Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hello from Newport News!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MaxLegroom

Name : Robert Smith
Merit : 5

Hello from Newport News! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Newport News!   Hello from Newport News! EmptyFri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 pm

I had bookmarked this forum years ago, perhaps I'd read a topic from here. Presently I'm a student on the way to get my Airframe & Powerplant certification, so I can get back to a better paying job. I decided that the next car, once I get that job or if a pile of money suddenly falls on me (whichever comes first) will be a Buick Riviera. Finishing school is about a year and a half off in the future. Ex-military (Army, Army National Guard, Air National Guard).

Why a Riviera? My answer would probably be the same as most of yours: style, class, combination of comfort and speed. The first two are beyond most cars built today, and the second pair often treated as antithetical to each other. Really, they don't seem to build a car for me anymore, but that's another story.

I am also looking, when I get this car, to improve its performance, preferably without making a bunch of noise. I prefer it to be like it was said of the VC-10 jetliner: silent, swift and superb.

Happy Alcoholidays!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Newport News!   Hello from Newport News! EmptySat Dec 28, 2019 1:41 am

Welcome aboard!

I watched a couple videos about the Cadillac CT6 Blackwing recently, which some are calling a GTR killer, and all I could think of is "looks like a generic car and I'd hate to have to maintain a low volume Cadillac with AWD and twin turbos." Well, it does look like fun while it works! If you can't get magnetic ride shocks for high volume cars like the 90's Seville anymore, how well is all that adjustable ride stuff going to work in the future?

All that is my way of saying I think the supercharged Buicks sit in a perfect spot - easy to mod for speed, not too complicated, lots of GM parts bin parts. I don't plan to part with mine.
Back to top Go down
MaxLegroom

Name : Robert Smith
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Newport News!   Hello from Newport News! EmptySun Dec 29, 2019 2:49 pm

I've certainly kept track of the CT6-V. It's probably not really a GT-R killer, though it could certainly catch the odd unsuspecting GT-R driver.

As for the problem with magnetic ride shocks, it's going to be a lot more than that. Many Corvettes also had these, they were standard equipment on the Chevrolet SS (I had one of those) as well. A lot of people will find their cars don't work quite as well with conventional shocks.

Your not planning to let go of yours lets me know that this is a worthy matter to pursue, if I had any doubt.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Newport News!   Hello from Newport News! EmptySun Dec 29, 2019 3:14 pm

MaxLegroom wrote:
I've certainly kept track of the CT6-V.  It's probably not really a GT-R killer, though it could certainly catch the odd unsuspecting GT-R driver.  

I'm assuming that's with heavy mods. The claim sounds dubious to me as well. It's unlikely the CT6-V will ever have the aftermarket support of the GT-R.

MaxLegroom wrote:
As for the problem with magnetic ride shocks, it's going to be a lot more than that.  Many Corvettes also had these, they were standard equipment on the Chevrolet SS (I had one of those) as well.  A lot of people will find their cars don't work quite as well with conventional shocks.

Corvettes tend to have excellent aftermarket support at least.

MaxLegroom wrote:

Your not planning to let go of yours lets me know that this is a worthy matter to pursue, if I had any doubt.

If anything, I'll find another for a parts car. I don't need any parts ATM, but you never know. I would keep mine even if I had a garage full of million dollar cars. It isn't the most fun car to drive in stock form, the front plows pretty bad, but I think the bone line that runs from the inner headlight, around the cab, and over the trunk is one of the best lines ever put on a car. I'd keep it as a work of art, if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Newport News!   Hello from Newport News! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Newport News!
Page 1 of 1