Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Radio Code Reset?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
David Jennings
Amateur

Name : David Reese Jennings
Merit : 0

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptySun Aug 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Hello.  I just realized I may need to remove the battery connections on my Riv for a couple hours.  I'm assuming that when I do so the radio will lock.  I got a bunch of numbers from the previous owner, but nothing that specifically lists the code for unlocking the radio.  Is there a way to reset the code while I have the radio working?  Thank you.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyMon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm

David Jennings wrote:
Hello.  I just realized I may need to remove the battery connections on my Riv for a couple hours.  I'm assuming that when I do so the radio will lock.  I got a bunch of numbers from the previous owner, but nothing that specifically lists the code for unlocking the radio.  Is there a way to reset the code while I have the radio working?  Thank you.

Do a search on this site to find the radio unlock instructions.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyMon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

It won't lock unless the theftlock is enabled. You can disable it if it is enabled before you disconnect the battery and it won't be a problem. Instructions are in your owner's manual. I believe there is a light on the radio that blinks if theftlock is enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyTue Aug 06, 2019 8:20 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
It won't lock unless the theftlock is enabled.  You can disable it if it is enabled before you disconnect the battery and it won't be a problem.  Instructions are in your owner's manual.  I believe there is a light on the radio that blinks if theftlock is enabled.

There is a light that blinks at 1/2 or 1/4 Hz right next to the "Theftlock" logo near the volume control. With the car and radio of watch the volume control and count to 20 or so - during the count, if the code is set you will see the light blink.

Again, there are instructions posted elsewhere on this site for resetting that thing no matter what code may be set, in case a code is set and you don't know/forget it.
Back to top Go down
R1V 1T UP
Enthusiast
R1V 1T UP

Name : Timothy
Merit : 0

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyThu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 pm

Radio unlock instructions are in the user manual. Did mine myself.
Back to top Go down
http://livinthedream1.bandcamp.com
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 2:20 am

I have looked in the owners manual for the Radio Theft Un-Lock procedure and cannot find it. I have used the search function this site using many different terms to try and find the procedure to unlock or disable the Theft-Deterrent Feature or Theftlock as GM calls it.

I have spent over 2 hours looking and searching this forum and have the owners manual in front of me and it doesn't tell you how to disable this feature so you can remove the battery without having the radio lock up on you.

The reason I've been looking at my Riviera owners manual and using the search function on here is the New to me, GM vehicle I now have has the same Theftlock feature and the manual doesn't give you any info on how to disable this feature.
I believe I did it on my Riviera, but can't remember how.
The radios are identical with the small red flashing light that I need to disable before I remove a battery cable to do some work on this truck.
In the Riv owners manual the subject starts at page 3-15 and goes to 3-17.

On page 3-17 there is a topic "Disabling the Theft-Deterrent Feature" But during the procedure it says to make the last 2 digits agree with your code. What friggin code.
If you don't have the code how can you disable it and if you had the code you wouldn't need to disable it..

If anyone has a clue about this frustrating subject, I would appreciate some help. I'm about to have a breakdown over this issue. The blood vessels in my neck are about to burst.

Thanks for any help,
Rick
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 8:56 am

Rick, to turn the theftlock feature on and off requires the code that was probably set by the original owner (I'm guessing that isn't you). If you didn't need the code, any thief could turn it off before ripping the radio out of your dash. He would need to power it up though. See if this helps,

https://repairpal.com/gm-theftlock-radio-issues

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 11:54 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
Rick, to turn the theftlock feature on and off requires the code that was probably set by the original owner (I'm guessing that isn't you).  If you didn't need the code, any thief could turn it off before ripping the radio out of your dash.  He would need to power it up though.  See if this helps,

https://repairpal.com/gm-theftlock-radio-issues

Some years ago I posted a note on this site about cracking into the radio of you lost the code, but can't find it.

If the red Theftlock LED is not blinking, the code is not set.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 12:41 pm

I posted under this heading "Radio Code Reset" but this is not what I want to do.

I'm trying to disable the TheftLock feature on my radio. I want the little Red light to stop blinking and go away.
I was somehow able to disable this feature from my Riv and was hoping that procedure that I used would be the same for this GM Delco radio.

I don't care if it gets stolen. I just want to be able to remove power (disconnect battery) without getting the LOC reading in the radio display.

As I remember it, by turning off the Theftlock, you can avoid having to call GM / Delco Radio to get a code to turn the radio back on (and Theftlock back ON.)  I need OFF.

Can't find anything online, on YouTube, this forum, the Silverado forum,etc. Am I going nuts.????

Wondering how I got the red blinking light off on the Riv and still be able to use the Radio.

Just thought someone on here may have remembered. Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking, it's out there somewhere and heck what else have I got to do. happy

Edit to add: The Theftlock is totally separate from VATS, as I recall. And my newer vehicle 05 Silverado does not have the VATS system. No chip in these keys.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 1:40 pm

The only way I have ever turned it off and on, and I have done so several times when changing the battery, is to use the code I set when I bought my car back in 2004. I do think you are driving yourself nuts based on this quote from your previous post,

"If anyone has a clue about this frustrating subject, I would appreciate some help. I'm about to have a breakdown over this issue. The blood vessels in my neck are about to burst."

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

I'm calm now, almost Zen. Wish I smoked pot, I hear that can help, or maybe not.

But what's the worst that can happen when I remove power to the whole vehicle including the radio.

I can call GM and see if any of the GM Dealer Codes that are listed in a YouTube video still work.

Otherwise I try to find someone with a Tech 2 that won't over charge me.

Once again, thanks for bringing me back to earth and reality. Good Talk.

Rick
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Rickw wrote:
Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

I'm calm now, almost Zen. Wish I smoked pot, I hear that can help, or maybe not.

But what's the worst that can happen when I remove power to the whole vehicle including the radio.

I can call GM and see if any of the GM Dealer Codes that are listed in a YouTube video still work.

Otherwise I try to find someone with a Tech 2 that won't over charge me.

Once again, thanks for bringing me back to earth and reality. Good Talk.

Rick

Save your $$ don't do pot.

https://itstillruns.com/disable-chevy-theftlock-5935184.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radio Code Reset? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Code Reset?   Radio Code Reset? Empty

Back to top Go down

Radio Code Reset?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-