The 8th Gen Riviera Resource
 
HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in

Share | 
 

 New fuel pump?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Steve98
Member
Steve98

Name : Steve
Location : Atlanta, Georgia
Joined : 2008-06-10
Post Count : 80
Merit : 2

PostSubject: New fuel pump?   Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm

My engine is throwing two codes - one for running lean and one for random cylinder misfires. Seems clear they are related. I took it to my mechanic to figure out what was going on and after three days he said my fuel pressure was 25 when it should be 50. I need a new fuel pump, he says. I asked if he tried replacing the fuel filter, checked the voltage to the pump or checked the fuel lines for clogs. He said he didn't. So now I'm annoyed. Shouldn't a thorough diagnosis have checked those things?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7110
Merit : 137

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Fuel filters are tough to check, rarely have dirt in them and easy to replace. They can trap a good bit of water depending on your fuel habits. And if he's replacing the pump the filter should be replaced anyway as well.

Unless there is physical evidence to the contrary (kinks, dents, corrosion) the fuel lines are not likely to be clogged. Does not mean don't check them, just means it's rare.
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Member
Steve98

Name : Steve
Location : Atlanta, Georgia
Joined : 2008-06-10
Post Count : 80
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback you've been providing, albertj. I'm feeling my way with this mechanic, trying to decide if I can trust him.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Age : 62
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1613
Merit : 110

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Don't forget the fuel pressure regulator as well. Fuel pressure testing gauge kits are cheap on Ebay. If you pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator, the pressure should jump up.

If you have to replace the fuel pump, take a look at it by taking the inspection plate off in the trunk. It isn't uncommon to have significant rot of the tabs that hold the pump down. There are ways to deal with that, but if your mechanic sees that, he may tell you that the tank needs to be replaced. That's a big job on the Riviera.

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Age : 66
Location : L.I NY
Joined : 2008-03-09
Post Count : 108
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Don't forget the fuel pressure regulator as well.  Fuel pressure testing gauge kits are cheap on Ebay.  If you pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator, the pressure should jump up.

If you have to replace the fuel pump, take a look at it by taking the inspection plate off in the trunk.  It isn't uncommon to have significant rot of the tabs that hold the pump down.  There are ways to deal with that, but if your mechanic sees that, he may tell you that the tank needs to be replaced.  That's a big job on the Riviera.
Don't we know all about that Wizard bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Age : 62
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1613
Merit : 110

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 pm

71stagegs wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
Don't forget the fuel pressure regulator as well.  Fuel pressure testing gauge kits are cheap on Ebay.  If you pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator, the pressure should jump up.

If you have to replace the fuel pump, take a look at it by taking the inspection plate off in the trunk.  It isn't uncommon to have significant rot of the tabs that hold the pump down.  There are ways to deal with that, but if your mechanic sees that, he may tell you that the tank needs to be replaced.  That's a big job on the Riviera.
Don't we know all about that Wizard bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk

Yes we do. Good old Northeast salt on the roads. lmao

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7110
Merit : 137

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:25 am

71stagegs wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
Don't forget the fuel pressure regulator as well.  Fuel pressure testing gauge kits are cheap on Ebay.  If you pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator, the pressure should jump up.

If you have to replace the fuel pump, take a look at it by taking the inspection plate off in the trunk.  It isn't uncommon to have significant rot of the tabs that hold the pump down.  There are ways to deal with that, but if your mechanic sees that, he may tell you that the tank needs to be replaced.  That's a big job on the Riviera.
Don't we know all about that Wizard bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk

There is an old thread on this site dealing with that rusty locking tab thing - -and I think new ones are available from RockAuto.com

...so if you don't mess up the opening getting the old one out, you're golden...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1997,riviera,3.8l+v6+supercharged,1022050,fuel/air,fuel+tank+lock+ring,10325

Tank's plastic.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Age : 62
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1613
Merit : 110

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 am

No, the tabs on the tank rot off, so there is nothing for the locking ring to attach to.

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t10875-rusty-fuel-tank-tab-repair?highlight=rusty+fuel+tank

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 7110
Merit : 137

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
No, the tabs on the tank rot off, so there is nothing for the locking ring to attach to.

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t10875-rusty-fuel-tank-tab-repair?highlight=rusty+fuel+tank

Thanks for the reminder.

Didn't the thread you referred to include something on making a repair plate for the tank?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Age : 62
Location : Oakland Gardens, NY
Joined : 2007-01-23
Post Count : 1613
Merit : 110

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 pm

albertj wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
No, the tabs on the tank rot off, so there is nothing for the locking ring to attach to.

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t10875-rusty-fuel-tank-tab-repair?highlight=rusty+fuel+tank

Thanks for the reminder.  

Didn't the thread you referred to include something on making a repair plate for the tank?

Yes, Ken Lisk made a number of rings that replaced the tabs. You had to affix that ring to the tank with 4 screws. It worked fairly well, but it didn't quite push the pump down enough to seal it completely. I used some windshield urethane to help that out. If I ever have to replace the pump again (doubtful), I'll have to use a razor blade to cut it out. lmao

_________________
98 Riviera SC3800  All stock except gutted air box.
1970 Buick GS455 Stage1, TSP built 470BBB, 602HP/589TQ
Best MPH, 116.06 MPH, Best ET, 11.54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Member
Steve98

Name : Steve
Location : Atlanta, Georgia
Joined : 2008-06-10
Post Count : 80
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   Today at 5:44 pm

I'm grateful for the feedback I get from the good people here. My feeling that I was being given an inadequate diagnosis of my fuel pressure issue has been proven accurate. Two separate highly regarded shops told me I needed a new fuel pump, but each time I was not happy with the effort they put into that diagnosis. Finally, I found a shop that rolled up their sleeves and did a proper diagnosis. Turns out the fuel pump is fine. It's the fuel pressure regulator that is failing. I'm really glad I stuck to my guns and demanded thoroughness. I've finally found a shop I can trust. Will be getting my Riv fully sorted over the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: New fuel pump?   

Back to top Go down
 
New fuel pump?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Fuel Pump on 660
» Afermarket Fuel Pump Replacement for the KQ 700 & 750
» 06 660 rhino fuel pump
» fuel pump problems
» Teryx Fuel Pump

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: