Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

i got myself a little christmas present

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

Name : Mek
Merit : 2

i got myself a little christmas present  Empty
PostSubject: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptySun Dec 27, 2020 3:56 pm

got myself a couple gifts on ebay for cheap. mostly to get over the fact that my airbag light is still on and i wont pass inspection. but since i got a l36 and it has the plastic uim, i went ahead and bought the l26 aluminum one. i also got the l67 throttle body and i wanna port both before installing. i also might just buy a lower intake manifold to port as well. im not sure yet. im not gonna be installing them immediately, ill be trying to figure out how to put the l26 plenum on my l36 lol ive been doing research and i think im ready to attempt it. if anybody has tips, feel free to let me in on some.i got myself a little christmas present  492c4510
i got myself a little christmas present  3673c310
i got myself a little christmas present  4e410910
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptySun Dec 27, 2020 4:09 pm

still haven’t got around to replacing the brake booster and master cylinder, ive just been working. i did get to change my power antenna though. the old one was bent, and loose everywhere. i had to unplug it soon as i got the car i noticed the bend wouldnt let the antenna retract, and the motor would just keep running and running even when the car was off and it would drain my battery. anyways i just sprayed some bolt breaker on the bolts so i can start on it tomorrow. look how bad it is compared to the new one. i took the picture before i sprayed anything on the bolts so if you look you can see where its leaking.i got myself a little christmas present  35612110
i got myself a little christmas present  1bd38910
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptySun Dec 27, 2020 4:19 pm

i also really wanna put corvette front and rear brakes and some corvette wheels on her 😍 so ive been scouting parts for that too. i believe these are the trucks to look for? im still doing research on that as well for the future. i got many good plans in store for this car.
i got myself a little christmas present  E0cde310
i got myself a little christmas present  19488710
i got myself a little christmas present  18569210
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 9:54 am

Word to the wise: This all looks nice, but I would be remiss (at the risk of making you a little angry) not to point out that the seat belt modules (under "air bag") on rockauto.com would be what you likely need to fix your airbag light problem (new pretensioners and sensors FTW - talk to a GM collision repair tech for confirmation) and would cost you much much less than that stuff you did buy... which while nice to have will not make your car street legal. Consider getting those things before they are gone, as they are wholesale closeout surplus and at this moment are deeply discounted.
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 3:25 pm

albertj wrote:
Word to the wise: This all looks nice, but I would be remiss (at the risk of making you a little angry) not to point out that the seat belt modules (under "air bag") on rockauto.com would be what you likely need to fix your airbag light problem (new pretensioners and sensors FTW - talk to a GM collision repair tech for confirmation) and would cost you much much less than that stuff you did buy... which while nice to have will not make your car street legal. Consider getting those things before they are gone, as they are wholesale closeout surplus and at this moment are deeply discounted.
haha im not mad, im glad u care. its been killing me that i haven’t figured it out but it’s mostly because of lacking time. but if the pretensioners were bad, wouldn’t they be stuck? ive gone through all the tell tale signs for the seatbelts and mine show none of the signs. i’ve been doing research on it and it says b1051 and b1071 stays on even after repairs. b1071 is an internal sdm malfunction and i think thats just crash data but correct me if im wrong. after talking to a buick dealership on the phone they said i might have to have the new airbags programmed to the car. some people online say i have to replace the whole sdm and have it reprogramed. this shit is confusing. you would think the code would say “driver pretensioner” or “passenger pretensioner” but all i see is “deployment commanded” am i supposed to just guess which pretensioner is bad and have it reworked or am i supposed to do both of em? wouldn’t gm be more clear and direct about their codes? i’ve been thinking about just paying extra to pass inspection just so i can drive around, but i wanna do this right. anyways these purchases i made are just a gift to me from me in christmas spirit. i know they dont solve the light but that’s not what i bought them for.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 pm

bbyshrk wrote:
i also really wanna put corvette front and rear brakes and some corvette wheels on her 😍 so ive been scouting parts for that too. i believe these are the trucks to look for? im still doing research on that as well for the future. i got many good plans in store for this car.

I've been thinking about that as well!  I made a photochop with these ZR-1 rims -

i got myself a little christmas present  Zr1-rims

Where did you find the info on the truck parts?  I don't remember seeing anything about that on the site.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 10:36 pm

Jack the R wrote:
bbyshrk wrote:

I've been thinking about that as well!  I made a photochop with these ZR-1 rims -

Where did you find the info on the truck parts?  I don't remember seeing anything about that on the site.
these look so good 😍 they almost couldve been a stock option for some sportier wheels. and the reason im looking into the truck is because i want to do the big brake swap and put corvette brakes on the car. but i believe the stock hub on the riviera is a little too small for corvette wheels and this swap upgrades the hubs so the vette wheels fit without any adapters or spacers. (2 birds, 1 stone for me) ive been watching videos on youtube and reading a couple other forums about the subject. heres a couple links:
https://youtu.be/1-lI9RQ5Dzw
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/corvette-c5-brakes-on-stock-g-body-spindle.60740/
i notice people only doing this to the front brakes though and id love to have corvette brakes all the way around.
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 10:50 pm

[/quote]

Where did you find the info on the truck parts?  I don't remember seeing anything about that on the site.[/quote]
i lowered the car in photoshop too and i almost shed a tear cry she’s beautiful 😍😍i got myself a little christmas present  Acdb9e10
now just imagine red corvette calipers poking their lil faces out the spaces in the spokes like peekaboo 🤤
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 12:35 am

Oh no............ hahaha.
Not allowed to fuck with these cars..... hahaha.
Keepin' them looking stock is the only way ....hahaha.

I myself always wanted a Silver Arrow but...... maybe one day....hahaha
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 2:35 am

stan wrote:
Oh no............ hahaha.
Not allowed to fuck with these cars..... hahaha.
Keepin' them looking stock is the only way ....hahaha.

I myself always wanted a Silver Arrow but...... maybe one day....hahaha
lol why not? i notice almost everyone on here is very condescending about modifying these. i like good input and im not against shared opinions, but i didn’t buy the car for anybody elses satisfaction but my own. rivieras are great cars but when i used to work at the dealership auction i got to drive plenty cars with way more to love about them. besides its not like im gonna put 30 inch chrome wheels on it or put suicide butterfly doors on it. i only want to make my car better, and oem was great in the 90’s but, but that ain’t cutting it for 2020 almost 2021. im 23 years old so i still look for the thrill in driving. im not knocking yalls stock cars cause ive seen some pretty pristine cars on this site, but thats not what i want for me, and none of yall will ever have to drive my car so whats the point? im writing this very respectfully so please dont take it the wrong way, i just wanna put this out there.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 4:27 am

ohh no Mekk no problem, i don't take this the wrong way. I know we're all brothers on here.
I'm in love with the design of the Riviera ,but you might be right - i may be the only one here.
Timeless design - that is why i bought it. Wanted a Silver Arrow but at the time could not afford one, also loved the diamond dust ( white pearl ) so i got one. But it was always about the design with me that insane line. Crazy a?..hahaha....haha..............well.....................

Timeless design - destined to be a classic.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 5:21 am

stan wrote:
ohh no Mekk no problem, i don't take this the wrong way. I know we're all brothers on here.
I'm in love with the design of the Riviera ,but you might be right - i may be the only one here.
Timeless design - that is why i bought it. Wanted a Silver Arrow but at the time could not afford one, also loved the diamond dust ( white pearl ) so i got one. But it was always about the design with me that insane line. Crazy a?..hahaha....haha..............well.....................

Timeless design - destined to be a classic.

yessir, thats something i love about this community, we’re all brought together by our love for these cars and we share knowledge and resources. its like a utopia here, i’ve almost given up social media haha and hopefully it’ll be a classic, the lines and curves are so unique and captivating. ive already had a few offers to take the car off my hands in the past month or so ive had the car up and running. i remember when i took it in for a fluid flush the 2 mechanics were stumped on what type of car it was until they finally asked me. this car definitely leaves an impression wether youre into cars or not!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 7:29 am

bbyshrk wrote:
now just imagine red corvette calipers poking their lil faces out the spaces in the spokes like peekaboo 🤤

I have been thinking about the red Corvette calipers.  Yes indeed . . .  It's kinda like the Riv is a big Corvette, in some ways.  It's more a Vette than the Mustang Mach-E is a Mustang, anyway!  

I've also been thinking about leaving everything stock.  I dunno, both options are good.  I like the stock look but I see nothing wrong with making a Rad Era car more rad, as long as the total package works.

I would actually consider doing the lambo doors too, if I did the Vette rims and brakes -

i got myself a little christmas present  7234810001-large

This would work a lot better in my garage.  I've knocked the paint off the edge of the door, opening it into the wall.  I usually don't even have enough room to open the passenger door all the way.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 11:16 am

Jack the R wrote:
bbyshrk wrote:

I have been thinking about the red Corvette calipers.  Yes indeed . . .  It's kinda like the Riv is a big Corvette, in some ways.  It's more a Vette than the Mustang Mach-E is a Mustang, anyway!  

I've also been thinking about leaving everything stock.  I dunno, both options are good.  I like the stock look but I see nothing wrong with making a Rad Era car more rad, as long as the total package works.

I would actually consider doing the lambo doors too, if I did the Vette rims and brakes -

i got myself a little christmas present  7234810001-large

This would work a lot better in my garage.  I've knocked the paint off the edge of the door, opening it into the wall.  I usually don't even have enough room to open the passenger door all the way.
haha for real though, i seen the mach-e commercials lately and i was a little bit shook about the changes. i wonder if they’re going to keep the coupes, but if not.. thats like what mitsubishi did to the eclipse smh. and yes, definitely do the brake conversion! i cant wait till i get around to it, i just gotta save a little money for it and prioritize the work im currently doing to the car right now but as soon as i get the chance, its on!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 1:41 pm

You'll get it done before I do. I'm busy with another car for at least a few more months or a year.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 3:17 pm

my heart just don't allow me to touch it/ the way it rolled out of production line/. hahaha..........
or............perhaps i don't belong here ( kiddin') haha............A? hahahaha..............

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Jack the R wrote:
You'll get it done before I do. I'm busy with another car for at least a few more months or a year.
i’ll probably do it in a couple months, i’ll make sure to take plenty pictures and make a detailed post!
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 4:08 pm

stan wrote:
my heart just don't allow me to touch it/ the way it rolled out of production line/. hahaha..........
or............perhaps i don't belong here ( kiddin') haha............A? hahahaha..............
haha its alright stan, everyone belongs 🤝 and your diligence in keeping your car stock will probably pay off in the future if you do decide you wanna sell. i think these cars will keep disappearing one by one until they’re almost extinct. thats when i think these will be worth some good money
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 4:44 pm

haha its alright stan, everyone belongs 🤝 and your diligence in keeping your car stock will probably pay off in the future if you do decide you wanna sell. i think these cars will keep disappearing one by one until they’re almost extinct. thats when i think these will be worth some good money[/quote]

hahaha Mekk...... i'm not sellin' haha........... will keep mine as a display car .
Selling/buying in the future for some good money hm.........i don't think so. Buick Riviera was a commercial disaster .... hahaha. None was buying the car, or vehicles in the FSC class ( Full Size Coupe ) that's why they had to discontinue making it. Such a shame ......
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 5:51 pm

It sold well in the first year - than the SUV craze came in and hurt car sales in general neutral

If you think the prices will never go up, I've got one word for you - Radwood:

Radwood makes all the weird and forgotten cars of the 80s and 90s cool again (or for the first time). The 8th gen Riviera is the perfect Radwood car. It'll probably be the only one there, and no one will know what it is, but it's not some low power econobox or unreliable exotic (which most from that time period were).
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 9:46 pm

bbyshrk wrote:
albertj wrote:
Word to the wise:  This all looks nice, but I would be remiss (at the risk of making you a little angry) not to point out that the seat belt modules (under "air bag") on rockauto.com would be what you likely need to fix your airbag light problem (new pretensioners and sensors FTW - talk to a GM collision repair tech for confirmation) and would cost you much much less than that stuff you did buy... which while nice to have will not make your car street legal.  Consider getting those things before they are gone, as they are wholesale closeout surplus and at this moment are deeply discounted.
haha im not mad, im glad u care. its been killing me that i haven’t figured it out but it’s mostly because of lacking time. but if the pretensioners were bad, wouldn’t they be stuck? ive gone through all the tell tale signs for the seatbelts and mine show none of the signs. i’ve been doing research on it and it says b1051 and b1071 stays on even after repairs. b1071 is an internal sdm malfunction and i think thats just crash data but correct me if im wrong. after talking to a buick dealership on the phone they said i might have to have the new airbags programmed to the car. some people online say i have to replace the whole sdm and have it reprogramed. this shit is confusing. you would think the code would say “driver pretensioner” or “passenger pretensioner” but all i see is “deployment commanded” am i supposed to just guess which pretensioner is bad and have it reworked or am i supposed to do both of em? wouldn’t gm be more clear and direct about their codes? i’ve been thinking about just paying extra to pass inspection just so i can drive around, but i wanna do this right. anyways these purchases i made are just a gift to me from me in christmas spirit. i know they dont solve the light but that’s not what i bought them for.

This is why you need to talk to a collision tech who likes the '90s cars. IIRC the pretensioners have to be replaced because they only fire once. The spring-loaded tensioners will still work, though. Really, just find a body-and-fender person who's done this before...

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  EmptyThu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 am

albertj wrote:
bbyshrk wrote:
albertj wrote:
Word to the wise:  This all looks nice, but I would be remiss (at the risk of making you a little angry) not to point out that the seat belt modules (under "air bag") on rockauto.com would be what you likely need to fix your airbag light problem (new pretensioners and sensors FTW - talk to a GM collision repair tech for confirmation) and would cost you much much less than that stuff you did buy... which while nice to have will not make your car street legal.  Consider getting those things before they are gone, as they are wholesale closeout surplus and at this moment are deeply discounted.

This is why you need to talk to a collision tech who likes the '90s cars. IIRC the pretensioners have to be replaced because they only fire once. The spring-loaded tensioners will still work, though. Really, just find a body-and-fender person who's done this before...
i will lol i can see that u will not let this one go. i still havent had time to test any of these theories, yesterday was my pick n pull day so i could swap clock springs and see what happens but i missed it because of the towing bullshit i posted about. i promise you, your suggestion will not go unheeded though. and if thats the cause, ill buy you a drink via cashapp or whatever works for u 🤝🍻
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i got myself a little christmas present    i got myself a little christmas present  Empty

Back to top Go down

i got myself a little christmas present
Page 1 of 1