Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

EGR bracket replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rp23g7
Rookie

Name : steve brogren
Merit : 0

EGR bracket replacement Empty
PostSubject: EGR bracket replacement   EGR bracket replacement EmptyTue May 18, 2021 8:19 pm

just looking at some items i my need when i replace my EGR Valve.

Amazon has this EGR Bracket, the part that mounts to the engine and the egr valve mounts to, ACDelco 12567867 GM Original Equipment EGR Valve Adapter  

not that i need it yet, but i know bad things happen when you try to remove stuff thats 26 yrs old and has 230,000 miles on it.

the Delco site lists it as a part for 2000 and up Buicks, but how different can it be?  anyone have a correct one laying around or have the 1996 part number?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: EGR bracket replacement   EGR bracket replacement EmptyWed May 19, 2021 8:27 am

Is that even applicable to our Rivieras? You have that on your engine? It's some kind of adapter, or spacer.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/acdelco,12567867,egr+valve+spacer+plate,4973

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3405549&jsn=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Rp23g7
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: EGR bracket replacement   EGR bracket replacement EmptyWed May 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Yeah it's what the Egr valve is mounted on
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: EGR bracket replacement   EGR bracket replacement EmptyWed May 19, 2021 3:38 pm

I seriously doubt that the EGR bracket/mount is going to be the cause of any excitement. I mean, if it bothers you consider using some Kroil or Deep Creep on the bolts before removal. The stainless tube, however, may be a cause for concern. They seem to still be available. Some people have reported they crack. I have never had a problem with mine.

And whatever you do, buy a good EGR valve (a Delphi if you can get one) and a gasket with screen (Standard VG214 I think). The screen tends to stop carbon chunks from clogging the valve; I think what actually happens is it gets hot and lights off (burns) stuff in the exhaust that hasn't burned yet. I had a Standard and a BWD valve - each only lasted a couple years. The replacement Delphi, it has lasted the longest of any of the EGR valves I've had.
Back to top Go down
Rp23g7
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: EGR bracket replacement   EGR bracket replacement EmptySun May 23, 2021 10:18 am

Replaced EGR with a Delco, and the PCV valve and gutted the airbox, throttle response improved, never seen a PCV valve like that before, P1406 and P0171 didnt come back after driving 40 miles. I didnt think i had a vacuum leak, the car ran and idled to good to have a vacuum leak.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: EGR bracket replacement   EGR bracket replacement EmptyMon May 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Rp23g7 wrote:
Replaced EGR with a Delco, and the PCV valve and gutted the airbox, throttle response improved, never seen a PCV valve like that before, P1406 and P0171 didnt come back after driving 40 miles.  I didnt think i had a vacuum leak, the car ran and idled to good to have a vacuum leak.

Yeah... some EGRs weaken over time (they are electric) and some stick.

Gutting the airbox increases noise without increasing measurable airflow (honest). On a stock n/a 3800, the first restriction elimination you're going to make bank on is achieved by (gently) porting the lower intake manifold. You can then also improve performance by porting the front exhaust manifold while you are at it. After that your concern should be intake valve lift (fix with rockers, and/or a cam and valvesprings). After that should be TB bore (fix with a bigger-bore TB, the Northstar's from similar year is a choice and adapters are available from ZZP) and perhaps a smaller SC pulley (such as the 3.6" that's standard on the old SC3800 Series 1) and tuning to take advantage of those changes - that is, TB, SC pulley, and tuning all three at once. After all that the intake hole and muffler in the front of the airbox may become a restriction...

A lot of folks claim gutting the airbox is an initial move. I have reason to suspect that they are replacing dirty air filters when they do that. Going from a dirty air filter to clean will give you a performance bump. Going to an air filter with more pleats (more surface area with same flow per square inch) will as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EGR bracket replacement   EGR bracket replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

EGR bracket replacement
Page 1 of 1