Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Alternator Voltage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRivieraGeorgia
Amateur
BuickRivieraGeorgia

Name : Riviera
Merit : 0

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 9:12 am

Hi all

I have registered here again after many years.
My car is located in Tbilisi, Georgia and I just got back and want to revive my favourite car in the world!
My issue is the red battery light on the left and I am guessing it is the alternator- since the battery keeps dying.
Obviously, I cannot buy a new one in this country...
But there is a guy that can rebuild it, but I am not sure I trust his knowledge of the proper voltage for a 95 supercharged one.
What would be the correct voltage to rebuild it for?
And also, I read it here that it could be a thermistor issue as well, is that also the case for a 95? And if so, how to deal with it?

PS
Alternator is my first guess, but if there any other common issues - would love to hear it

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 11:59 am

The alternator is internally regulated. It is a 12 volt alternator that will charge the battery between 14 and 14.6 volts depending on load and temperature. Any rebuilder can refurbish the alternator. They replace common parts. The output voltage will vary according to need. It isn't something a rebuilder adjusts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
BuickRivieraGeorgia
Amateur
BuickRivieraGeorgia

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 1:20 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
The alternator is internally regulated.  It is a 12 volt alternator that will charge the battery between 14 and 14.6 volts depending on load and temperature.  Any rebuilder can refurbish the alternator.  They replace common parts.  The output voltage will vary according to need.  It isn't something a rebuilder adjusts.

I see, so it should put out 12 volts, but then the thermistor makes it give out 14-14.6

Thanks for your reply!
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 pm

BuickRivieraGeorgia wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
The alternator is internally regulated.  It is a 12 volt alternator that will charge the battery between 14 and 14.6 volts depending on load and temperature.  Any rebuilder can refurbish the alternator.  They replace common parts.  The output voltage will vary according to need.  It isn't something a rebuilder adjusts.

I see, so it should put out 12 volts, but then the thermistor makes it give out 14-14.6

Thanks for your reply!

The internal regulator and thermistor determine output voltage according to need. In order to charge a 12 volt battery, the charging voltage has to be at least 13.8 volts. This is true of any 12 volt system alternator.

Back to top Go down
BuickRivieraGeorgia
Amateur
BuickRivieraGeorgia

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 2:06 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

The internal regulator and thermistor determine output voltage according to need.  In order to charge a 12 volt battery, the charging voltage has to be at least 13.8 volts.  This is true of any 12 volt system alternator.

So, is the 1995 Riviera alternator supposed to put out 13.8 or 14.0 or 14.6?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 2:16 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

The internal regulator and thermistor determine output voltage according to need.  In order to charge a 12 volt battery, the charging voltage has to be at least 13.8 volts.  This is true of any 12 volt system alternator.

So, is the 1995 Riviera alternator supposed to put out 13.8 or 14.0 or 14.6?

It's variable. No alternator puts out ONE voltage. The voltage will vary according to needs. There is no need for worry or concern about voltage. I am sure your guy can rebuild your alternator and it will be fine.

Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 3:41 pm

So I am encountering a strange issue. Two replacement alternators, both reman. I determined it to be voltage regulator but I just replaced the alt with a new one yesterday and the problem persists. Battery is brand new, brand new capacitor for audio system, literally checked everything I can think of... Ground issue? Thoughts/advice pleas.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage EmptyTue Jul 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Hometown Hero wrote:
So I am encountering a strange issue. Two replacement alternators, both reman. I determined it to be voltage regulator but I just replaced the alt with a new one yesterday and the problem persists. Battery is brand new, brand new capacitor for audio system, literally checked everything I can think of... Ground issue? Thoughts/advice pleas.

I need more detail.

What is the problem? For instance, my battery will not charge; my lights change brightness with RPM, my starter turns slowly, or whatever.

I am sorry but I can not tell from what you wrote, any recommendations.

Some years ago I had a problem on a Lincoln I owned, the lights would waver (brightena nd dim) at cruise speed and the transmission lockup would engage/disengage in sync. Turned out the reman alternator was not built properly at the factory. I replaced it with an OE Ford junkyard unit. Then I tore it down and found the voltage regulator was not grounded properly. That story is elsewhere on this site. I fixed it, still have it, but the junkyard unit kept running and running, I never did reinstall the reman unit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alternator Voltage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Voltage   Alternator Voltage Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternator Voltage
Page 1 of 1