastic part that runs down to the other end of the vent in the door panel - you know, the part that seals against the dash when the door is closed.  It's easy enough to remove.  There's a screw at the top/front of the door panel, one at the top/back of the door panel, one under a cover behind the interior door handle, and two under covers in the door pull.  Once you have those removed, the door panel lifts up.  Before you pull up the door panel, find something around 12 inches tall and put it inside the door, so you have something to sit the heavy door panel on.  There are three or four connectors you'll have to undo, if you want to take the door panel somewhere else to work.  For this job, you don't really have to.  The door vent is only held on by two pressed on nuts at the top, and the rubber piece at the bottom.  It's not even a little hard to remove, but be careful not to lose the little nut things (actually they're more like washers, I don't know what they're properly called).  

If you do this and want to go back to stock later you'll have to find another vent piece.

I know this post is old, but what color is the door panel you touched up and where did you get the pain, was it vinyl paint?
I have a teal interior but just acquired a nice ruby red panel and have stripped it of all the trim to use in my Riv.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 12:56 am

The short answer is that you want to find the closet SEM paint store - Link

-and take your car to them to have a custom blend made.  Your paint isn't the same color now as it was 25 years ago.  The SEM store will have a device that will scan the current color of your paint, then they can mix a color that will match what you currently have.

I posted my color matching adventure here - Link

You could use some of the sites I linked to to figure out what  your color is called, and it might still be available, but I wouldn't go that route unless you are way too far from an SEM store.

BTW SEM also sells a "vinyl prep." I don't know if it's any better than wiping the part down with 97% rubbing alcohol. I used it and the soap, mostly because I like to see the products bonk

rivi95era likes this post

Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 6:04 am

Thank you Jack_the_r, that is very helpful. Sadly the only SEM stores where I live are Oreilly auto. Maybe they will have a match that is close. Just so long as the door panel is red anymore right?! lmao
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 5:23 pm

I tried to get SEM from my local O'Reillys and they didn't know what it was, although they're supposed to carry it. I ordered mine from eBay. I had to try a couple shades of grey before I found the right one. Right when it was new, a little off now. It looks like Buick only had one teal for 95 (GM Medium Dark Teal, 37/W5A118A/W12A118A, 49672 (Low Gloss)/49755 (Semi Gloss)) so you may not have so much trouble getting a match.
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I tried to get SEM from my local O'Reillys and they didn't know what it was, although they're supposed to carry it.  I ordered mine from eBay.  I had to try a couple shades of grey before I found the right one.  Right when it was new, a little off now.  It looks like Buick only had one teal for 95 (GM Medium Dark Teal, 37/W5A118A/W12A118A, 49672 (Low Gloss)/49755 (Semi Gloss)) so you may not have so much trouble getting a match.  

Thanks for all your help. Ill see if I can find it there and on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 7:38 pm

No problem, check my work before ordering Medium Dark Teal.  If you've got a lighter blue then that ain't what you're looking for lol
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 7:47 am

Jack the R wrote:
No problem, check my work before ordering Medium Dark Teal.  If you've got a lighter blue then that ain't what you're looking for lol
The interior is pretty dark, I found a vinyl paint that looked right at the store, but was in fact too light. I am close to a sherwin williams store but I dont know that they do vinyl paint.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 8:17 am

I would't waste my time and $, get the SEM. Nothing else will be as close.
Back to top Go down
rivi95era
Enthusiast
rivi95era

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) EmptyMon Aug 31, 2020 5:19 am

Ill see what I can dig up. Thanks for the info happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)   Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv) Empty

Back to top Go down

Taking out door vent for gauge? (95-99 Riv)
Page 1 of 1