Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

finally getting started on the suspension

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

Name : Mek
Merit : 2

finally getting started on the suspension  Empty
PostSubject: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 1:26 pm

yall want a life hack? take ur car to the local firestone or anything of that nature near u, and if ur a first time customer u pay $9.99 for a complete steering and suspension inspection. i went and got mine and they made a pretty extensive list of things to replace ($3,600 worth of repairs, parts & labor)so i went online and ordered the parts listed and i have most of them now. from new hubs, tie rod and tie rod ends, poly control arm bushings, sway bar links andi even got some 18” wheels and caliper covers (which are for sale btw/fit stock brakes) off the monte carlo. ill be updating this thread when i get to work. let me know what u think of my new shoes.finally getting started on the suspension  918fcd10
finally getting started on the suspension  5296bd10
finally getting started on the suspension  A98f9110
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 1:29 pm

before and afterfinally getting started on the suspension  674f8b10
finally getting started on the suspension  1b8a5810
finally getting started on the suspension  A3a91010
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 1:30 pm

i know i got trim missing but its in my trunk imma slap it back on
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 10:39 pm

searching the forum to see if anyone ever swapped wbody suspension parts onto your gbodys and im not seeing anything so let me start us off 🤝 i took damn near the whole front end suspension (control arm, spindle, shock assembly) off the monte carlo and slapped it onto the riv. does it bolt on? yes? are there any differences? pros an cons? glad you asked 🤠 well for starters, the MC spindle is aluminum rather than steel or whatever the stock riv spindles are made of. weighed much less, and doesn’t rust. mine were covered with surface rust. the MC spindles are not only lighter, but they also allow you to run bigger brake rotors and calipers. AND... the rivieras control arm is NOT serviceable! when it goes bad you’re supposed to throw the whole thing away and buy a new one. you can only replace the bushings. but the MC control arms are FULLY serviceable. the lower ball joint on there is a separate peice you can replace. and the stock riv ball joints dont have the little grease nipple to service em while the MC ball joints do (any other good balljoints you choose to slap on your car should) the only 2 other differences i noticed are the tie rod end on the MC was a bit longer than the rivs so i had to take the beat up ends off the monte carlo n slap em on the riv for now cause the shorter ones will have your tires looking the opposite of pigeon toed even with the steering wheel straight. and then the sway bar links were shorter on the MC. i dont really know what thats gonna affect, but i only swapped those cause my old ones were beat and the MC had polyurethane bushings. the last thing i can think of are the springs on the MC are narrow at the top, get wide in the middle, then back narrow at the bottom. the rivs springs are narrow on the top, get wide in the middle, and keeps that with all the way down. my passenger side currently sits lowering than the drivers. i completely forgot to take photos of the stock suspension and the differences but i still gotta do the other side tomorrow so ill make sure to follow up with those.finally getting started on the suspension  4f18af10
finally getting started on the suspension  C8c11210
finally getting started on the suspension  A4e24110
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 12:58 am

did some more searches on here just to find out that the people with 97+ already have aluminum spindles and 12inch rotors? 🤕 95 and 96 really have it hard.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 10:25 am

It's all good. There were way more '95-6 Rivs made, and the front suspension stuff has been a pain. Knowing that the MC parts just *bolt* on will be a game changer for someone.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 11:31 am

albertj wrote:
It's all good.  There were way more '95-6 Rivs made, and the front suspension stuff has been a pain.  Knowing that the MC parts just *bolt* on will be a game changer for someone.
glad its not all in vein lol any 95-96 g and w body can benefit from this upgrade to be honest

Rivieraz likes this post

Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 7:47 am

bbyshrk, what year is the Monte?
I am under whelmed by the Rivs brakes and a serviceable front end sounds good.
Not sure I'm equipped for the work myself but very interesting!

Jbird

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 1:01 pm

jbird wrote:

Jbird

sorry, im seeing this a little late, my phone’s been broken or the past couple days. but the monte carlo is a 2000. and i believe any monte from 2000-2005 will work

knoxbroadcaster likes this post

Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 6:45 pm

jbird wrote:

Jbird

Why do you not like the Riv brakes? They have PLENTY of bite with the right brakes/rotors IMO.
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm

They nice to know in case I can NEVER find another bushing for my RARE 97 FCA. Great find!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: finally getting started on the suspension    finally getting started on the suspension  Empty

Back to top Go down

finally getting started on the suspension
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Brakes & Suspension-
Jump to: