Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Ignition Wires

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Ignition Wires Empty
PostSubject: Ignition Wires   Ignition Wires EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 am

I can't remember the name of the company I bought the ignition wires for my Riv from. They were quality wires with a Lifetime Warranty IIRC, and they weren't inexpensive but they were worth the price they asked for them.

Not only did they sell exact fit wire sets but would also make custom wires to your spec's. I had them make me a custom set of wires for my Harley after I had the Hemi Heads drilled and threaded for dual plugs.
Required some bracket engineering on my part to add the additional coil but needed wires that were no where near stock sizes. They made a great set for the bike as well as for the Riv.

I can't find any of my documents for them. Maybe someone could lead me in the right direction as I want a set for my current vehicle. They should have them cut to fit for this engine as well.

Thanks for any help from some of you that still have some active brain cells. I've been beating myself up all day over this.

Thanks for any help,

Rick
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

Ignition Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Wires   Ignition Wires EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 12:37 pm

not sure these are what you are looking for but I am using Taylor wires, seem like high quality stuff.
They also look like they do custom sets.

https://www.taylorvertex.com/spark-plugs/

Jbird

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Ignition Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Wires   Ignition Wires EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Rickw wrote:
I can't remember the name of the company I bought the ignition wires for my Riv from. They were quality wires with a Lifetime Warranty IIRC, and they weren't inexpensive but they were worth the price they asked for them.

Not only did they sell exact fit wire sets but would also make custom wires to your spec's. I had them make me a custom set of wires for my Harley after I had the Hemi Heads drilled and threaded for dual plugs.
Required some bracket engineering on my part to add the additional coil but needed wires that were no where near stock sizes. They made a great set for the bike as well as for the Riv.

I can't find any of my documents for them. Maybe someone could lead me in the right direction as I want a set for my current vehicle. They should have them cut to fit for this engine as well.

Thanks for any help from some of you that still have some active brain cells. I've been beating myself up all day over this.

Thanks for any help,

Rick

My guess is it was Magnecor.  They are still around.  

I replaced my Magnecors with Delco wires when one of the Magnecor terminals burned out.  Magnecor would not warranty them, nor provide a repair -- I sent the wires back, they kept them and complained they were dirty therefore they would not repair them.  I thought that was, to put it kindly, puerile and specious in this context...  Well, duh.  They were not clean but they also were not greasy sloppy, they had the not-unusual film of under-hood dirt.  They also had a film of silicone grease in the boots, which Magnecor objected to (stupid objection, their complaint is to not fill teh boots with grease; the point is yes you don't fill the boots with grease just wipe a bit inside the metal connector and boot interior so the *&#^*$&^ things will come off the plugs when they need to).  I asked for them back, offered to pay return postage - the wires, however, were not returned to me either.

I just replaced the Delcos with Beldens I got from Rock Auto, supposedly the Beldens are a copy of the Delcos with somewhat better insulation.  Replaced the Delcos because the running engine had what sounded like a light misfire.  Guess I'm "back in the hole" in that in my experience the Delcos only last about 50-60 thou miles before they start to fail on the SC engine, which has much hotter coils than the NA engines. (Delco D576 for the SC, D555 for the NA).  You can buy *a set* of D555s for what you'll pay for *one* D576 new.  We will see how the Belden wires hold up.  If I had my Magnecors back, I might well fix the terminal and put them right back on. I have not checked my current Delcos, but last time what happened was the conductors started to vaporize at the crimps.  This set of Delcos, the boots are on much firmer than before (not sure how they did that)  so the wires are not so easy to check.  Used to be able to just push them out of the boots.  Ha ha no more.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Ignition Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Wires   Ignition Wires EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Can't beat the Delco wires IMHO. They are readily available on rockauto and they are inexpensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Ignition Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Wires   Ignition Wires EmptyWed Sep 18, 2019 7:42 am

Thanks for your reply's gentleman.

Albert, you were correct in that they were Magnacore wires. I'm sorry you had such a bad wxperience with them.
I never put the kind of miles on my Riv that you have so I never encountered a problem.
And the ones that are on my bike are Black wires and don't have the Magnacore name on them, so I was at a loss.

I guess I'll just get something from Rock Auto.

jbird, Yes I have used Taylors on many Harleys that were made to fit and never had a problem with them either. Quality wires. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks again.
Rick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ignition Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Wires   Ignition Wires Empty

Back to top Go down

Ignition Wires
Page 1 of 1