Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Fixing the turn stalk?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
OrangeCat3800
Rookie

Name : Elwood Blues
Merit : 0

Fixing the turn stalk? Empty
PostSubject: Fixing the turn stalk?   Fixing the turn stalk? EmptySat Jan 16, 2021 9:31 am

I am gonna replace the wiper motor first, because my wipers work normally most of the time but will quit working randomly. Once it quitted in a small rain, I have to wait for another minute before it would work again. It works like a charm if it's working.

However, my intermittent wiper also works randomly, sometimes it wouldn't work, so I suspect the turn stalk. Since 95-96 Rivieras had unique stalk, getting a used junkyard part is pretty much the same. Mine only has 82k miles and the stalk is already giving up. Guess the only option is trying to fix it.

Has anyone ever tried to fix the stalk? Take it off, clean the contacts and pray?

Or is there any electrical guru that knows how to fix these? I live in Jonesboro, Ark so electrical work is almost impossible. Not sure if anyone in Memphis can do it either.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Fixing the turn stalk?   Fixing the turn stalk? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 am

I have never heard of anyone taking the multi function switch apart to fix it.  They are pretty reliable, mine is original and works fine.  They are expensive to replace unless you get one from a bone yard.  I think people attribute problems to the switch that might be something much simpler to fix.  These cars are very complicated electronically speaking, diagnosis requires testing, so that you don't replace parts unnecessarily and spend more money than you need to.  Make sure your problem is the switch and not something else/simpler.  That requires the FSM.  It has trouble charts to isolate a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
OrangeCat3800
Rookie

Name : Elwood Blues
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Fixing the turn stalk?   Fixing the turn stalk? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 9:11 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
I have never heard of anyone taking the multi function switch apart to fix it.  They are pretty reliable, mine is original and works fine.  They are expensive to replace unless you get one from a bone yard.  I think people attribute problems to the switch that might be something much simpler to fix.  These cars are very complicated electronically speaking, diagnosis requires testing, so that you don't replace parts unnecessarily and spend more money than you need to.  Make sure your problem is the switch and not something else/simpler.  That requires the FSM.  It has trouble charts to isolate a problem.

Junkyard stalks are like $200 for the Rivieras, since those are 90's stuff they are gonna break when time goes by... I've replaced the wiper motor, the intermittent function is still funky, so there's gotta be something wrong with the clicky intermittent timing thing...

Dorman, Carquest, ACD have stopped manufacturing the stalks for Rivieras. Is there any way I can use other G Body stalks from other GM cars?

Not sure, but I wouldn't expect them to be any less expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fixing the turn stalk?   Fixing the turn stalk? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fixing the turn stalk?
Page 1 of 1