Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower

Go down 
+43
NelsonBC12
ewolfe0050
ghpcnm
albertj
Nez
moldymac
sburch23
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
Jason
Shintsu
TonySmooth89
Supercharged
ibmoses
SuperRiv07
manofmany
captshiner
Chicken
deekster_caddy
T Riley
robotennis61
99Rivman
BillBoost37
palermocorey90
SC95Riv
allfalldown
1998 Riv
ricoshay
mayfair4life187
gosloriv
SpaceBar
SoCal Riv
TType_Riviera
RhinoFLA
racinfan
pwmin
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
AA
98riv
jax95riv
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 9:17 am

most people are more worried about the putting it in the oil part....

Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 2:16 pm

yeah that part worries me to
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 2:49 pm

I wouldn't.
Same principle, if you haven't been doing since new leave the crankcase alone!!!!!!
Just change oil and filter regularly and all will be fine until something wears out by normal use.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 pm

I've done the Seafoam full treatment about an year ago and a half ago. Didn't really notice much with the oil thing, and I wouldent bother doing it again. As for the vac lines, it works great as a cleaner. Having bought my car used, there was much carbon buildups that it cleaned out nicely and perked up the car.

Addict
SuperRiv07

Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 1:15 pm

yeah I know I got some carbon built up thats why I want to do it, so the dirrections for use are on the can for using it in the fuel and vac lines?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 2:17 pm

yup, and theres plenty on the Internet on how to use it. In short, for fuel, add a half can to the gas tank. For the vaccum, just pull the brake booster vac line and suck the remaining half can in letting it choke and die at the end. Wait 10 min, restart, and take for a spirited drive.

Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 3:45 pm

So just driv with it in there thats fine I dont have to like clean it out or anything, Will it mess with the fuel pump and filter or no?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 3:57 pm

I put 2oz of Seafoam to 1gal of gas. (1/2 tank is about 8 gal.) Put a can of Seafoam (16oz) in 1/2 tank of Gas and run till low then fill tank up full. O.K. to just pour in gas tank.
After you've burned that half tank take about 6 oz. of Seafoam and let the Brake Booster Vacuum line suck it up slowly with out the engine dying, just give it sips and hold throttle open some from under hood. Then give another two oz's and let it stall. (turn off key) Let it sit sit for 10 -15 min's and start it up and take for a good drive. It will blow a lot of white/gray smoke after start up - don't worry that's all the carbon going out the tailpipes. Take a good spirited drive with it up to temp. and all will be fine. It will start hard after letting the Seafoam soak so don't be suprised.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 4:12 pm

do you have a pic of the vaccum line i need to use
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 6:19 pm

Use the word "Seafoam" in the search engine here and you will find a good write up on page 1 and 2 by jax95riv. I would just not do part two "Cleaning Your Oil System"
He explains the location of the hose very well, but I don't have any pic's. There may be some posted further in that write up, it is 6 or 7 pages long.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 8:06 pm

I use seafoam in my motorcycles quite a bit. A BG fuel induction service and a can of BG MOA (motor oil additive) in the crankcase works a little better, but is much more expensive for most of you. Luckily I have the luxury of free BG chemicals and access to the tools to apply them, so neener neener neener.

The only problem I have, is when adding SEafoam to the oil, I would imagine the seafoam is of different weight and would float on top of the oil in the tank, thus may not even be picked up by the oil pump in the first place. Next time I pick up a can, I'll pour it and some oil into a glass and see what happens...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm

word of wisdom for the not so wise. if anyone here has a high mileage vehicle ,and they are considering doing a seafoam. make sure,by any means necessary,that your cat isn't clogged. do a sea foam on a car with a clogged cat and you'll blow the head gasket. or severely weaken it....
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 9:42 pm

How do you know if your cat is clogged?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 9:48 pm

www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 8:11 am

How do you guys feel about running some seafoam through the engine? It is suppose to break down carbon build up. I have run it through my engines in the past, and if not anything else, the idle on my chevy truck was a bit smoother afterwards. Might be worth a shot, under $10 and its easy to do.
Back to top Go down
Nez
Amateur

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 am

Hey guys, I haven't posted on the forums in a while but I just seafoamed my Rivi and for the most part I've had desirable results. I could feel a small difference after running it through the gas lines, but after performing the treatment through the Brake Booster line my idle has been pretty rough. The RPMs will drop by about 100 every now and then, accompanied with a small buck from the engine.

Any ideas of what it could be?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 9:17 am

check for vacuum leak; may need to use a smoke machine.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Nez
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 am

Probably will need to use a smoke machine. I felt around the lines with my hand and didn't feel any obvious suction. Thanks for the tip, Al.

I'll probably be posting here more frequently as time goes on. The folks are planning to give me the Riv when they go to purchase a new vehicle, so I've been performing all the regular maintenance as an amateur mechanic. (And I really mean amateur. No real experience with anything automotive related.)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Nez wrote:
Probably will need to use a smoke machine. I felt around the lines with my hand and didn't feel any obvious suction. Thanks for the tip, Al.

I'll probably be posting here more frequently as time goes on. The folks are planning to give me the Riv when they go to purchase a new vehicle, so I've been performing all the regular maintenance as an amateur mechanic. (And I really mean amateur. No real experience with anything automotive related.)

Be sure to get a copy of the factory manuals (off eBay probably cheapest) if you don't already have them, and get some sort of scanner (not just a code reader, a combination scanner and code reader is what you want) that lets you read what the sensors in the car are "saying" so you can isolate problems as well as make repairs and intelligent modifications if you want.

As for the smoke machine, the reason they are interesting is that they are safer and take a whole lot less time to find a leak than just about any other way - for instance, using starting fluid or carb cleaner sprayed aroundvac leaks or using a propane torch, unlit, to discharge gas near a leak, are ways that home/shadetree mechanics use. The other thing is that a leak big enough to cause problems may also be small enough the carb cleaner/starting fluid/propane approach may not work. However, smoke machines aren't free -- but one of the others on this site might have an idea for how to substitute. You may also find the following links to a BMW site or the GarageJournal or the most interesting, this Chevytalk.Org post describing how to make your own smoke machine for very short money (under $100 including regulator and a small 12v air compressor such as you might keep in your car to inflate balls or top-up tires).

Thinking about it, a bit of thought and engineering ought to improve the Chevytalk smoke machine. A simple circuit for instance would run the glow plug for ~10 seconds then light a 'ready' light for a few minutes. The whole thing could be packaged in a small plastic storage tub. Just saying... something to think about.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Nez
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Well after you posted all that, the check engine light came on.. Plugged the code reader in, and turned out I fouled out my #5 plug. I was sort of expecting that, as it was about time for those to get changed out anyway. Got some autolite 104s (planning on dropping pulley sizes, as I'm still running the stock one.)

I've been meaning to pick up that factory manual, but all my money has been going to everything else lately. (New pulleys, new alternator, new battery...) would you believe the stock battery was still in there? It amazed me how long it lasted.

As for a scanner/tuner, where would you recommend I find one? I poked around ebay trying to find a cord that would connect to my laptop, but I've had no luck.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Nez wrote:
Well after you posted all that, the check engine light came on.. Plugged the code reader in, and turned out I fouled out my #5 plug. I was sort of expecting that, as it was about time for those to get changed out anyway. Got some autolite 104s (planning on dropping pulley sizes, as I'm still running the stock one.)

I've been meaning to pick up that factory manual, but all my money has been going to everything else lately. (New pulleys, new alternator, new battery...) would you believe the stock battery was still in there? It amazed me how long it lasted.

As for a scanner/tuner, where would you recommend I find one? I poked around ebay trying to find a cord that would connect to my laptop, but I've had no luck.

use the search function on this site to find discussion and recommendations for scanners for the '95; one of the posts says where to get the tricky OBD - 1.5 cord.

you won't likely find a generic cord that will connect to your lapop. For OBD-2 cars I use a dongle from obd-2.com (CarCode) and a serial cable to connect to my laptop; on the laptop I run CarCode software for scanning.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Kerosene engine flush   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:31 pm

I want to start out by saying I use to do this regularly to my 2.5 V6 Ford Probe. The first time it smoked like crazy and ran great afterwards. I did this every 10k miles or so. I would run 3 parts kerosene to 2 parts oil or so as kerosene is a natural lubricant and burns extremely hot.

When I did the LIM on my 207k motor, I noticed the engine was filled with ALOT of crud. Some of the LIM ports were blocked. I cleaned out as much as a I could. I'm thinking about doing the kerosene flush but I can't risk anything as this is my DD and always gets me where I need to go. The car runs GREAT. Debating between this and seafoam in the oil and through the brake booster. Anyone have any feedback or suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 pm

well the seafoam isnt as volatile as kerosine and its a much more tested method of cleaning the motor.
Ignition temp of kerosine is 428°F which is really low and i could easily see it blowing the crap out of a motor if you ran it hard on a summer day, though the oil should raise the ignition point some.

I used seafoam in my motor once but didnt notice a difference because i keep up with my oil changes, use a quality filter and have never had any grime or sludge inside my motor.
It may not be as pretty as a motor that used all synthetic, but i dont have any oil burning problems at 180k hard miles (100k of those miles modified).

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:46 pm

The only thing I know about top end engine flush is this: I've never done it to any of my cars. At 235k miles, some would say my Riviera should be running terribly from build up over the years, but it feels very strong, very reliable. If the engine runs GREAT, I don't see the need to do anything. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there's some crud in there, but I don't know that it's hurting much.

I'm not alone in my thinking. Read this info from a certified mechanic:

http://www.salemboysauto.com/original-faqs/faq-21.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Sorry, I forgot to say you only run the kerosene at idle and for a short limited time. NO revving or drive.

I can say after seeing the amount of build-up I saw, I can't believe my engine runs as smooth and powerful as it does. Going to read right now, AA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next