Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On

Go down 
+75
JR3800
makemann1
designer1962
th3fr4nchi5e
al_roethlisberger
jbeganny
chitown_riv98
bmcd9179
joshuadalegrimes
taongisurvivor
matt270avian
bigdave
back in BLACK
crstump
sniperdude
ZEP
RidzRiv
portiz966
adri
rk0ehn
atteboy1
Jack the R
SCbuick010
jonly
Eldo
1998 Riv
robotennis61
Abaddon
BrianEsser
moldymac
GMFreak8
duckstu
nigelf
jamie
Mikel
RivGuy
jrocha
BKRIV
Snowdog
ibmoses
curious riv
Rickw
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
manofmany
1wickedninja
Pudgee
SuperRiv07
jrockstangs
'96reese
baynes72
Chicken
willy#1
Natesriv
TypetoHarry
Shintsu
96RIVMANN
albertj
BillBoost37
330racing
54_nailhead
ChiTownRiv
Jason
etosino2009
L67
steel2040
turtleman
racinfan
lionfish
deekster_caddy
AA
98riv
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
NO 4 EVR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15
AuthorMessage
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Is it normal to have the abs pump run when first driving?

Last edited by stydel311 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 2:41 pm

bump

Last edited by stydel311 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 5:34 pm

stydel311 wrote:

stydel311 wrote:
About a month ago I was driving through town and the abs light came on, so now both the abs light and traction off lights are on (abs definitely doesn't work anymore). I pulled the abs light since I didn't have time to work on it. I'll get it scanned tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone has any guesses as to what caused the abs to come on now. The original code was C1274 like stated earlier. Just to double check, is the EBTCM the computer mounted on the side of the strut tower on the drivers side?

Moving this from my other topic into this one.  I got codes scanned an in addition to C1274 PMV Pressure Switch Circuit, now it pulls C1215 Suspect Valve Malfunction, C1256 Left Rear Outlet Valve Circuit, and C1237 Left Rear Wheel Speed is 0.  I will go check the wiring to the left wheel sensor, are the other 3 codes indicators of a bad EBTCM?

Perhaps you could fix the wheel sensor and/or its wiring, clear all the codes, then see.

Also and hopefully it is not too late - change/flush the brake fluid. When it's brown it is moisture laden and the ABS does not like that. It should be no darker than clover honey (IMHO). You can use a synthetic fluid (may be sold as DOT 3, DOT 3/4 or DOT 4) to slow down the darkening. The brakes will be firmer with a DOT 4 fluid in. Crappy fluid will mess up the ABS/Trac system.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:31 pm

I took the wheel off this afternoon, hooked up the volt meter and got up to 4 millivolts when spinning the wheel.  So, after assuming that the sensor in the hub is working, I followed the wire for it up to where it looms together with the wiring for the other side and goes into the connector clipped to the metal plates by the 2 other connectors.  I couldn't get both hands under the car to get the pin out of the top and take the connector apart to look at the terminals.  The wires coming out of these connectors loom together and go up through the floor to under the back seat, but after that they go into a loom of about 50 wires.  I did find that the ground under the back seat on the drivers side was nasty so I fixed that.  Currently still have the battery disconnected to make sure everything is reset.  I would like to get that connector that's clipped to the metal plate apart to see if there is a break in the wiring between the sensor and that connector, otherwise the break would be between there and (I'm assuming the sensors are hooked up to the EBTCM) the EBTCM.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Wiring from sensor reading 0mph has continuity all the way up to the connector on the EBTCM, wiring is good.

Last edited by stydel311 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 3:28 pm

stydel311 wrote:
Wiring from sensor reading 0mph has continuity all the way up to the connector on the EBTCM, also has same resistance readings as the other side.  Is it possible that there is something internally wrong with the EBTCM?

Yep.

Abaddon please weigh in - but IIRC the FSM says swap in a known good EBTCM to test at this point. I do not know if the EBTCM can be opened and repaired in the field. I have heard of rebild services such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-EBCM-COMPUTER-MODULE-REPAIR-KELSEY-HAYES-325-KH-325-BUICK-RAINIER-04-05-/282050213985?fits=Make%3ABuick&hash=item41ab80b861:g:8oMAAOSw6btXR2X9&vxp=mtr - but I have not had to use their (or any other) service so I can not say really.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptySun Jan 01, 2017 1:45 am

stydel311 wrote:
Wiring from sensor reading 0mph has continuity all the way up to the connector on the EBTCM, also has same resistance readings as the other side.  Is it possible that there is something internally wrong with the EBTCM?

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same problem
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptySun Jan 01, 2017 11:04 am

chitown_riv98 wrote:

stydel311 wrote:

Speed sensor was bad.

Last edited by stydel311 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptySun Jan 01, 2017 7:07 pm

stydel311 wrote:

chitown_riv98 wrote:

stydel311 wrote:

That's too bad, I've been trying to get the light to shut off with our success my self and was getting tempted to replace the EBTCM

I swapped in a different ebtcm from eBay yesterday that was supposedly working, I was thinking there was something wrong on the circuit board of the original ebtcm so that it wasn't getting a connection internally to the pin on the connector for the rear sensor. Both lights are still on however but I haven't had a chance to get it scanned to see if it's the same codes, so it could be getting sensor signal but the light is on for some other reason. I did open up the original one (it's a pain, it's all sealed together) and reflowed all of the solder joints but it made no difference.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 am

I watched the following, and wondered if your test was really telling you what you think it was telling you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qap4m_FR2J0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0HrG7sujvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujc6pjftZ_w

I don't know what voltage the brake computer is expecting to see, and I don't know if the wheel sensors are magnetic or Hall Effect. I don't know if you ran your test key-on or -off nor do I know if the test was with sensor in circuit or disconnected. So - I'm sorry but I can't help you more with this, don't have the data.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Don't measure the mV of the WSS. Instead, measure the resistance of the sensor itself. It should be somewhere between 850 and 1350 Ohms. Any higher or lower, the WSS is bad.

BTW, the mV reading for a functioning WSS is 100mV.

Proper resistance of a length of wire is .4 Ohms, give or take +/- .1 for temperature.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 am

Abaddon wrote:
Don't measure the mV of the WSS. Instead, measure the resistance of the sensor itself. It should be somewhere between 850 and 1350 Ohms. Any higher or lower, the WSS is bad.

BTW, the mV reading for a functioning WSS is 100mV.

Proper resistance of a length of wire is .4 Ohms, give or take +/- .1 for temperature.  

Well, if the WSS is sending 4 mV when it's supposed to send 100mV...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 12:10 pm

albertj wrote:
Well, if the WSS is sending 4 mV when it's supposed to send 100mV...

Correct. However, I'm willing to bet that the resistance is way off as well. I'm yet to see a WSS with the proper resistance reading and a wrong mV reading. Just easier to go right to Ohms instead of spinning the wheel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On
Page 15 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15