Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer

Go down 
+19
rivparadise
TheReub
Abaddon
Eldo
Rickw
albertj
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
Natesriv
LARRY70GS
BillBoost37
PCweber
T Riley
Jason
Fastfrankie
scott_in_mesa
SpaceBar
AA
turtleman
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
dartcars
Rookie

Name : Josh
Merit : 0

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:16 pm

there is almost no room i either need a lift or some c4 to blow this fucker up also autozone said there is a special battery that i need to get
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:36 pm

ok,the picture is a little broader now. if you dont have any work room and no leverage or space for tools,you have to get that battery.i mean,you cant drive the car without one! as for the special battery,well theyre big fuckers thats for sure.and az dont allways have em.you can also use a optima battery.you might have to splice in a longer negative cable.i had to. get the battery and bump the bolt.
if you cant wrap your head around all the suggestions,consider a mobile mechanic to come to the house.
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 pm

there is almost no room i either need a lift or some c4 to blow this fucker up also autozone said there is a special battery that i need to get
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:43 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
ok,the picture is a little broader now. if you dont have any work room and no leverage or space for tools,you have to get that battery.i mean,you cant drive the car without one! as for the special battery,well theyre big fuckers thats for sure.and az dont allways have em.you can also use a optima battery.you might have to splice in a longer negative cable.i had to. get the battery and bump the bolt.
if you cant wrap your head around all the suggestions,consider a mobile mechanic to come to the house.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Impact fer sure! Never had a problem with good air tools.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 1:39 am

dartcars wrote:

Ummmm.... you need a "Group 79" battery.  If you want a cheap way out call some junkyards in your area and find one.  They were in many mid-90s and early oughties ('00) CBOP (Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Pontiac) cars.  I imagine from a junkyard you are talking $25 to $50 depending on condition and the yard's avarice.

Last edited by albertj on Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:48 am

....i dont know aj,i think he C4'd the fucker and blew the block up! angel
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 pm

i was about ready to blow it up robtennis61 but luckly i finally got the center bolt out i ve been researching online and it shows that there is a special puller for gm cars. the bolts are non standard does any one know the specs of the bolts? or if i could get them from a regular hardware store or do i need a specially hardware?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 4:45 pm

...she aint quit bein a bitch just yet.....

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1535-write-up-removing-the-crank-pulley-harmonic-balancer?highlight=harmonic+balancer+removal

ya might be ok after this.
whatever you do get a good harmonic balancer or you will be doing this again real soon.
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 5:30 pm

bitches are never happy lol
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: removing harmonic balancer trying to get motor to stop spinning   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 3:24 am

i have a 97 buick riviera i am trying to remove the harmonic balancer to change the crank shaft sensor but i am currently having trouble getting the motor to stop spinning in order to remove the harmonic balancer any help is much appreciated
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:08 am

You can do one of three things: remove the plastic flexplate (flywheel) cover on the bottom of engine, near transaxle. Use a flat screw driver or locking pliers to hold the flexplate in place while loosening the crank screw.

Or, you can just use an impact gun. It will loosen without turning over the engine.

Last method is to mount a breaker bar to the crank pulley, rest it against the frame, then turn the key for a split second to crank the engine.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:09 am

yes they like to make it a pain in the ass
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:12 am

i already have the center bolt out i just need to stop it from spinning in order to use the puller tool
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm

I always use the 'lock the flywheel' method. It's really not that hard to get the cover off (two 10mm head bolts) and sometimes you need an assistant if you can't find the right size screwdriver/angle but it guarantees you don't have things turning while you work.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 pm

There is a tool meant for turning a flexplate. It hooks on to the teeth in two places. You need two people, but that is the best way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 12:18 am

Rickw wrote:
Also remember the Bolt is TTY. One use and throw it away. Buy a new one for re-installation of the Balancer.

Where does one get the HB bolt? I don't see it on Rock Auto.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Also remember the Bolt is TTY. One use and throw it away. Buy a new one for re-installation of the Balancer.

Where does one get the HB bolt?  I don't see it on Rock Auto.

...do not pass Go, just call a NAPA store. Also, Advance Auto may have it as a Dorman OE Solutions item (especially if that store used to be a CarQuest), ask at the desk. That failing, a local mechanic will probably just tell you where they get them.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 11:10 pm

Do any of these look right - Link

I'll have to mail order since my local NAPA went out of business.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 1:43 am

Jack the R wrote:
Do any of these look right - Link

I'll have to mail order since my local NAPA went out of business.

Seriously, just phone a NAPA in a neighboring city. GM does not have much variation in this kind of hard mechanical part. They will likely sell you the BK 7355961 (Balkamp) or the NOE 6000186 (NAPA Solutions).

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 1:57 am

I guess I will - they wanted $21 to ship a $5 part!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I guess I will - they wanted $21 to ship a $5 part!  

Oh, well. Again, the Advance Auto (former Carquest) places would be good for that as well.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 11:27 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Rickw wrote:

Where does one get the HB bolt?  I don't see it on Rock Auto.

JR,
I bought mine from a local GM (Cadillac) dealership. Called them and they had it in 1 to 2 days time IIRC.
Easy peasy.

albertj likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2020 10:49 am

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 Harmonic-balancer-bolt-removal

Let me be sure I have this set up right before I crank it.

BTW do we have the same problem with the engine turning when tightening the bolt as with loosening it?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2020 11:24 am

As long as that breaker bar doesn't move, yeah, that will work.  The crank turns clockwise, so that will break the bolt loose.  I would take the belt off, you'll need to anyway.

You will have to lock the crank if you want to tighten it back up with a torque wrench.  Vice grip on the flex plate, or a screwdriver positioned in the flex plate to lock it.  I've even seen guys feed some nylon rope into a plug hole to act as a piston stop.  The VERY BEST way is to use an impact wrench.  I bought this Dewalt impact gun last year.  It is incredible.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/20v-max-xr-high-torque-12-in-cordless-impact-wrench-with-detent-pin-anvil-kit/dcf899p1

I just finished replacing the gasket for my timing cover on the GS455.  It sprung a coolant leak last week.  The Dewalt zipped that bolt off in less than 5 seconds.  That bolt needs to be torqued to 200 ft. lbs. MINIMUM.  The Dewalt tightened it back up in the same amount of time.  I marked the bolt and balancer before I loosened the bolt.  The Dewalt made it even tighter.  It zips off lug nuts with ease.  700 ft. lbs max torque.  Used it to replace my flex plate on the same car.  The crank bolts had red locktite.  It didn't matter, off they came.

That bolt is supposed to be replaced according to the FSM. It's a torque to yield bolt I guess. Tighten the new bolt to 111 ft lbs. Then another 76*. That's what the FSM says. When I had my crank sensor done years ago, we just used the air impact wrench to tighten it back up. It's been fine, at least 7-8 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next