Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Considering rim options

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ejulien6
Special

Name : EJ
Merit : 0

Considering rim options Empty
PostSubject: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 11:37 am

I'm looking for the MSR 095's in pearl black but I think they have been discontinued. One of the other options I'm considering are the Voxx Capo wheels in carbon grey. Anyone with 17 or 18 inch rims have any feedback regarding the ride quality?

https://servimg.com/view/20251458/6
Back to top Go down
mbletion

Name : Robert Cruise

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyWed May 05, 2021 10:50 am

There are better options on 4wheelonline. American Racing wheels has a nice selection.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyFri May 07, 2021 11:10 pm

I swapped my stock wheels to 18's very quickly after I got the car so I don't have a good comparison but I do feel the 18's are fairly harsh over bumps. There are thumps & rattles that are most likely due to age & mileage of the car. the car is smooth & quiet on a good road but I feel some more sidewall could be of benefit on the roads here in northeast Ohio.
That being said, 18's look "right" on the car!
Jbird
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptySat May 08, 2021 4:42 pm

jbird you only have about 20,000 miles more than I do and my car rides smooth on the stock rims. I've got a few creaking interior panels that I'll address, but nothing bad.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyMon May 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Good to hear, just really don't like the idea of going back to stock/16", I wish they were 17" at least.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyTue May 11, 2021 9:39 am

My Riv is on 18” Rims and I dont think it is a harsh ride at all. Bad tires or tired suspension could magnify any difference caused by swapping rims

mbletion likes this post

Back to top Go down
mbletion

Name : Robert Cruise

PostSubject: Nice   Considering rim options EmptyTue May 11, 2021 10:14 am

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
My Riv is on 18” Rims and I dont think it is a harsh ride at all. Bad tires or tired suspension could magnify any difference caused by swapping rims

Nice rims, by the way.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyTue May 11, 2021 12:17 pm

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:

I have Goodyear assurance comfort treads, they are decent tires, what are you running?

My KYB struts are only a few years old, there could be softer ones I guess.

I have not done anything with the rear suspension, but the ride height seems as it should be/not sagging.

Jbird
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyTue May 11, 2021 12:45 pm

I have Hankook Ventus tires on the 18s. They are pretty quiet and smooth but they are new. My stock rims have Bridgestone Affinity tires which I think were quieter but didnt notice a change in ride quality. My car has new front control arms as of a few years ago and that made a huge difference in ride quality.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyWed May 12, 2021 2:16 am

Are the new control arms a different design? Or just newer rubber in the bushings?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyWed May 12, 2021 5:31 am

Jack the R wrote:
Are the new control arms a different design?  Or just newer rubber in the bushings?

The ‘95 had steel control arms and no aluminum upgrade so I removed the cradle and welded the mount points to fit 97+ control arms so I could use aluminum arms. The rear mount on the ‘95 was a vertical style, where both mounts are horizontal on the 97+. I had to weld a bracket to receive the newer control arms. They are Mevotech arms off of Rockauto
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options EmptyWed May 12, 2021 7:39 am

Rockauto doesn't list control arms for the 96, I'll assume they are the same as your 95's. So I'll drive up & have you modify my cradle for the 97 parts.   happy
Jbird
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering rim options   Considering rim options Empty

Back to top Go down

Considering rim options
Page 1 of 1