Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Trans random shifting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Marvin Potter
Special

Name : Marvin
Merit : 0

Trans random shifting Empty
PostSubject: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 7:22 pm

Transmission shifts back and forth from overdrive to lower gear at 55mph to 60 mph. At 70mph runs fine. What could cause this.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 10:06 pm

I don't see what year the car is?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 11:50 pm

Marvin Potter wrote:
Transmission shifts back and forth from overdrive to lower gear at 55mph to 60 mph. At 70mph runs fine. What could cause this.

My guess is you have a '96. Is your Service Engine Soon light on? If so, what is the code?

The 4T60E transmission can do this (enter/exit overdrive frequently) when certain parts (and/or the fluid) are worn.

Do a search on this site for discussion about this problem, see also https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/4t60-e-losing-overdrive.160172/ and https://buickforums.com/forums/threads/possible-solution-for-4t60e-transmission-issues.33373/

...for perspective.

One real solution is to rebuild the transmission using the Sonnax and TransGo improvement kits, but when you look at the other posts about this on this site you will see other, less expensive strategies. Sometimes even just a drain and fill of transmission fluid, to get the viscosity back where it should be. Other times, something else. Have a look at this subject on these pages, as well as the links I posted.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 11:50 pm

smile

Last edited by albertj on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

smile

Last edited by albertj on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marvin Potter
Special

PostSubject: Trans shifting random   Trans random shifting EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:32 am

It’s a 95. Has new trans synthetic fluid and filter. It had 2 codes. One for cruise control. CC servo switch. The other code was egr which I replaced and made engine run smoother but little effect on trans problem. I just recently bought the car. I suspect CC problem is in multifunction switch.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 2:54 pm

What is the actual cruise control code?

Reason I ask -- hunch is your brake switch may be worn out. The 4T60E is electronic and will go into or out of lockup depending on the state of the brake light switch(es). A flaky switch can cause the "transmission" problem you cite.

Brake switch malfunction will also cause problems with the CC.

Brake switches are cheap, and it would not be a waste (given the age of the car) to just replace it.

It could be that simple.
Back to top Go down
Marvin Potter
Special

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Actual code was P0565
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Marvin Potter wrote:
Actual code was P0565

Isn't that a 'cruise control on malfunction' code?

That could be the turn signal switch (unlikely), the brake switch (age/mileage/flooding/accident), but in any event a malfunction in that switch will make the electronic transmission control erratic.  Could be something else. My wild guess is the brake switch. I forget exactly when mine went but I remember what an absolute pain in the butt it was when it malfunctioned - in a way that it still *kinda* worked.

Fix all your codes then troubleshoot your transmission if it is still acting up.

Last edited by albertj on Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marvin Potter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Marvin Potter
Special

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting EmptyMon Dec 07, 2020 12:03 am

Thanks for your help. Will do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trans random shifting   Trans random shifting Empty

Back to top Go down

Trans random shifting
Page 1 of 1