Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear subframe rust

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

Name : Snerk Irkman
Merit : 0

Rear subframe rust Empty
PostSubject: Rear subframe rust   Rear subframe rust EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 am

I'll try to keep this short.  Just picked up a 98 for a winter driver.  "Most" of the underside looks darn good for a 22yo car.  Except right rear subframe by body mount.  Used this to negotiate a substantial reduction from asking price. I read thru all 5 pages of the rust sticky but doesn't address this particular piece.  Is this a relatively easy piece to replace or should I have a welding shop look at patching?  Thanks

Body is mostly excellent except one previous panel repair paint isn't a perfect match. Interior is very clean. 118k

Rear subframe rust Dsc_1010
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Rear subframe rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear subframe rust   Rear subframe rust EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Snerkman,
I had the same thing happen to my car, also a 98, and I was able to get a complete rear suspension mount, (RSSP)which is what that part is called by GM, For $100.00 in "A" condition from one of those large Junk Yards that have locations all around the country. I asked the local yard about it and they found one in their Arizona yard and had it shipped to them here in MA. They have trucks constantly moving parts around the country so there is NO shipping charge to the local yard for pick-up. IIRC that part actually fit's quite a few different different GM cars and year ranges, so it's easier to get than the front cradle.
If you don't mind waiting a few days it's well worth it because the other ones that I looked up on line wanted between $450.00 and $600.00 shipped to me.

The companies I have near me are LKQ Auto and the other one I think is Nationwide Auto Parts.
I'll try and find the business cards I have somewhere. Ended up buying that $100.00 unit but never could change it out due to back problems so it went in the trunk with the car to the boneyard.

Don't know where your located but I could probably buy it back for less than $100.00 but I wouldn't be able to put it on a pallet and ship it to you.

To answer your question, NO a welding place can't help with that now. It's too far gone and it's much easier to replace the unit with a good one that hasn't lived in the rust belt.
Back to top Go down
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

Rear subframe rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear subframe rust   Rear subframe rust EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks Rick, I really appreciate that info. There is an LKQ less than an hour from me and a local body shop where I know some of the guys uses them regularly.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Rear subframe rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear subframe rust   Rear subframe rust EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Glad to hear you have an LKQ near you. It's so nice to be able to get a "Condition" assessment" Such as a "A+", "A", "A-" , etc before you even see the part and can trust that's exactly what your going to get.

The one that show up here was listed as an "A", but only because it had some small areas that needed sanding and painting.

It was only the factory paint that had some small issues. The metal was as solid as brand new. I was going to either sand blast it, prime then paint or just use some sandpaper and paint it. That's all it really needed to be an "A+".

Good luck with your search and good luck with the replacing of the unit. There could be some hick-ups in the dis-assembly but not anything definite.  Just spray the heck out of all the mounting points and the rear tie rods(if that's what there called) with penetrating spray periodically while you wait for a new part. I would spray with penetrating spray every few days and try to loosen stuff up even before you get the new support so you can see if you may need some other parts to get the job done.

The rear is so much easier and less expensive than the front cradle. I paid $500.00 for the front cradle from Morads before I knew about LKQ being a few miles from me and what their cost policy was. Then I bought all the new bushings and put new lower control arms on it while I had the "New" cradle out and ready to go back in. cost me over a grand, easy to get it done with a fresh front end alignment.

That reminds me, the rear has cams that torque arms connect to in the center that will need a lot of penetrating spray also with hopes you can get them loose. Should be able to with spray and if necessary air tools.
You can modify hockey pucks to replace the rubber mounts in the rear without noticing any effect on how the car rides and it will save you hundreds on trying to find and replace the OEM bushings with the rubber parts. The rear end will tighten up in the corners but your air ride system will keep it comfortable.
That's what I was going to do based on another members write up on the RSSA.

Anyway, like anything else that is rotted/rusted you may come across some difficult bolts and nuts to remove but nothing that some spray lube or heat from a torch can't solve.

You will need to mark your rear tie-rods to be sure they go back in the same position for proper alignment.
But when all is said and done I would still pay for a 4 wheel alignment to be sure your tires are tracking straight after disturbing the independent rear suspension.

If possible do a search for "RSSA" and you should find a thread on replacing the rear section that your going to be doing.

Good luck and ask all the questions you want. Even though I never did get to do the job, I did research the hell out of it and have part number lists and so forth. I can copy and fax or copy and mail what I have if you have a problem. But I think you'll find what you need right here on this site with a little searching.
Back to top Go down
snerkman
Rookie
snerkman

Rear subframe rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear subframe rust   Rear subframe rust EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:23 am

That's great, helpful info.  Thanks again.  I'm fortunate to live next door to a NAPA certified repair shop and have known the owner around 25 years.  He's very good at helping me, loaning tools, or cutting me a break on cost to perform repairs I can't handle myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear subframe rust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear subframe rust   Rear subframe rust Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear subframe rust
Page 1 of 1