HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?53.73
Share | 

Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Expert

Name: Rick
Merit: 100

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Are you sure the OEM cap isn't supposed to be vented.???
And possibly you just had the wrong cap on there to start with.?
I'm curious, I was able to do a complete flush of my pump and rack, in the process I had the return line disconnected from the pump and directed into a pan to catch the crap fluid coming out of the rack. Put everything back together the way it is supposed to be and didn't experience any air related problems. I know in the process I must have admitted some air even though the procedure I used would absolutely minimize any air, but still would expect a vented cap to handle it.
I did not inspect the cap that closely, other than to clean it. Now you make me want to take the cap off and get a better look, again just out of curiosity. But I'm not so curious to go out right now and look in 20* weather and in the dark.
Maybe another day.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Addict

Name: Mark

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:37 pm

It definitely does not vent, and it is the correct factory style cap that is as pristine as everything else under the hood. Even if the original owner somehow lost the cap, all of their work was done at the dealer.

I think I read somewhere ( ITIRS wink) that they went to a non-vented system to help prevent aeration of the fluid (yeah, that worked out real well...)
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Fanatic

Name: Bert
Merit: 32

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:00 pm

When I removed the PS cap on our 99 Riv it had the vacum pressure described.

I did not think anything of it at the time. scratch

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm

If a vented cap is the answer, aren't they available vented, as in the GM older style, from the auto parts stores in the HELP section.

BTW, After properly flushing the reservoir (about 5 times) and the steering rack and filling with fresh fluid and 1oz of Lucas additive, all my steering pump noise went away. Only added a measured 1 oz. and it took a while, maybe a couple hundred miles of driving, but it worked.
I was almost ready to replace pump and rack assy.
Not anymore.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Rickw wrote:
If a vented cap is the answer, aren't they available vented, as in the GM older style, from the auto parts stores in the HELP section.

BTW, After properly flushing the reservoir (about 5 times) and the steering rack and filling with fresh fluid and 1oz of Lucas additive, all my steering pump noise went away. Only added a measured 1 oz. and it took a while, maybe a couple hundred miles of driving, but it worked.

You're right Rick, I meant to add that when I wrote "and if you see an improvement go to Napa, etc. and buy a spare power steering cap in which you can drill a strategically placed vent hole..." I went back and added HELP!/Dorman/MotorMite to my prior post (they're all the same company now.)

PS - Thanks for the confirmation, Bert!
Back to top Go down
VJD2

Name: Vinny
Merit: 5

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:58 am

duckstu wrote:
I just ordered the hose for my 97 from Rockauto. (Pt# 36366500)

It's now cheaper than the $40 mentioned above. It was $28 and change. $33 with UPS Ground shipping.

I don't think this is the revised hose. If you notice they have the AC Delco hose there which is the old part number, not the revised TSB part number. Also if you punch in the revised part number and the old part number into GM Parts Direct there is a major difference in price for the old one and the revised one.

I think the Rock Auto deal is too good to be true @ only $28 for the revised hose.

Doing the research now because I'm hoping to replace my hose soon to get rid of the damn shuddering when turning.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:17 am

Try plugging the revised (newest) P/N into www.monsterpartsonline.com
Have found them to have the best prices on OEM GM parts.
I don't remember the new P/n right now or else I'd plug it in for you.
If you have any problem with the P/N not showing as a valid number with monsterparts, use there contact (email) feature and direct a inquiry to Patrick, he handles ALL on-line orders and will answer your email and solve most if not all your problems.
At least he has for me. He's a very good guy.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:20 am

FROM PAGE ONE of this post: HTH

The bulletin I have is dated, Jan 31, 2001:
I only listed the Riviera
since that is all the info we need, RIGHT! wink

Condition
Some customers may comment on a steering vibration, shudder or moan noise when steering during parking maneuvers on dry pavement.

Correction
Install a new power steering pressure (inlet) hose assembly on the following vehicles:
- 1995 98 Buick Riviera
- P/N 26059162
Pressure/Inlet Hyd Hose Assembly (with Magna Steer)

This is what I came up with on monster parts:
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
26059162 $130.03 $0.00 $85.24

HOSE

I would still contact Patric and see what he may be able to do for you.
Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:16 am

Just a reminder that of the 3 things I did, the 6 ounces of Lucas made the most improvement, the vented cap made the second most improvement, and the stinking PITA hose made the least!

Unfortunately, I trusted the TSB and did these things in the exact reverse order... headbutt
Back to top Go down
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 am

Rickw wrote:
FROM PAGE ONE of this post: HTH

The bulletin I have is dated, Jan 31, 2001:
I only listed the Riviera
since that is all the info we need, RIGHT! wink

Condition
Some customers may comment on a steering vibration, shudder or moan noise when steering during parking maneuvers on dry pavement.

Correction
Install a new power steering pressure (inlet) hose assembly on the following vehicles:
- 1995 98 Buick Riviera
- P/N 26059162
Pressure/Inlet Hyd Hose Assembly (with Magna Steer)

This is what I came up with on monster parts:
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
26059162 $130.03 $0.00 $85.24

HOSE

I would still contact Patric and see what he may be able to do for you.
Good Luck

Damn I didn't see that info in the first post! DOH! Well thanks for the info.

I put the part number into GM Parts Direct and it came up with the best prices. $77.08. I'll still call Patrick and see if he can meet or beat the price.

Eldo wrote:
Just a reminder that of the 3 things I did, the 6 ounces of Lucas made the most improvement, the vented cap made the second most improvement, and the stinking PITA hose made the least!

Unfortunately, I trusted the TSB and did these things in the exact reverse order... headbutt

Really? Hmm, maybe I will try that first. I know I read about the vented cap but for time sake do you have a part number or anything so I can pick one up quick? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Junkie

Name: Scott
Merit: 134

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 pm

The shudder doesn't bother me really, I'm used to it. It's not hurting anything so I just deal with it.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.somersetbuickgmc.com
albertj
Expert

Name:
Merit: 114

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Abaddon wrote:
The shudder doesn't bother me really, I'm used to it. It's not hurting anything so I just deal with it.....

6 oz or so of Lucas is as likely as anything else to get rid of that shudder (read my posts early in this thread - thread started off me asking *why* that goose juice worked at all).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:40 pm

VJD2 wrote:
Eldo wrote:

Really? Hmm, maybe I will try that first. I know I read about the vented cap but for time sake do you have a part number or anything so I can pick one up quick? Thanks!

Afraid not... As I said above, I just used an old style cap off of my Wildcat, which doesn't have the proper length dip-stick for the Rivi. I would take the Rivi cap into a parts store and compare it the the Dorman/HELP! products to find a cheap replacement and then drill my own vent hole in it.

Frankly I've never gotten around to it since I have to move out of state this season, but even with the 'proper' cap back on the car, I only get one lesser groan (with less resistance thru the wheel) every few trips now... Whereas I would originally get at least one occurrence every driving cycle, after the Lucas treatment it's now infrequent enough, and weak enough, that it doesn't really register with me. It also parks easier, with no 'loaded' sound or feeling.

For those healthy enough that they don't dread putting the car up on stands, I'd recommend starting out by going under and pulling the return hose off the pump, sticking it into an empty container of some sort, and having someone slowly crank the wheel with the engine running while I carefully poured/siphoned fresh fluid into it. Then I'd put everything back together, add 4 to 6 ounces of Lucas to the reservoir, top it off with fluid and probably be done with it... for a whole lot less money and work than replacing the hose(s).
Back to top Go down
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Hmm, alright. I'll try the easy way out first.

I'm just one of those people who can't stand things like that on my car. I have to fix it!

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Eldo wrote:

For those healthy enough that they don't dread putting the car up on stands, I'd recommend starting out by going under and pulling the return hose off the pump, sticking it into an empty container of some sort, and having someone slowly crank the wheel with the engine running while I carefully poured/siphoned fresh fluid into it. Then I'd put everything back together, add 4 to 6 ounces of Lucas to the reservoir, top it off with fluid and probably be done with it... for a whole lot less money and work than replacing the hose(s).
This flush, described above, flushes the pump and steering rack and worked for me.
I put whatever the reservoir holds in fluid oz. of Lucas in and after driving the car for about a week the noise slowly went away.
Did not go away immediately, but give it a little time and keep checking the reservoir daily and top off with lucas as need. I don't think I used more than 4-5 oz. of Lucas.
Back to top Go down

Steering shudder, pump or rack noise?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::  :: -