Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

Name : Rodney Beauchamp
Merit : 2

My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Empty
PostSubject: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 6:50 am

Hi all, have recently imported this into Australia and now sorting it for compliance for LHD historic registration. Not easy but if I wanna drive it 😀

Had been searching for six months with a set criteria, originally for a ‘98 but when this came up on an alert…. Rest is history. Noel Bayne at Route 65 Car sales was very helpful and made the international transaction straight forward. What I found on their internet advert was what I received in Australia.

With 10,800miles on the odometer, Tis almost a new car. Photos or it never happened!
Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6316My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6317

Last edited by RodneyRiviera on Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:58 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Photo photo)

srjen1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 12:47 pm

Very nice clean car!

Congratulations! clap

RodneyRiviera likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptySun Oct 15, 2023 6:16 pm

Welcome! Definitely a lovely car that I bet you don't see many of in Australia!
Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 2:51 am

Jack the R wrote:
Welcome!  Definitely a lovely car that I bet you don't see many of in Australia!

Thank you Jack. It was only this year the authorities in our State changed the law reducing the age of vehicles on LHD conditional historic registration from 30years to 25. That is the reason I started looking as I knew it could be driven NOW!

I know of only a 1995 SC in Victoria (across the border) but there are others looking to import the eighth generation cars soon.

Being the last of the Riviera they are significant part of the Buick history.

At present mine could be the only ‘97 in Australia, but I think they will pop up in the near future.

Cheers
Rodney
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 4:38 am

Hard to believe there is demand for the 8th gen Riviera in Australia when there's so little concern for it in America.
Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 6:11 am

Jack the R wrote:
Hard to believe there is demand for the 8th gen Riviera in Australia when there's so little concern for it in America.

Problem we have is our strict laws in that we cannot import asbestos or vehicles containing asbestos. Any parts such as brakes, clutches, sound proofing etc must be removed before it lands here. So enthusiasts are either leaning toward the cars that are already here or import later models that have zero asbestos.

I researched and found the US stopped using the material well before my 1997 was manufactured but still had to sign a declaration stating there was zero asbestos in the Riviera.

But also there is a shift by younger enthusiasts toward the high performance Japanese products.

And I think that over time the US market will start to  take notice of these last generation Buicks. Remember it took some time before the first generation Riviera became sort after and now good examples are fetching stupid money.

That’s my take on it!

And some more photos.My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6110
My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6010
My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6011
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 12:06 pm

I'll never understand the fetish for Japanese cars. I don't think any of them were better than the same year Corvette, which has remained affordable in the U.S. Some of the Japanese luxury cars, like the Acura Vigor or Infiniti J30, are better than the Riviera in the sense of being RWD. After watching this video on the LS400 though --

- I can't place it above the Riviera as a used, old car I'd have to service. It may have been better as a new lease, but to own in 2023, forget it! I can't even see the alternator on that car. On the Riv it's so easy to get at. We've got some weirdness but I've been able to handle it as an untrained, occasional mechanic.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 2:00 pm

Your car is in insanely good condition underneath! Well played!

RodneyRiviera likes this post

Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 4:03 pm

albertj wrote:
Your car is in insanely good condition underneath!  Well played!
Thank you. One of the reasons I jumped on it right away. So more pics.

My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6012
My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6013My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_6015
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 9:25 pm

Do you plan to keep the low rider rims?
Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe EmptyMon Oct 16, 2023 9:34 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Do you plan to keep the low rider rims?

Certainly do, they really add some bling. And the Vogue tyres look very smart, something you don’t see down under.

Apparently the gold caps flash in the sunlight as they turn according to a friend who followed us home when picking it up.

Plus the seller never included the original rims.

Am a big fan of the wires, what I had on my last Riviera.

My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Img_5110

srjen1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe   My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe Empty

Back to top Go down

My new to me 1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe
Page 1 of 1