The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in

Shaking at high speeds.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Enthusiast

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : -1

Shaking at high speeds. Empty
PostSubject: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 12:24 pm

I feel some shaking coming from the back of the car when on the highway. I just installed new tires and the shake was there both before and after. I watched the wheels get balanced and asked the tech to check if any rims were bent. He said the numbers would not be this good if any rims were bent. anything in particular on the rear suspension I should look at in particular? Maybe the bushings are original and 20 years old on a really rusted bottom.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 1:47 pm

You have to get it in the air and shake/spin/twist parts to find the cause.

I replaced all my rear end bushings (at about 175K miles I think) just because. Not sure I needed to - they don't take a flogging on this car like they do on say a GM minivan or an Audi.

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 1:56 pm

That's exactly what I'm going to do, I was just curious if they were any usual suspects.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 3:13 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
That's exactly what I'm going to do, I was just curious if they were any usual suspects.

I am not aware of any for the rears, except for wheel balance, bad shocks, bushings.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 3:36 pm

I guess I should hope for bushings or maybe a u joint?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 5:25 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
I guess I should hope for bushings or maybe a u joint?

No.

You're throwing darts talking about u-joints, there are *none*.

Again - you have to get it in the air and shake/spin/twist parts to find the cause. You may find perusing the FAQs and how-to's useful. FOr instance it coul be a wheel bearing BUT the ABS sensors are integrated into the bearings and they usually act up well, well before the bearing is that shot. And if you don't get crap rear wheel bearings to begin with, they will last well over 100,000 miles.

Also, the factory manual has a pretty good section on fixing NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) problems although it often uses a funky tester (which you don't need all that much if you actually read the section). Point is, if you don't have the factory manual for your car yet, get a set.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 6:15 pm

I do have my owners manual but I absolutely will get it on a lift.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 am

carguy8888 wrote:
... He said the numbers would not be this good if any rims were bent.
That's not quite true. Technically, any solid object can be balanced - a brick, for example.
In practical terms it means that even perfectly balanced wheel can cause vibrations.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 pm

DeepFrozen wrote:
carguy8888 wrote:
... He said the numbers would not be this good if any rims were bent.
That's not quite true. Technically, any solid object can be balanced - a brick, for example.
In practical terms it means that even perfectly balanced wheel can cause vibrations.

+1 that. The Riv likes tires that are actually round... my Continental was much more tolerant of tires than the Riviera is. Hands down.

Here's some light reading for everyone - one shop's opinion:

https://www.souzastireservice.com/tires-101/shakes-and-wobbles.aspx

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 pm

It certainly could need to be rebalanced, I'm going to try and stop by my shop tomorrow after work and see if they can throw it on the lift.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 pm

My trusted really good mechanic went through the whole car and found nothing wrong, glad he was honest. I guess I'll try rebalancing the wheels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaking at high speeds.   Shaking at high speeds. Empty

Back to top Go down

Shaking at high speeds.
Page 1 of 1