Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks

Go down 
+63
dbriviera
gunmetalRED
KnottyEagle
charlieRobinson
matt270avian
KenBluder
Abaddon
96_Juggernaut
al_roethlisberger
joshuadalegrimes
Andysdorm
brutusk1
96riv
LARRY70GS
The Roadmaster
Jelorian
Jayrydingslab
95 rivieramn
wootzgarage
GMFreak8
Cmurphy
soulbladexll
BMD
Snowdog
JT Newman
VJD2
moldymac
96RIVMANN
Z-type
97 park ave
woggy
akh
robotennis61
Natesriv
johnd89
Ryan from Ohio
71stagegs
maggot
mdhall1
TonySmooth89
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
napalmpt
'96reese
Lucas
98riv
palermocorey90
turtleman
chitown_riv98
albertj
Mr.Riviera
paulie710
deekster_caddy
TType_Riviera
1998 Riv
oldsman105
jax95riv
AA
Jack the R
T Riley
jhodges
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 pm

So, I just pulled the ELC fuse from underneath the backseat and It's blown! I have faith that a replacement fuse will get my compressor working again.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Or... your pump blew the fuse when it died. J/K, hope it works!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:37 pm

The ELC system is actually pretty robust. The most common problem is the shocks themselves leaking. Fortunately replacement air shocks aren't very expensive, and usually that cures the leaks.

If you follow the tubing into the little clips you will find the compressor on the passenger side rear, just behind the wheel well.
Back to top Go down
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

Name : Kristin

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:53 pm

KnottyEagle wrote:
So, I just pulled the ELC fuse from underneath the backseat and It's blown! I have faith that a replacement fuse will get my compressor working again.

My money is on the fuse, good luck! Mine blew last week when I loaded down my car with stuff moving from Toledo to Cincinnati. Popped a new fuse in and the compressor purrs like a kitten.

The only part of the ELC system that poses a serious issue, in my opinion, is the actual sensor. There are no new ones left to buy, only junkyard finds.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 am

Going to get me a new fuse tomorrow. Hope it works!
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

Name : Dave Derhak
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 12:53 am

I  bought another 89 Riviera. Same ODO (About 170,000km) as the one in my avatar but in dark blue and in a little better shape in and out. New tires and brakes all around came with along with a 1 year old paint job. The suspension suffered from marshmallow front end syndrome. Two new Monroe Sensitrac struts (re-used current OE springs) and a sway bar link kit (broken link) were in order.
I looked up a set of Gabriel Hi-Jackers online to fit the Riv and the auto parts store cross referenced to a Monroe part and... viola the drives like new! The ride control firmed up noticeably. Its like a different car. Ill work on getting the ALC functional next.

The struts were 90 each ( about 75 in US )

Front Struts example

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-and-steering/shock-strut-front/buick/riviera/1998/6-cylinders-1-3-8l-fi-sc-ohv

or in canada

http://www.amazon.ca/Monroe-71665-Sensa-Trac-Strut/dp/B000C55NXW/ref=sr_1_23?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417939640&vehicle=1998-45-394-20--7-6-5-1222-377-1-1-964--1-0&sr=1-23&ymm=1998%3Abuick%3Ariviera&keywords=struts

same one in USA cheaper but allot!

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-71665-Sensa-Trac-Strut/dp/B000C55NXW/ref=sr_1_23?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417939640&vehicle=1998-45-394-20--7-6-5-1222-377-1-1-964--1-0&sr=1-23&ymm=1998%3Abuick%3Ariviera&keywords=struts

The shocks out back  90 for pair in Canada ( but I think in USA you can get for 75 or less)... bolted on and clipped on the air line (don't lose the little clips!)  and all done... Pretty much any shock website has hi jackers. Theres a pile of kits with overload springs if you want to ditch the air shocks. Or you can replaced a f'd compressor with a reman unit or just put the lines into the trunk and do a manual fill when needed. Suncore makes everything you need in any path you wish to pursue.
and drives like new! The ride control firmed up noticeably. Its like a different car. Ill work on getting the ALC functional next.

Rear Shocks example

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA822-Max-Air-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000C55T7W/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Buick%7C45&Model=Riviera%7C394&Year=1998%7C1998&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-and-steering/shock-strut-rear/buick/riviera/1998/6-cylinders-1-3-8l-fi-sc-ohv

PS All the expensive air shock kits are pretty much the same  75-99 dollar Hi Jackers , just 100-200 more for some reason (same box, same shock but more stickers on it). The less pricey air-shock performance is very good ... and it took all the tail bobbing away.

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/buick-riviera-suspension.php?CAPCID=45681056183&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiA74qkBRCdrM-6or7U73QSJABCDL9pHKaOuTMgZt8NH1JSt1_xhPrFeyaJueWWqIxkJNri3RoCyEPw_wcB&CA_6C15C=530007020000696637

Compressor Reman.

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/BUICK-SUSPENSION/riviera/buick-riviera-suspension-compressor.htm

Arnott Industries makes New compressors and are competitively priced...

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_BUICK_yid10_pid90.html

Air Dryer Rebuild Kit

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/gm-vehicles-type-2-air-ride-suspension-compressor-dryer-rebuild-kit/255407399.html

###UPDATE DEC 13 ALC is restored!
I removed the compressor and identified the wires that looked like they ran the compressor motor. By applying 12 volts, I could get the pump to run. I suspected it was running because I could here it run sometimes and by the time I would run around to the RH tail of the car the sound would stop. But indeed it was the pump. So the next step was to run it while connected to the shocks. SO I used long alligator clamped leads and a battery and hooked up the lines. The answer... Leaking o ring at RH shock. Replaced o-ring and reinstalled compressor assembly and now its working like the day it left the factory.
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

Name : Dave Derhak
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 2:18 am

BMD wrote:
Thanks for the response guys. Rockauto does usually have better prices but then we get nailed with the shipping cost to get it up here. But just out of curiosity, what exactly has to be done to convert over to regular non self-levelling shock?

If you haven't figured it out yet the answer is to buy a set of shocks with coil springs on them. Its a kit for the riviera. I posted a bunch of links on this since your question.

this is what you can use. Just disconnect the old system and remove the ALC fuse under the back see (see owners manual)

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=869197

Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the info Dave, but what would happen if someone just installed regular shocks without the coilovers? The Riv has its own coils back there.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 10:39 am

BMD wrote:
Thanks for the info Dave, but what would happen if someone just installed regular shocks without the coilovers? The Riv has its own coils back there.

It would be like having regular shocks. No height compensation, the stock springs are a bit soft and count on the air leveling to take up the load. So when you are empty in the back it would look fine, and when you have stuff in the trunk it would sag in the back a bit.

With the coilovers you get permanent lift all the time, so when it's empty it will sit a little high in the back and when you have a load it will sit a bit flatter, but you have no control over how much lift the coilovers give. I'm a big fan of the air leveling system. It works very well when all the pieces are there and hooked up right. Worst case get a junkyard compressor - the compressors are pretty reliable. They've been using the same basic design since the 80's and it works well.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Quote :
It would be like having regular shocks. No height compensation, the stock springs are a bit soft and count on the air leveling to take up the load. So when you are empty in the back it would look fine, and when you have stuff in the trunk it would sag in the back a bit.

I'll add that over time the rear springs sag a little, so having no air for support can cause the back end to droop with a full tank of gas. If you're doing conventional shocks, I'd put a fresh set of springs in as well, or better yet use a set of stiffer custom made coils.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Gotcha, thanks for that info, all the best to everyone for the holidays!
Back to top Go down
doctorthor
Rookie
doctorthor

Name : doctorthor
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 12:43 pm

How often are these compressors supposed to run and how loud are they? Mines pretty loud when I first got car I thought it was fuel pump going out.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 12:52 am

doctorthor wrote:
How often are these compressors supposed to run and how loud are they?  Mines pretty loud when I first got car I thought it was fuel pump going out.

...different ones will be somewhat different loudness even when new.

...compressor will run for up to 45 seconds, a couple minutes after you start the car. If it runs the full 45 sec while lightly/not loaded you have a problem somewhere, leaking. When loaded it will run the full 45 sec., pause, then run again until the load is compensated for.

..if it runs frequently while you are driving the car lightly loaded (just driver @ 175 lbs) there may be a problem.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Denton_NOLATX
Special

Name : Denton

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 3:15 am

I have a 98 with about 160,000 miles on it. My compressor rattles like crazy when it cycles. I've tried to remove the shield to see what makes it rattle but the shield will NOT come off! If there a special way to remove it? Also, is there a cheap compressor that I can use to replace mine if I cannot get it to stop rattling so loud?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 9:45 am

Denton_NOLATX wrote:
I have a 98 with about 160,000 miles on it. My compressor rattles like crazy when it cycles. I've tried to remove the shield to see what makes it rattle but the shield will NOT come off! If there a special way to remove it? Also, is there a cheap compressor that I can use to replace mine if I cannot get it to stop rattling so loud?

You aren't going to get it to stop. The compressor is coming apart on you. Just replace it. They get loud AS HELL before they finally stop working. I say just deal with it until it actually fails. That's what I'd do anyway.
Back to top Go down
doctorthor
Rookie
doctorthor

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 9:49 am

I thought it may be leaking I sprayed soapy water where the lines go to the shocks. Didn't see any bubbles. Guess I'll pull compressor check there. Do the shocks internally leak possibly? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
doctorthor
Rookie
doctorthor

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:01 am

Wonder if you put a gauge on output see if your getting good pressure from compressor.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:07 am

doctorthor wrote:
I thought it may be leaking I sprayed soapy water where the lines go to the shocks. Didn't see any bubbles. Guess I'll pull compressor check there. Do the shocks internally leak possibly? Thanks.

More often than not, the rubber air bags go bad and leak air externally. If you have factory shocks, you'd be able to see the bags. If you have the Delco replacements, the bags are surrounded by the shock body, and you wouldn't be able to see them.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:45 am

Abaddon wrote:

doctorthor wrote:

More often than not, the rubber air bags go bad and leak air externally. If you have factory shocks, you'd be able to see the bags. If you have the Delco replacements, the bags are surrounded by the shock body, and you wouldn't be able to see them.

If they're originals they're probably gone. Check and see if the bags are dry rotted like mine were.
Back to top Go down
doctorthor
Rookie
doctorthor

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Got my rear Monroe's installed. Made a big difference in high speed corners on the highway:). Feels much more stable. I hardly ever hear the compressor running now. pressurized the old shocks on the bench the bags were leaking bad. Not a bad 60 dollar investment easiest shocks I've ever changed.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 2:42 pm

I've noticed going over bumps with the rear end causes it to start vibrating and sometimes the rear end will "fish tale" I guess. I also noticed if you are on the brakes and hit a bump the wheels will do their usually "vibrate" and then I can feel the abs ticking in the pedal like one or both of the wheels have lost speed (contact with the road). I jacked the back up and pushed and pulled on either side of the wheel and everything felt tight, so while I was in there I greased the front and back end and rotate tires. Still does the same thing. The car has 140,000 miles on it and I'm guessing the shocks are original. They don't leak but they look pretty crusty where the bag overlaps the shock tube. I'm going to replace them tomorrow with the Monroe replacements (MA822) and hopefully the bottom two bolts on each side come out easily (sprayed them this afternoon with penetrating oil). What exactly is the issue with the o-rings in the connector? I'm having my dad bring a couple home that look to be the same size, otherwise I can run back to the parts store and get the line kit, which they do have in stock.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 2:59 pm

stydel311 wrote:
What exactly is the issue with the o-rings in the connector?

They corrode themselves to the shock body, making it damn near impossible to get them out without damaging the line itself. The shitty part about it all is that you have to buy an entire line kit and use literally 4 pieces out of it. The rest of the kit ends up being garbage. I keep every spare air line end that I replace or don't need. Any time I have to splice into a line (because of the line being stuck in the shock), I just cut the end off, and use a 1/8" Compression fitting to patch a new connector on. No sense in replacing all the lines.....

So, if you have to purchase a line kit, just buy yourself two 1/8" Compression fittings to go along with it, then cut and paste.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Abaddon wrote:

stydel311 wrote:
What exactly is the issue with the o-rings in the connector?

They corrode themselves to the shock body, making it damn near impossible to get them out without damaging the line itself. The shitty part about it all is that you have to buy an entire line kit and use literally 4 pieces out of it. The rest of the kit ends up being garbage. I keep every spare air line end that I replace or don't need. Any time I have to splice into a line (because of the line being stuck in the shock), I just cut the end off, and use a 1/8" Compression fitting to patch a new connector on. No sense in replacing all the lines.....

So, if you have to purchase a line kit, just buy yourself two 1/8" Compression fittings to go along with it, then cut and paste.
So most likely it will do this. Just cut the old elbow off a couple inches down, then use a new end from the kit, cut it off a few inches down and use the compression fitting to connect the new elbow's few inches of line to the existing airline in the car?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 3:34 pm

stydel311 wrote:
So most likely it will do this. Just cut the old elbow off a couple inches down, then use a new end from the kit, cut it off a few inches down and use the compression fitting to connect the new elbow's few inches of line to the existing airline in the car?

Bingo.
If you have to do this, make sure you use a pick or something of that nature to make sure the end of the line isn't crimped once you cut it. It may take a little effort to get those little compression rings on the line. They're definitely a tight fit.....and don't forget to put the caps on first!!! (I've done it a million times dunce )
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Abaddon wrote:

stydel311 wrote:

Bingo.
If you have to do this, make sure you use a pick or something of that nature to make sure the end of the line isn't crimped once you cut it. It may take a little effort to get those little compression rings on the line. They're definitely a tight fit.....and don't forget to put the caps on first!!! (I've done it a million times dunce )

Could I skip doing the compression fitting and replace the entire line with the new elbow and the length of tubing that it's on? Also I'd rather not make 12 trips to the stores so I'm going to buy 4 bolts, lock nuts, and washers because even though I sprayed them with penetrating oil I'm guessing the spring clips or bolts will break at the base. Do you know what size bolt I should get?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next