Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

hood insulation

Go down 
+2
AA
Mr.Riviera
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 2:38 pm

so my under hood insulation has been torn up for some time now, and it just got alot worse yesterday when i broke another belt. frown that is th 4th one i've replaced since i got the car!
side story; i had a coolant leak from the lower hose about a week ago, and the s/c belt jumped off the track and got a small tear in it. i replaced the hose, put the belt back on and it ran fine. i figured i has about a month left before i would have problems. (i was in the middle of moving and didnt have the time to change it out then)
of course it breaks on my lunch break the FIRST day of class! headshot
so i limped it home and had a friend run me to napa to get a new belt. i changed it with my tire jack, (turned up side down to support the motor, very dangerous and i dotn recomend it , but i had no other choice) using my hand tools, in my apartment parking space, at 12:00's 100* temps, by myself! and i changed it out in 2.5hrs joy i really should have cut that spacer a long time ago, but im a pro now at removing the mount and bracket.

ok so enough of my venting rant boohoo

i lost a lot more of the under hood insulation and i would like to either replace it, remove it, or patch it. anyone know where i can get one cheap?
also how do those tabs work? can i just pull them out or are they a one way pull-it & break-it type clip?
if i do remove it, are there any down sides? more noise, more heat build up, more chance of fire?
TIA,
Matthew
open to sugestions here, i cant win any car show with half the insulation falling down frown

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 2:55 pm

First thing, what brand of belt are you using? My last pair of Gates lasted 90k miles.

As for the hood lining, try taking it off and see what it looks like. It'll likely be noisier without, but should help with underhood cooling. The fasters are the push-in and grab type, the same that holds the trunk liner up over the rear shocks, I think. They're probably old and bent by now. If you install a new liner, pick up a few new ones at the dealership. Probably $2 each, but you can talk them down if you buy a bunch.wink

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 2:59 pm

i have the goodyear gator on the serpitine and gates on the s/c. i have never had a problem with their belts, and its what i always use. i think it just broke from the tear, extreme heat of stop and go traffic on the first day, and the coolant soaking the belt probalby weakened the rubber.

Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 3:59 pm

The only problem that might arise is the heat from the engine is going to warp your paint on the hood. I think ive got a stock gator belt if you want to buy it for cheap. It no longer applies to my engine 3gears
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Go through the Discount GM parts thread (put that link in your favorites) and see if Monster Parts Online or Rock Auto have it. Monster is usually the cheapest. If they don't, check the others or the yards.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyThu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 am

The hood insulation will cost you a small fortune in shipping charges if you don't order it from the dealer. It is only semi-rigid, needs a huge box to protect it. I get 25% off at my local dealer, I'll bet if you stop by and inquire on price & availability, then mention it's a lot cheaper at gmpartsdirect.com they will give you a deal. BEST OF ALL, the dealers do not add inbound shipping.

When I picked mine up, and first saw the box, would have sworn they had a HOOD boxed up for me... I think list was 80-something, I paid around 60? Also did buy the fasteners.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyThu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 am

I mentioned gmpartsdirect.com to mine and they told me to buy it there. >frown
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation EmptyThu Aug 23, 2007 11:08 am

That's a bummer, I'm sure there are dealer parts depts like that here and there. Guess they don't want or need your business. Do you know what shipping would be from gmpartsdirect? It's not a heavy box, but is very large, so UPS would get you with a dimensional charge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hood insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: hood insulation   hood insulation Empty

Back to top Go down

hood insulation
Page 1 of 1