Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 10:33 am

Expensive, but the best flaring tool out there. Does everything with ease,

https://www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-72475-PRC-Universal-Hydraulic-Flaring/dp/B01NCYKQSN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySat May 28, 2022 12:39 am

Been working since the last Wednesday. I've got nothing new to report yet. First thing on the list is to replace the battery. My brother says "you'll have no problem firing it once you change the battery " after that I have e to deal with the brake fluid leak.

Thanx everybody.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySat May 28, 2022 11:25 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
Expensive, but the best flaring tool out there.  Does everything with ease,

https://www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-72475-PRC-Universal-Hydraulic-Flaring/dp/B01NCYKQSN

Now that's one hell of a flaring tool! banana
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 8:27 pm

Hi everyone.
Home now. Got the battery out. Turned out to be Duralast Gold. Receipt was stuck on it. 5 years warranty 5 years still effective . Bought on 02/ 08 / 2018. Will try to get a new replacement in a few days....haha.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 8:29 pm

hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 20220513
hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 20220512
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2022 9:59 pm

Little update.
Replaced the battery , but still couldn't turn the engine. Only cranking sound nothing else. Have to take it to the shop .

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2022 11:12 pm

So, you heard the starter motor engage, but the starter motor couldn't turn the engine over?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2022 1:33 am

No I didn't. Only cranking clicks and nothing else.
Could be the starter
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2022 10:46 am

YouTube has a bunch of videos about jumping the starter motor - Link
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2022 1:42 pm

Thanx Jack the R . Will see if I can do it. I don't have a lift, but will ask friends for a code scanner.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2022 5:42 pm

You don't need a lift to jump the starter motor. I can't remember if I had the front jacked up or not when I was fooling around down there, but I don't think i did.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2022 11:39 pm

So I need to put the screwdriver on the positive and touch negative (ground). Right?
Thanks Jack the R
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 2:14 am

Maybe Albert J can say. I linked to the videos because I don't know how I jumped the starter - but it was easy to do accidentally.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 2:53 am

Ok I see. Will talk to my brother next week
Thank you Jack the R.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2022 10:16 am

Jack the R wrote:
Maybe Albert J can say.  I linked to the videos because I don't know how I jumped the starter - but it was easy to do accidentally.

You probably jumped it by touching a screwdriver (or wrench) to the positive wire feeding the starter and the switched wire feeding the solenoid, simultaneously... They both appear on the starter solenoid, side by side.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2022 10:36 am

Well there you go, Stan. Have at it!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Tomorrow I'm getting the car towed to the shop. It was originally set for today but the truck guy couldn't come over today. We had to reschedule.
Still nervous about it...
Will keep you guys informed. Hope it ain't seazed engine.
Too bad I've got nothing new to report but....hopefully soon.
Thanx

Last edited by stan on Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2022 6:39 pm

Who knows, maybe it will just be a small thing thumbsup
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2022 7:16 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Who knows, maybe it will just be a small thing thumbsup

Hope that too. This is what my brother's been telling me since I first found out about the problem.
Will know more tomorrow.

Thanx... Jack the R.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2022 10:36 pm

Starters do wear out. However, I still have the original starter for my Riv, and it works. I replaced it to satisfy my dad that the starter was not the problem, some years ago, when I was having difficulties with starting the car. It turned out to be a problem with the anti-theft stuff, which I repaired by replacing the ignition switch and keyway.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 7:10 pm

Hi everybody!
Got the car back from the shop.
Had a bad fuel pump and brake lines ( partially ) changed. Took 24 hours for him to fix it.
Now it starts and runs like a champ.
Everything was done for $850 .
Thanx again friends.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 9:57 pm

stan wrote:
Hi everybody!
Got the car back from the shop.
Had a bad fuel pump and brake lines ( partially ) changed. Took 24 hours for him to fix it.
Now it starts and runs like a champ.
Everything was done for $850 .
Thanx again friends.

I'm impressed.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 11:22 pm

The pump comes with 12 months warranty period. Mechanic said 10 months free replacement, parts and labor. Totally free.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2022 3:53 am

Just the brake lines? I don't see how that could make the pedal solid when the master cylinder was empty, but if it works now than it works.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2022 4:36 am

Jack the R wrote:
Just the brake lines?  I don't see how that could make the pedal solid when the master cylinder was empty, but if it works now than it works.

He said, i have a brake leak. Had to replace the parts of the lines that are rusted out. I saw them laid on the floor 4 of them , between 4 or 5 feet long each of them. The rest of the lines he said didn`t need to be replaced ( yet ) . Now i have a new battery in, soft pedal and a new fuel pump. Drove the car back home, the mother turned ,fired the ran quiet .Even the handset worked .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.   hard brake pedal and can`t start engine. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

hard brake pedal and can`t start engine.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next