Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On

Go down 
+75
JR3800
makemann1
designer1962
th3fr4nchi5e
al_roethlisberger
jbeganny
chitown_riv98
bmcd9179
joshuadalegrimes
taongisurvivor
matt270avian
bigdave
back in BLACK
crstump
sniperdude
ZEP
RidzRiv
portiz966
adri
rk0ehn
atteboy1
Jack the R
SCbuick010
jonly
Eldo
1998 Riv
robotennis61
Abaddon
BrianEsser
moldymac
GMFreak8
duckstu
nigelf
jamie
Mikel
RivGuy
jrocha
BKRIV
Snowdog
ibmoses
curious riv
Rickw
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
manofmany
1wickedninja
Pudgee
SuperRiv07
jrockstangs
'96reese
baynes72
Chicken
willy#1
Natesriv
TypetoHarry
Shintsu
96RIVMANN
albertj
BillBoost37
330racing
54_nailhead
ChiTownRiv
Jason
etosino2009
L67
steel2040
turtleman
racinfan
lionfish
deekster_caddy
AA
98riv
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
NO 4 EVR
79 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyThu Feb 01, 2007 6:06 pm

I was just curious about how our traction control works exactly and if there were any changes in any model years.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 3:03 pm

i'm not aware of any changes in the EBTCM (Electronic Brake Traction Control Motor) from 95-99. however since our traction control works by aplying the brakes, the newer riv with the larger rotors have a slightly more efficent EBCTM.

some trac. systems reduce spark, pull fuel, brake wheels or reduce the throttle position. i think ours only works with brakes but it may also use spark advance.

this is from the how-it-works site and it explains it better than i can smile

"Enter electronic traction control. In modern vehicles, traction-control systems utilize the same wheel-speed sensors employed by the antilock braking system. These sensors measure differences in rotational speed to determine if the wheels that are receiving power have lost traction. When the traction-control system determines that one wheel is spinning more quickly than the others, it automatically "pumps" the brake to that wheel to reduce its speed and lessen wheel slip. In most cases, individual wheel braking is enough to control wheel slip. However, some traction-control systems also reduce engine power to the slipping wheels. On a few of these vehicles, drivers may sense pulsations of the gas pedal when the system is reducing engine power much like a brake pedal pulsates when the antilock braking system is working."

HTH Matthew

Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
When the traction-control system determines that one wheel is spinning more quickly than the others, it automatically "pumps" the brake to that wheel to reduce its speed and lessen wheel slip. In most cases, individual wheel braking is enough to control wheel slip. However, some traction-control systems also reduce engine power to the slipping wheels.

HTH Matthew

I believe the '95 uses the braking method and the '96 and newer use engine power reduction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 7:03 pm

my EBTCM is connected in line with my brake system on the 96'. they may use both from 96+

Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Thats what I was thinking. I know the breaks are being applied but I wan't sure about any other methods used.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 7:34 pm

I know on my car it pulls timing. I used my ls1m scanner and my timing dropped down to 0 when the traction control engaged. I don't know if it applies the brakes or not.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptySat Feb 03, 2007 12:47 pm

TC uses both methods, depending on the situation. I think it's brakes first, then timing if needed.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Traction Control   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 1:11 pm

From: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/Riviera-Talk-c4/Riviera-News-Reviews-f15/94-Riviera-Marketing-Video-t152.htm

racinfan wrote:
What is this "4 wheel traction control" feature mentioned in the video @4:38? Is it some sort of rare stabili-trak option or was it a blatant lie? Maybe they were referring to "2 wheel traction control" and wanted to make it sound more impressive?

ABS?
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 2:05 pm

racinfan wrote:
What is this "4 wheel traction control" feature mentioned in the video @4:38? Neat video though.

Traction Control intervention can consist of any, or all, of the following:

1) Retard or suppress the spark to one or more cylinders
2) Reduce fuel supply to one or more cylinders
3) Brake one or more wheels

The Traction Control system shares the brake actuator and the wheel speed sensors with the anti-lock braking system.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

Name : Joe

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 5:47 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
racinfan wrote:
What is this "4 wheel traction control" feature mentioned in the video @4:38? Is it some sort of rare stabili-trak option or was it a blatant lie? Maybe they were referring to "2 wheel traction control" and wanted to make it sound more impressive?

ABS?

They had already mentioned ABS during that little floating features part of the movie. It is probably just traction control as we know it. It would be cool to have ESP though.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 pm

racinfan wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:
racinfan wrote:

ABS?

They had already mentioned ABS during that little floating features part of the movie. It is probably just traction control as we know it. It would be cool to have ESP though.

That would be great! Just think it: "Get the F*** out of my way" and the opponents change lanes... Or better, you could ESP some thought like "I need to lose this race and go get some groceries" and they do it! Imagine their confusion when one minute they were racing some Riviera, the next thing they know they're in the checkout lane!
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 4:17 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
That would be great! Just think it: "Get the F*** out of my way" and the opponents change lanes... Or better, you could ESP some thought like "I need to lose this race and go get some groceries" and they do it! Imagine their confusion when one minute they were racing some Riviera, the next thing they know they're in the checkout lane!
rotf wtf

lionfish wrote:
racinfan wrote:
What is this "4 wheel traction control" feature mentioned in the video @4:38? Neat video though.

The Traction Control system shares the brake actuator and the wheel speed sensors with the anti-lock braking system.

Right, that doesn't explain the "4 wheel" thing though.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 4:19 pm

[quote="racinfan"]
deekster_caddy wrote:
rotf wtf

X2 dunno

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 4:55 pm

Didn't he say 'ESP'? What's ESP on a car?
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 5:07 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Didn't he say 'ESP'? What's ESP on a car?
haha, I thought you were joking. It's "electronic stability program."
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Lol... dunce

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyWed Feb 07, 2007 8:26 am

lionfish wrote:
racinfan wrote:

Right, that doesn't explain the "4 wheel" thing though.[/quote]

Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyWed Feb 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Yes, and we only have 2 drive wheels. The rears have nothing to do with it, hence my confusion with the "4 wheel traction control" feature.
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyWed Feb 07, 2007 3:33 pm

From the '95 GM service manual GMP/95-G-2F (book 2, Page 8A-44-1):

The most common and well-known traction control device is the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS). ABS is designed to prevent four (4) wheels from locking up during panic or hard braking. When braking, if your front wheels lock-up, steering control is lost and your car will continue in the same path as before you attempted to brake. The system consists of a host of speed sensors and a central computer. Speed sensors are located at the wheels of the car, which tell the computer how fast they are turning. The computer constantly evaluates the speed of the vehicle and the speed of the wheels. When the brake pedal is depressed and the speed of the wheel reaches or get close to locking-up, the ABS computer will then modulate the amount of brake pressure (or “pump” the brakes), as fast as fifteen times per second, on that wheel. This continuing modulation or pumping will prevent or correct wheel lock-up and allow the driver to brake and steer.

Traction Control is used to prevent the wheels from losing grip when accelerating. Spinning tires during hard acceleration may be dramatic, but it is the slowest way to get to your desired speed. Using the car’s ABS speed sensors at the wheels, the Traction Control computer compares the drive wheel’s speed to the car’s road speed. If there is a loss of grip event during acceleration, there are a number of ways that the Traction Control slows the wheels so they can regain grip. The most common method is to use the braking system on all four (4) wheels. When the wheels lose grip, the ABS computer can apply the brake to the wheel that has lost grip to slow it down so it can regain grip. Another method for slowing the slipping wheels is to reduce the amount of power applied to them. The computer will electronically modify the amount of fuel entering the engine and/or use the transmission to slow the drive wheels so they can regain grip.
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyWed Feb 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Once again, the braking action is only done on the DRIVE WHEELS. For an AWD car your copy/pasted information would be correct. I'd love to see the source of the information as well.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 8:11 pm

i still dont see why the trac off light turns on when the CKP sensor misreads. got any more info on how our cars pulls fuel? and can anyone check the service manual for the 96+ riv's to see if there are any differences in the way the trac ctrl operates.

Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyThu Feb 15, 2007 11:42 pm

ABS on our cars is 4 wheel, but the ABS on my bonnie was 2 wheel as the dang thing still had rear drums.

I wonder about this 4 wheel traction also. They must have been applying that phrase to ABS only as TCS on the rear wheels that have no power would be more of an ESP system. I don't think the rears get factored into the TCS, only the ABS
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyFri Feb 16, 2007 9:49 am

I think the rear wheel speeds might be factored into the TCS calculations. It would help the system figure out if you were spinning one or both wheels, how sharp of a corner you are going around, etc...
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyFri Feb 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Oh yeah, that would make sense. The rears should only be spinning as fast as the car is going. So you could call it 4 wheel traction.....
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On EmptyThu Mar 08, 2007 2:18 am

I dont know if any of you noticed this but if you push the button to turn off traction control and then spin the tires to above 50, it still engages the traction control (not by using the abs system though). If youre on snow and gun it, you can clearly tell. the engine will sound as if its hitting a rev limiter. The only way ive found to fully disable the system is to remove the abs fuse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next