Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

What do we do for motor mounts now?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

What do we do for motor mounts now? Empty
PostSubject: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 6:37 pm

A second shop had my car on a lift today to check for the rest of my steering vibration ( it happens when going from drive to reverse and turning the wheel to the right). They saw the front mount touching the frame under stress. It looks like parts are discontinued, this is the list I got from the dealer over the phone.

25723646 need 2
Please point me in the right direction if there still is one? Thank you.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 8:57 pm

If front means the mount nearest the radiator support, get them from RockAuto.com, aftermarket.

If front means the mount nearest the passenger side unibody box member, get it from a dismantler, most likely one of the California or Arizona junkyards.

25695084 was superseded, ask a GM dealer. I think the replacement is 22174975.

You can get 25723646 via amazon.com

Albertj
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 pm

The one near the radiator is definitely no good but it's amazing I don't hear it banging. Albert tell me if this is crazy please. Can I have a problem with the power steering pump? I hear a super slight wine with it but the main problem is when I throw the car in reverse and if I have to turn the wheel I I hear a noise but there's not too much resistance in the wheel. I'm thinking of putting a power steering pump in just to try it. You're quite knowledgeable with these cars.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 9:01 am

These GM (Saginaw) PS pumps are not real complicated and sometimes make charming noises. A slight whine is no surprise and is not something I would chase down.

Now, the motor/transmission mounts? I'd fix those post-haste. You just do not want 240+/- horsepower flopping around with wack mounts. Oh, heck no.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyThu May 02, 2019 8:45 pm

I don't hear any banging,just the charming grinding after the car goes into reverse. I now saw the passenger wheel bouncing or vibrating when turning to the right,stopped and in reverse.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyFri May 03, 2019 9:31 am

carguy8888 wrote:
I don't hear any banging,just the charming grinding after the car goes into reverse. I now saw the passenger wheel bouncing or vibrating when turning to the right,stopped and in reverse.

Fix the mounts as soon as you can, because all that torque will break other stuff unless your engine and transmission is properly mounted.  Without going into details I'll just say there's not a whole lot of leeway engineered into the Riv's mounting scheme, which they designed as they did primarily to reduce NVH.  **Any** piece that's not right causes overstress on the other pieces, which will then fail much more rapidly.  I was told that this is one reason why that front transmission mount (on the H member by the radiator support) in the aftermarket is a chunky piece of rubber.  The original one was a spindly X.  The replacement is a robust 0. I was also told that is also part of the reason why in the 99s they used a significantly different strategy for mounting the engine and transmission. 99s mounts are simpler and cheaper - I do not think they are interchangeable with the earlier ones though.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyFri May 03, 2019 2:44 pm

I called ACDelco and found all the part numbers, a few of them don't even come up on the Internet so it's going to be a mission trying to find them.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyFri May 03, 2019 4:51 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
I called ACDelco and found all the part numbers, a few of them don't even come up on the Internet so it's going to be a mission trying to find them.

No it's not a "mission" really, just an errand.  I reiterate:

• The mount nearest the radiator support, get them from RockAuto.com, aftermarket.  You can get a complete mount or just the insert.  A little silicone grease or dollar-store dish detergent as lube will help you slide an insert into place.  You **might** have to burn the old one out; if it is truly wack it will come out in pieces, just pull the pieces with pliers or some such.  

• Get the mount nearest the passenger side unibody box member, get it from a dismantler, most likely one of the California or Arizona junkyards.  The rubber in it is bonded to the metal so you will need it complete.  Sorry yours is bad, mine is still fine after almost 370,000 miles.

• 25695084 was superseded, ask a GM dealer;  I think the replacement is 22174975.  When I replaced mine, the 4975 replaced any of the earlier mounts in that position.

• Finally, no kidding, You can get 25723646 via amazon.com

Albertj
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptySat May 04, 2019 10:26 pm

That really helps, when I get back from vacation I'm going to sort it out.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyThu May 30, 2019 8:49 am

Good morning guys,
I ended up replacing the front left Mount by the radiator and a rear transmission mount with new oe parts. It seems I have a vibration now after idling 30 seconds in drive. will this get better or should I see if something is not right?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyThu May 30, 2019 10:50 am

carguy8888 wrote:
Good morning guys,
I ended up replacing the front left Mount by the radiator and a rear transmission mount with new oe parts. It seems I have a vibration now after idling 30 seconds in drive. will this get better or should I see if something is not right?

I don't know what to do about this one. I would consider loosening the through bolts (the ones that go thru the mount) a bit (not so much loose as, just not tight) and drive it a couple hundred feet to settle it - then tighten the through bolts right back up while the car is level on the ground and off. Also check the transmission mounts, I bet the one in the drivers side front wheel well is wack.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyThu May 30, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm going to bring it back to my guy Saturday, thank you Captain.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 9:57 am

It turns out my passenger strut mount was the culprit of 95% of my noise. Between that and the couple of OE motor mounts it feels great. Once again thank you for your guru advice. Glad I do not have to deal with a rack.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 10:35 am

carguy8888 wrote:
It turns out my passenger strut mount was the culprit of 95% of my noise. Between that and the couple of OE motor mounts it feels great. Once again thank you for your guru advice. Glad I do not have to deal with a rack.

Interesting, I would not have thought a strut mount going wack would lead to vibration at idle.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 10:56 am

It must have been vibrating through the car. It also fix the groan when I was turning wheel while parking.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm

These cars are really nice when they're working right.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Totally agree.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Jack the R wrote:
These cars are really nice when they're working right.

...and with scheduled/preventive maintenance, along with insights from this site (when to replace the ignition switch?!?! really!?!?!) they work right a lot.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Great idea, I need to search that.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 am

carguy8888 wrote:
Great idea, I need to search that.

Hint:  look at the FAQs and Write-Ups.  The "chronic" problems, and there are not that many,  are pretty much all solved in the FAQs and a variety of useful things are covered in the Write-Ups.
Back to top Go down
DJROBJ
Amateur

Name : Rob J
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptySun Jan 29, 2023 8:14 pm

Where are you guys getting engine mounts these days? Rock Auto doesn't list any engine mounts that I could find any longer.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyMon Jan 30, 2023 11:08 am

That sucks. They may come into stock again later. Or they may not. Since you've got to call a dismantler to get the passenger side mount, you could ask about the radiator mount too. I'm not fond of reusing ancient rubber, but if that's all you can get . . .

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2023 2:19 pm

DJROBJ wrote:
Where are you guys getting engine mounts these days?  Rock Auto doesn't list any engine mounts that I could find any longer.

The upper mount by the pullies has been unobtainable for a long time.

The upper mount that's more or less in the left front wheelhouse is only available from GM and is tricky to fit - IIRC it's for another application but fits the Riv if you hold your mouth right when aligning it.

The lower mounts are listed under 'transmission mount' in rockauto.com - I just looked at the MY 1998 listing.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DJROBJ
Amateur

Name : Rob J
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2023 7:53 pm

albertj wrote:
DJROBJ wrote:
Where are you guys getting engine mounts these days?  Rock Auto doesn't list any engine mounts that I could find any longer.

The upper mount by the pullies has been unobtainable for a long time.

The upper mount that's more or less in the left front wheelhouse is only available from GM and is tricky to fit - IIRC it's for another application but fits the Riv if you hold your mouth right when aligning it.

The lower mounts are listed under 'transmission mount' in rockauto.com - I just looked at the MY 1998 listing.

Albertj

I have a 99, if I'm not mistaken, I think some of the engine/transmission mounts on the 99's are unique to 99.

My passenger side mount next to the pullies is fine. I recently removed it to do some deferred maintenance and it seems ok. The rear transmission in available (GM), however I don't see anything for the front large mount on the radiator crossmember. Mine doesn't appear to be too bad, but would like to change if it can be had. My car only has 80k miles on it, but I'm going completely through it to get it 100 percent sorted.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2023 8:47 pm

[ pimp url=https://servimg.com/view/20169161/17]What do we do for motor mounts now? Screen12[/url]
I bought this a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do we do for motor mounts now?   What do we do for motor mounts now? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do we do for motor mounts now?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next