Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Catalytic converters

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Angeles98
Special

Name : Alex Angeles
Merit : 0

Catalytic converters Empty
PostSubject: Catalytic converters   Catalytic converters EmptySat May 02, 2020 11:47 pm

Soo my cat converter was clogged up and got to the point where is made a loud pop one day and guessing it gave it. Car sounds raspy as hell due to exhaust leak and wondering what type of replacement option would be best. Should I go stock replacement or something better? 1998 Riviera
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Catalytic converters   Catalytic converters EmptySun May 03, 2020 8:56 am

I used the Walker 15817,

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1998,riviera,3.8l+v6+supercharged,1303322,exhaust+&+emission,catalytic+converter,5808

It may depend on where you live. RA may not ship a converter to certain states due to differing emissions regulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Catalytic converters   Catalytic converters EmptyThu May 07, 2020 5:46 am

I used a high flow Flowmaster unit but I had installed headers and other parts for a freer flowing exhaust and a PCM tune, and smaller SC pulley.

For a stock engine in a State where they still do smog checks then get a Walker made as an exact replacement.

Put a new O2 sensor in it while your replacing parts.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Catalytic converters   Catalytic converters EmptyFri May 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Angeles98 wrote:
Soo my cat converter was clogged up and got to the point where is made a loud pop one day and guessing it gave it. Car sounds raspy as hell due to exhaust leak and wondering what type of replacement option would be best. Should I go stock replacement or something better? 1998 Riviera

While you are at it, it would not be a waste of time to figure out how your converter got clogged in the first place. Could be...

- oil additives with a lot of zinc or other phosphates can plate the converter over time if you are burning oil for whatever reason. Use good oil and leave the mechanic-in-a-can on the shelf.
- running rich due to lack or mis-maintenance or a funky tune.

Reason I say this -- in almost 400,000 miles on my '98 Riv I've never plugged a converter. Something is wrong, you might want to spend a couple minutes eliminating any obvious causes...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catalytic converters   Catalytic converters Empty

Back to top Go down

Catalytic converters
Page 1 of 1