Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP

Go down 
+5
racinfan
dadeboy305
SpaceBar
Jack the R
97Riv-Jon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
97Riv-Jon
Enthusiast
97Riv-Jon

Name : Jon
Merit : 2

3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP Empty
PostSubject: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 10:15 pm

Original post by dadeboy305, redirected from: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/General-c1/Welcome-f1/NEW-DUDE-IN-TOWN-PLEASE-READ-p14752.htm#14752

"I have 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP WITH #1!!!

1)once i give the car half throttle or more (and it does have a super) it starts to studder, im not exactly sure if it may be the super or maybe the coil packs, from my knowledge it looks like it had 1 of the packs replaced but the other 2 look original. Anybody have any clue what it could be????

2)cold air intake, i've been to two different places, they said KNN doesnt make anything, so does anybody know whats next? how much? where to get it?

3)shorter pulley for the super thus means smaller belt (obviously), does discount have somethin for this do u think?

I'd greatly appreciate the reponses, and if anybody can find me what im lookin for, u got MY WORD THAT I WILL KICK AT LEAST $20-50 EXTRA (depending) for finders fee and going through the necessary steps to get it."

//////////////////////////////

WooHoo! Another Riv with a rear spoiler.
Welcome to the board Keith!

Quote :
2)cold air intake, i've been to two different places, they said KNN doesnt make anything, so does anybody know whats next? how much? where to get it?

3)shorter pulley for the super thus means smaller belt (obviously), does discount have somethin for this do u think?
See: Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission :: Series II Write-Ups Index
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Supercharged-3800-Tech-c2/Series-II-Engine-Transmission-f4/Series-II-Write-Ups-Index-t679.htm

Then send $$$.... rotf

Last edited by on Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 10:33 pm

1) It might be your plug wires. You should go through and do all the basic maintenance so you know where the car's at. If it's not plug wires, get the car scanned at autozone and see if it's throwing any codes.

2) Right now your only CAI option is home brew. Search the board for CAI or FWI write up.

3) I don't know who Discount is, but either ZZP or Intense sells a tensioner pulley so you can use the belt you've currently got on there. It is MUCH easier to change idler pulleys on this car than belts.

BUT, you are no where close to being ready for a smaller pulley. There are supporting mods you need to make first, and you need to be able to scan for knock retard. Depending on how far you want to go with engine modding, you need either a Palm-based scan tool like an LS1M (not too serious about modding) or a laptop-based tuner like DHP Powertuner (very serious about modding).
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Welcome to the board!

1) I'd replace the plugs and wires if that doesn't work try the coil packs. A few of us had the same problem and it was the wires.

2) You can find a hot air intake on ebay but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a few links on here of people that built their own intake. You can do it out of PVC piping or something of that sort.

3) If you go with a smaller pulley you won't need a smaller belt until you get under 3.5" Make sure you scan before you drop a pulley size though to make sure you don't have KR. www.intense-racing.com has pulleys and pulley systems for sale.

You won't need to kick back money to us here. Thats what we are here for to help with any information we can. wink
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
dadeboy305
Amateur

Name : Keith
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptySun Aug 12, 2007 11:11 pm

damnit, i thank yall for the quick response!
it sounds i need to keep it simple, because i basically got this car for two main reasons, keep me out of trouble (on probation for racing in my old trans am) and to help me out on gas (t/a was getting me 11 mpg). so i want to keep it factory as far as looks and just be able to shut up those lil ricers out there, im sure u guys can understand that.

Do people normally upgrade the supers? and how?
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

Name : Joe
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 1:23 am

A dazzling array of information is available here:
http://rivfaq.bravehost.com/

It's like this website knows what you're going to ask before you ask it.

Also, check out our FAQ (frequently asked questions) portion of this site which will address questions which are asked frequently:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Supercharged-3800-Tech-c2/Series-II-FAQ-f19.htm

Welcome, and please don't give the insurance companies any reason to raise our premium.thumbsup
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 9:19 am

Welcome, Kieth. Change out those plug wires if they aren't new. Use OEM wires from the dealership. Might as well throw in a new set of plugs while you're at it. Best of luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 10:28 am

welcome dade county! glad you joined up so soon wink
as said before, general maint needs to be ruled out first before we can really diagnose the problem.
you best bet right now is to just gut the air box and drop in a K&N panel filter.
us FL boys need be careful moding in the summer heat, make sure you read that FAQ page about moding and then as us some more Q's when you think you know where you want to go with the car and mods.

Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 10:25 pm

[quote="Mr.Riviera"]us FL boys need be careful moding in the summer heatquote]

Just get an IC. wink
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 2:02 pm

I love that color. The subtle spoiler and chrome wheels make it stand out. Nice find.

you don't need a shorter s/c belt unless you go with a dramatic drop. A larger 3.5" idler pulley will do, but you only need with a 3.4" pulley.

If you're in a hurry for a little extra performance, start by gutting your airbox, and if you have a roto-zip, dremel or similar tool, you can go ahead and make a swiss cheese airbox. It will cost 0$. With a clean paper filter, you'll notice a nice improvement, at least until you decide on whether or not you want a k&n panel or cone to make a CAI or FWI.

You don't need to buy plug wire from the dealership. Reputable aftermarket wires built to meet or exceed oem specs will do. You don't need gimmicky expensive plug wires, but I often see MSD 8.5mms for sale on forums for pretty cheap (I bought the ones for my turbo regal and LT1 roadmaster for less than the price of OEM).

Have you installed the new fuel filter? A car sitting for 8 months without stabilizer can get gummed up. I'm guessing since you've had the car for a month you've filled it up a few times (with 91 or above, right?). If the previous owner was running 87 your PCM might have been set to use the bad gas tables. If it were my car, I'd change the filter and run a bottle of seafoam through the gastank. Also, I would unplug my battery for approx 20 minutes to reset the pcm, then drive around smoothly for 15minutes or so for it to relearn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
dadeboy305
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 pm

i was goin to quote everybody individually, but i'd be here all day, so first off lemme say thanks to every one for the welcomes and help...

well, as of yesterday i bought spark plugs, spark plug wires, 2 coil packs (because one looks fairly new). The wires and spark plugs looked pretty good, so i'm goin to assume it was the coil packs, the car is running STRRONNNGGG now! i cannot tell yall how damn excited i am!!! i took my boy for a ride, didnt tell him nothin, and he was like hold up....somethin wayyy different. Once again, appreciate yall! i still havnt put in the fuel filter yet, but thats this weekend, i put it some synthetic oil (like it'l make a diffence, but it was buy 1 get 1 free at advance auto parts!).

Alrigh, now this is what i did with the air box, tell me if i gotta do more work, i took out the red plastic inside of the box, the fram filter still looked good so i didnt replace it. now remember, this is deep florida, never gets cooler than 60 degree's. what else should i do?? I would LOVE to hear i lil more gurdle and yet still have some extra guts.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 pm

Glad you got her running right again. Keep hold of those coil packs... they may not be bad, and you (or someone here) might need one someday. I'll just say, you cannot tell the wires are bad by looking at them. When mine went, they still looked to be in very good shape.

Nice job on the air box. If you want to go a step further, I'd advise getting a K&N filter panel. And if that's not enough, take a read though this:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Supercharged-3800-Tech-c2/Series-II-Engine-Transmission-f4/Write-Up-Modified-Air-Box-CAI-t1289.htm

You sound like a DIY guy, so if you want even better performance, and the meanest sounding intake set-up of all, look into building your own. The FWI is especially loud under throttle, and even snarls a little at idle. Here's a few good reads:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Supercharged-3800-Tech-c2/Series-II-FAQ-f19/What-are-CAI-FWI-t29.htm

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Supercharged-3800-Tech-c2/Series-II-Engine-Transmission-f4/Write-Up-4-FWI-t107.htm

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Supercharged-3800-Tech-c2/Series-II-Engine-Transmission-f4/Write-Up-Custom-CAI-t37.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyTue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Glad you got the car running better. Aaron is right, the FWI is loud. Today I brought the car to the mechanic I usually go to because I had a screw in one of my tires (it didn't perforate, thank goodness). He said my car sounded like it was running pretty rough. He asked me to open the hood to check it out and was astonished to find...
4" Sewer pipe making the suction sound he had mistaken to be a rough running engine!

Anyhow, until you decide which route to go, I'd "swiss cheese" the airbox like drew did in the 1st link. The surface area of the riviera's OEM filter is pretty big, considerably bigger than a w-body's. Enlarge the hole where the grey baffle goes (on the box and the metal fender brace). You'll have to cut that metal part for a 4" fwi anyway. You can cut the box all the way to the vertical hole in the fender.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
dadeboy305
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyWed Aug 15, 2007 12:07 am

yea i kept everything, coil packs, spark plugs and the wires. u know, i was doing a lot of reading on that the other day, and it all looks real wise to do, but i dont know if im ready to put a hole in my car just yet, LoL. I know its for a good purpose and all though. I might give it a lil while before i decide to do it.
but uhh, whats exactly is DIY? im not up to date on terms and lingo if it doesnt have to do with mopar. but ey i appreciate it once again, i'm about to throw some tints on it tomorrow hopefully and then maybe see about cutting away...oye sh*t!
thanks for the links by the way! yall are some cool ol' peoples
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyWed Aug 15, 2007 6:06 pm

DIY = Do it Yourself wink

You aren't putting a hole in your car. You are enlarging a hole thats already there. wink If you put the stock airbox over it nobody will even know that it is enlarged.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyWed Aug 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Did you remove the grey piece in the bottom of the air box? If you don't know the piece I am talking about, check the link in my sig under gutted airbox. If you like the gutted air box and want to go further you can make a CAI or FWI. I didn't want to cut the hole bigger or deal with the horn so I elected to go with the CAI option. A good mod that I suggest that you do first is the strut tower brace. It won't make you accelerate faster, but it is worth it. You can also check that out on the same website.

Amateur

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 am

SpaceBar wrote:
DIY = Do it Yourself wink

You aren't putting a hole in your car. You are enlarging a hole thats already there. wink If you put the stock airbox over it nobody will even know that it is enlarged.

LoL, thats a good way to put it...pretty slick
Back to top Go down
dadeboy305
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 am

98riv wrote:
Did you remove the grey piece in the bottom of the air box? If you don't know the piece I am talking about, check the link in my sig under gutted airbox. If you like the gutted air box and want to go further you can make a CAI or FWI. I didn't want to cut the hole bigger or deal with the horn so I elected to go with the CAI option. A good mod that I suggest that you do first is the strut tower brace. It won't make you accelerate faster, but it is worth it. You can also check that out on the same website.

i didnt remove it yet, i was about to but it got kinda weird, the bolt towards the engine was easy, but which ever bolt was infront towards the headlights was some other size that i couldnt see and was running out of time on, i figured it would of been a good project for another day.

But yea i was thinkin about the strut brace because that car sure does have a lottt of lean on it on them turns. How much did u buy urs for?
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 am

[quote="dadeboy305"]
98riv wrote:
But yea i was thinkin about the strut brace because that car sure does have a lottt of lean on it on them turns. How much did u buy urs for?

I got mine from gmpartsdirect.com for about $30 shipped. Well worth it IMO.com
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 11:23 am

dadeboy305 wrote:
98riv wrote:

i didnt remove it yet, i was about to but it got kinda weird, the bolt towards the engine was easy, but which ever bolt was infront towards the headlights was some other size that i couldnt see and was running out of time on, i figured it would of been a good project for another day.

Yeah once you get that bolt removed, you are pretty much finished. I think I paid around $35 shipped from this site http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/?siteid=214152. It takes some time to get the ends bent just right, but it is worth it because it makes the car feel more stable.

Amateur

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP EmptyFri Aug 24, 2007 11:13 pm

appreciate that mane...im not sure if im gunna do it yet...$35 is definitely well worth it, but im not too worried about it yet. i didn't put a cone on though after i gutted the air box, do u suppose this will cause a problem down the road? i did leave the filter in the box tho...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP   3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP Empty

Back to top Go down

3 things i want to get out the way. PLEASE HELP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: