Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower

Go down 
+43
NelsonBC12
ewolfe0050
ghpcnm
albertj
Nez
moldymac
sburch23
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
Jason
Shintsu
TonySmooth89
Supercharged
ibmoses
SuperRiv07
manofmany
captshiner
Chicken
deekster_caddy
T Riley
robotennis61
99Rivman
BillBoost37
palermocorey90
SC95Riv
allfalldown
1998 Riv
ricoshay
mayfair4life187
gosloriv
SpaceBar
SoCal Riv
TType_Riviera
RhinoFLA
racinfan
pwmin
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
AA
98riv
jax95riv
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 10:15 pm

AA wrote:
The only thing I know about top end engine flush is this: I've never done it to any of my cars. At 235k miles, some would say my Riviera should be running terribly from build up over the years, but it feels very strong, very reliable. If the engine runs GREAT, I don't see the need to do anything. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there's some crud in there, but I don't know that it's hurting much.

I'm not alone in my thinking. Read this info from a certified mechanic:

http://www.salemboysauto.com/original-faqs/faq-21.htm

GOOD ADVICE agree
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:46 pm

I've had good success with liquid GM Top Engine Cleaner (similar to SeaFoam) and Motorvac. I have personally seen surprising, tangible results from the motorvac treatment. There are many examples on this forum, and I've read about it solving "unsolvable" drivability issues on other forums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:56 pm

I used to add a quart of Gunk engine flush,every 4 oil changes. I obeyed the cans warnings and followed them. The first few times i used it,the oil came out very black.even had some chunks of crap.I was using full syn at the time. gradually the oil came out cleaner and cleaner until I was satisfied the engine was as clean as she was gonna get between(3000 mile) changes. I thought the engine ran cooler over time too. I liked it. compared to the shop flush its not too expensive. my old car ran great too
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 11:30 am

I've always had luck with this... empty engine oil and refill 1qt transmission fluid, and 4+qts cheap thin oil (straight 30) or a 30w blend if you run full synthetic. The transmission fluid is a detergent and cleans and breaks up carbon and sludge. The thin oil allows for more circulation. After 500mi of regular driving, empty and put in a synthetic blend. (for my Riv I changed to full synthetic 1500 mi after but left the blend in the Bronco)
Back to top Go down
NelsonBC12
Rookie
NelsonBC12

Name : Zach
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Im attempting the top clean right now as we speak. Im looking for the break booster line but im not sure which one to pull as the one I think is it seems to be giving me a struggle.

Is this the line that I need to pull out? And do I pull from the hose, or the plug that goes into the vacuum?
EDIT: Idk why it made it crooked, sorry.
Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 2zre1w2
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 pm

yes that is the brake booster line. pull from the hose, not the plug. the plug has a barbed end.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:05 pm

yeah.dont add sea foam into the booster itself.lol.I did that !haha
Back to top Go down
NelsonBC12
Rookie
NelsonBC12

Name : Zach

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks guys, but i just had to muscle it a little bit. It worked perfectly. I probably could have put more in. But I think it did what it was suppose to do already.

Im planning on doing it next month again. Also, adding some to the crank case after I add some to the tank. It's time for an oil change soon, so it's perfect!

Thanks for your help guys! I almost ripped my head off before, but now i know its quite simple!
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 IMG_20111017_195355

This was after 160,000. Only synthetic since day one and Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant every other tank full!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 pm

that is one clean engine. makes me feel like a real slob
Back to top Go down
Tajis
Amateur

Name : Tajis
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:05 pm

I just ran Seafoam through my Riv. So far I'm noticing a smoother idle and 'maybe' a little more responsiveness.

Incidentally, if you want to make sure no one comes within 500 feet of your rear bumper... this will do the trick! LOL I think the other drivers thought my car was about to explode or something.
Back to top Go down
JayP71
Special

Name : Jason

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 5:32 am

Two things that I'm too lazy to read 10 pages to find out if anyone else has mentioned.

1. You may get a 'check engine' light during this procedure (my Caddy always would). This is normal and it will go away shortly.

2. If you want to do this through the PVC (running through the brake booster is easier and faster). I always used a nipple from a baby bottle on top of the Seafoam can. Makes it easier not to flood the engine with too much Seafoam.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 6:27 pm

High guys I recently just sea phoamed my car and not a lot of smoke came out, could my cat be clogged up, I mean a good amount of smoke came out but not thick and once I floored it no more, runs a lot better tho!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6