Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
allfalldown
allfalldown

Name : Adam
Merit : 0

Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker Empty
PostSubject: Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker   Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker EmptyThu Sep 27, 2007 8:52 pm

Howdy,

My Circuit Breaker for my power seats has blown. It is a 25A aluminum CB under the rear seat. I tried to replace it with a 25A mini blade fuse that worked for just a few minutes and it got zapped out.

My first question, is this a circuit breaker and not a fuse - meaning, does it have to be replaced with another 25A aluminum block looking item? Or should this 25A mini blade fuse work just as well?

If I need the 25A circuit breaker compared to the fuse, where would I look for it first?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevyorange.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker   Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 3:49 pm

THe first thing I would do is get a voltmeter and do some testing to find out why the load of the power seat motors is so high, or at least connect it up and find the short by wiggling the seat wiring. 25A is a lot of juice. None of the seat motors by themselves draw anywhere near that much.

And yes you want the 25A circuit breaker, try AutoZone. Dealer has 'em too for more $$ (but not *that* much more).

The reason it's a breaker is so it self resets - if both seats move all the motors at the same time and they are all bound against their stops and held there you might reach that 25A draw and trip the breaker. Nobody usually does that. If your breaker blew so much that it quit self resetting, then something else is likely wrong.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

PostSubject: Re: Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker   Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 3:51 pm

Albertj,

Thanks for the info. I found a 25A breaker finally and installed it, and everything is fine.

The original one blew and then NAPA tried to get me to use small mini-fuses in its place... of course, they blew.

I finally figured out that it was a circuit breaker and found one and replaced it and all is well. The seats, mirrors, and memories are all powered by this one breaker.

Hopefully I'm good to go now!
Back to top Go down
97Riv-Jon
Enthusiast
97Riv-Jon

Name : Jon
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker   Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 7:20 am

Where did you find the 25A breaker ?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker   Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 11:53 am

Glad it worked out Adam - but please check the wires to the computer under the drivers' seat to see if there's a problem, at least look at them and be sure they are not a little loose, and see if teh works got wet at some point. You may need to clean things up a bit.

Just so the breaker does not trip when you least expect it.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

PostSubject: Re: Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker   Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 12:16 pm

It looks really clean under there - I'm wondering if it just wore out after 100k miles and 11 years?

I'm gonna be keeping an eye on it.

Jon,

I'll get the site when I get home tonight that I found the mini-breaker!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker   Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Seats/Power Mirrors Fuse/Circuit Breaker
Page 1 of 1