Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

Name : Nico Toscani
Merit : 0

New member  Empty
PostSubject: New member    New member  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 9:01 pm

Howdy everyone

My name is Nico and I’m in Chicago. I used to own a 95 Riv in my 20s and loved it. Sold it for an Eldorado and regretted it. I’m in the market again and located a nice pearl white 97 with 50k miles. Interior is very nice but paint is dead. Needs new paint all around. The owner is asking $10k which I seem to think is crazy. What’s you alls opinions? I offered $6k and was declined. In fact I think offended the the guy lol. Is there any differences I need to know about when looking for one? I know a 95 is OBD1 and slightly less HP. Any other differences? Transmissions? Interior features? Any input would be greatly appreciated. smile
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 11:48 pm

Welcome aboard!

I believe 97 up has a beefier transmission as well as the more powerful engine.  97 has a one year only lower control arm that is impossible to get.  The radio and HVAC units were redesigned in 97 (I believe it was 97).  

In the last few months a 50k Riviera with bad paint might have pulled 10k.  In mint condition, 10k would have been a lot more likely.  If it's true that used car prices are dropping off now, 6k would be reasonable IMO.  

8th gens are getting rarer and rarer.  ATM there is only one for sale on eBay, a clean 99 with 115,000 miles asking 12,500.  I don't believe it will go for 12,500, but you can understand how someone with a 50k car would see high asking prices on eBay and believe they'll get 10k.

Nico Toscani likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 12:38 pm

Would the control arm issue be a deal breaker to you? Are there any work arounds in the event it needed control arms? Are the bushing replaceable?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 12:58 pm

For the average person, it should be a deal breaker. There are no replacement bushings. Your options are to a) make your own replacement bushings b) cut the vertical mount off of the subframe and weld it back on in the horizontal position or c) replace the subframe with one from a 98 or 99. If you do options b or c you can use the 98-99 LCAs and the better KYB struts.
Back to top Go down
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 1:07 pm

Is this for the front?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 1:39 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Nico Toscani
Amateur
Nico Toscani

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 8:15 am

I can’t post a link or picture, I guess I’m too new but I googled “control arms for 97 riviera” and some showed up. Partgeeks says they have them. Are those not the right ones? Thanks again for your help
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  EmptyThu Sep 01, 2022 12:46 am

I don't recall anything being available the last time I looked. I believe it's the right part, but Mevotech isn't known for quality. O'Reilly's MasterPro brand might be better. Or it could be rebranded Mevotech.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New member  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member    New member  Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1