The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in

Brake light and low brake fluid light

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cmilsp

Name : Cassie M Milspaugh
Merit : 0

Brake light and low brake fluid light Empty
PostSubject: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 am

I have a 2006 Buick Rendezvous CX. Recently purchased. The brake light AND low brake fluid light are on. I topped it off on brake fluid it has not gone down any. The parking brake is all the way up. The dinging does NOT shut off but maybe if your lucky 5 seconds. The brakes are not spoungey. Anybody know what could be wrong. Waiting to barrow floor jack so I can bleed the brakes to see if that is the issue.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Merit : 141

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

I used to own one of these, a 2004 Ultra with every option except self-leveling rear suspension.

Check to see that the brake fluid level sensor in the master cylinder reservoir is plugged in, and will stay plugged in by itself. You *may* need to replace the reservoir to get a new sensor. You *may* need to remove the reservoir to properly clean it. You *may* need the Tech II to reset things. Beyond that - brakes are important and you ought not drive it until after visually inspecting the entire system - MC, ABS motor, lines (hard and soft), calipers.

If you don't drain and fill the brake fluid in the RDV every couple years or more often (annually) it eventually does weird stuff like this.

PS: My wild guess is maybe your RDV was wrecked and the shop did a half-baked job on aspects of the repairs. People I know who have those cars, once they get them 'dialed in' do *not* want to let them go until they are wrecked, thrashed, or worn beyond economical repair.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 111

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Every so often, I siphon the old brake fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with new. Every time I do that, the brake light goes on. I tap the side of the reservoir with a small wrench and the light goes out. Try that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Merit : 141

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Every so often, I siphon the old brake fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with new.  Every time I do that, the brake light goes on.  I tap the side of the reservoir with a small wrench and the light goes out.  Try that.

I remove reservoir from the MC and use dry gas with no additives and a small shop rag folded over a thin metal bar (for instance one of the old-fashioned stainless  steel windshield wiper refill stiffeners) to clean it and the channel it rides in.  Because it's brakes, and different MC reservoirs differ a little, I don't recommend that people do that -- but I don't mind stating that is precisely what I have done in such a case.

What I might recommend... as inexpensive as the MC reservoirs are, you might just want to replace the reservoir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake light and low brake fluid light
Page 1 of 1