Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Coil Packs???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ricoshay
Rookie

Merit : 0

Coil Packs??? Empty
PostSubject: Coil Packs???   Coil Packs??? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 4:07 pm

With a stock supercharged setup on my '95 Rivi, is there any benefit of the performance coil packs over the regular ones?....and how can i test if i need new ones? thanks
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

Coil Packs??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coil Packs???   Coil Packs??? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 4:21 pm

ricoshay wrote:
With a stock supercharged setup on my '95 Rivi, is there any benefit of the performance coil packs over the regular ones?....and how can i test if i need new ones? thanks

THE PERFORMANCE COIL PACKS ARE GARBAGE. The stock coil packs are being used on 600-800 hp cars. Take them off and visually inspect them. Or scan the car. they should pop a DTC i think. back in the day, One of my terminals was rusted and I didnt even notice until it was too late. Try cleaning them oof and the ignition module.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Coil Packs??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coil Packs???   Coil Packs??? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 4:32 pm

I wouldn't call them garbage, but they are no better than OEM. Certainly not worth the extra $$. Somewhere I read that MSD coils used near identical parts to stock internals.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

Coil Packs??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coil Packs???   Coil Packs??? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 4:37 pm

AA wrote:
I wouldn't call them garbage, but they are no better than OEM. Certainly not worth the extra $$. Somewhere I read that MSD coils used near identical parts to stock internals.

well if they have a higher failure rate, more expensive, not OEM, and use almost the same parts but are more expensive...I call that garbage.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Coil Packs??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coil Packs???   Coil Packs??? EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 11:30 pm

97rivman wrote:
AA wrote:

well if they have a higher failure rate, more expensive, not OEM, and use almost the same parts but are more expensive...I call that garbage.

accel claims to use a little bit different material for the windings and other stuff i don't know the details and both MSD and accel have a valid looking spec list but like alex said, higher failure rate - affirmative, price - bout the same as OEM. thing that kinda gets me though is I noticed summit makes performance coils as well for i think thirty-something and they werent any bling bling colors or anything and I consider summit parts to be not messing around. non-performance aftermarket coils from wells, nieoff, etc are around 30-40 bones so maybe those summit ones are worth while. I have a set of those accel ones that I took from work and I wouldn't say they do too much. I suspect it may be possible to use them to your advantage with racing fuel or perhaps different plug conditions. On older cars, i've heard of taking advantage of the increased output voltage by increasing the gap on the plugs a little bit but I have yet to mess around with that on the riv.

overall i would agree with aaron and alex about them not being worth the money as a replacement. no way i would pay for them even with my discount. no
Back to top Go down
ricoshay
Rookie

Merit : 0

Coil Packs??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coil Packs???   Coil Packs??? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 8:46 am

OEM it is...thanks for the info guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coil Packs??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coil Packs???   Coil Packs??? Empty

Back to top Go down