Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

O2 sensor replacement

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

O2 sensor replacement Empty
PostSubject: O2 sensor replacement   O2 sensor replacement EmptyThu Nov 26, 2020 2:34 pm

My 96 I've owned for 3 months has 130,000 miles on it. I'm getting an occasional code for a lean condition. I've been running Techron in it to clean the injectors. Should I be replacing the 02 sensor based on age and miles? I'm not getting a code for it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: O2 sensor replacement   O2 sensor replacement EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 2:55 pm

You need to find the problem. A bum sensor gives a more consistent code. A scanner will let you read the sensor pulses.

Specifically what code?

I am thinking you thought to check the exhaust manifold for cracks.

Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: O2 sensor replacement   O2 sensor replacement EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Code P0171 for a lean condition. I believe I found what was causing it. The vacuum line that runs from under the supercharger snout is cracked at the rubber connector at one end a loose fit at the other end. But I still have the O2 sensor separate question: when the sensor is old will it slow down in its response and affect performance? Or should it only be replaced if it throws a code? Thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: O2 sensor replacement   O2 sensor replacement EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 11:52 pm

Cliff96 wrote:
Code P0171 for a lean condition. I believe I found what was causing it. The vacuum line that runs from under the supercharger snout is cracked at the rubber connector at one end a loose fit at the other end. But I still have the O2 sensor separate question: when the sensor is old will it slow down in its response and affect performance? Or should it only be replaced if it throws a code? Thanks

The ECU compensates for slowness of older sensors.

In my experience it makes somewhat of a difference if you replace it but not so much that you say Oh Wow Why Did I Wait!!!

If you do replace it, *get a name brand sensor* like NTK or Denso.

My "gut feeling" on this is that if you know how to use a scanner to check the sensor performance and the scanner shows performance is below par, then replace. Otherwise, replace if a sensor related code is thrown and you cannot find another cause. I replaced a sensor for 'maintenance' one time (used an ACDelco sensor, too) and the *new* sensor threw a code. I was not happy about that. Replaced that with a Denso, I guess you could call it NOS, from Rick W... problem solved...

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: O2 sensor replacement   O2 sensor replacement EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 7:50 am

I've had this car about 3 months. I replaced the sc coupler a few weeks ago because of rattling. When I removed the vacuum hose under the snout last night there was a tiny shard of plastic from the old coupler stuck into the metal tube that I pulled out. I'm sure that was mostly blocking the airflow.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: O2 sensor replacement   O2 sensor replacement EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Cliff96 wrote:
I've had this car about 3 months. I replaced the sc coupler a few weeks ago because of rattling. When I removed the vacuum hose under the snout last night there was a tiny shard of plastic from the old coupler stuck into the metal tube that I pulled out. I'm sure that was mostly blocking the airflow.

...sounds like you maybe found the problem...

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O2 sensor replacement   O2 sensor replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

O2 sensor replacement
Page 1 of 1