Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Battery vent tube

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

Battery vent tube  Empty
PostSubject: Battery vent tube    Battery vent tube  EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 3:09 pm

The Riviera I just bought has the battery vent tube disconnected and it looks like part of it is missing. No telling how long it has been disconnected. Is it absolutely necessary? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Battery vent tube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery vent tube    Battery vent tube  EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Yeah, you want to get that replaced. It dumps acidic gases outside of the car instead of inside the car. I don't see it available on Rock Auto, maybe someone else knows where to find one.

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

Battery vent tube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery vent tube    Battery vent tube  EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 8:28 pm

I can probably rig up something myself
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Battery vent tube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery vent tube    Battery vent tube  EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 9:24 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Yeah, you want to get that replaced.  It dumps acidic gases outside of the car instead of inside the car.  I don't see it available on Rock Auto, maybe someone else knows where to find one.

They are sometimes given for free with the battery if you buy that battery at a GM dealer; they are not expensive separately at a GM dealer although there is a likelihood they won't have it in stock; 25720111 fits the 99 Riv's standard battery. 95-97 it's 25678807. 25678809 is for 98.

HOWEVER - the batteries are somewhat interchangeable as they all fit in the same battery tray/clamp for all years. They batteries just differed in the spec for CA/CCAs.

SO -- what you actually do is just get the vent tube for the battery you buy, which will likely be the 99 spec, which means you go get a 25720111. I think it will run you between $16.- and $30.- at a GM dealer... which is one good reason to just buy the battery at the dealer (for some reason dealer pricing on them is quite competitive) and let them (if you have to just ask them to) throw in a vent assembly that fits the battery you buy.

WHAT TO DO - check your battery voltage with car off and battery disconnected. If voltage is below 12.4v, charge the battery .. If after charging it stays at 12.4 or less, consider replacing it (it should be 12.6 - 13.2). Why? Because the Riv has a high parasitic drain and acts funny with a weak but serviceable battery. When you get a replacement for any Riv most likely the GM dealer would sell you the '99 spec battery, 840 CCA. The earlier year CCA specs were higher, like 970 I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battery vent tube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery vent tube    Battery vent tube  Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery vent tube
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Care & Maintenance-
Jump to: