HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
dartcars
Rookie

Name : Josh
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 pm

there is almost no room i either need a lift or some c4 to blow this fucker up also autozone said there is a special battery that i need to get
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru

Name : robotennis
Merit : 142

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:36 pm

ok,the picture is a little broader now. if you dont have any work room and no leverage or space for tools,you have to get that battery.i mean,you cant drive the car without one! as for the special battery,well theyre big fuckers thats for sure.and az dont allways have em.you can also use a optima battery.you might have to splice in a longer negative cable.i had to. get the battery and bump the bolt.
if you cant wrap your head around all the suggestions,consider a mobile mechanic to come to the house.
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:42 pm

there is almost no room i either need a lift or some c4 to blow this fucker up also autozone said there is a special battery that i need to get
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:43 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
ok,the picture is a little broader now. if you dont have any work room and no leverage or space for tools,you have to get that battery.i mean,you cant drive the car without one! as for the special battery,well theyre big fuckers thats for sure.and az dont allways have em.you can also use a optima battery.you might have to splice in a longer negative cable.i had to. get the battery and bump the bolt.
if you cant wrap your head around all the suggestions,consider a mobile mechanic to come to the house.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Impact fer sure! Never had a problem with good air tools.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
albertj
Guru

Name :
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 pm

dartcars wrote:

Ummmm.... you need a "Group 79" battery. If you want a cheap way out call some junkyards in your area and fine one. They were in many mid-90s and early oughties ('00) CBOP (Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Pontiac) cars. I imagine from a junkyard you are talking $25 to $50 depending on condition and the yard's avaraice.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:48 pm

....i dont know aj,i think he C4'd the fucker and blew the block up! angel
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:50 am

i was about ready to blow it up robtennis61 but luckly i finally got the center bolt out i ve been researching online and it shows that there is a special puller for gm cars. the bolts are non standard does any one know the specs of the bolts? or if i could get them from a regular hardware store or do i need a specially hardware?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:45 am

...she aint quit bein a bitch just yet.....

http://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1535-write-up-removing-the-crank-pulley-harmonic-balancer?highlight=harmonic+balancer+removal

ya might be ok after this.
whatever you do get a good harmonic balancer or you will be doing this again real soon.
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:30 pm

bitches are never happy lol
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: removing harmonic balancer trying to get motor to stop spinning   Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:24 pm

i have a 97 buick riviera i am trying to remove the harmonic balancer to change the crank shaft sensor but i am currently having trouble getting the motor to stop spinning in order to remove the harmonic balancer any help is much appreciated
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator

Name : Aaron
Merit : 239

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 pm

You can do one of three things: remove the plastic flexplate (flywheel) cover on the bottom of engine, near transaxle. Use a flat screw driver or locking pliers to hold the flexplate in place while loosening the crank screw.

Or, you can just use an impact gun. It will loosen without turning over the engine.

Last method is to mount a breaker bar to the crank pulley, rest it against the frame, then turn the key for a split second to crank the engine.

'98 SC Riviera • 268k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180Ί t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

'05 GTO • 49k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26
Because fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:09 pm

yes they like to make it a pain in the ass
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:12 pm

i already have the center bolt out i just need to stop it from spinning in order to use the puller tool
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:28 am

I always use the 'lock the flywheel' method. It's really not that hard to get the cover off (two 10mm head bolts) and sometimes you need an assistant if you can't find the right size screwdriver/angle but it guarantees you don't have things turning while you work.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado

Name : Larry
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:43 am

There is a tool meant for turning a flexplate. It hooks on to the teeth in two places. You need two people, but that is the best way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3