Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On

Go down 
+75
JR3800
makemann1
designer1962
th3fr4nchi5e
al_roethlisberger
jbeganny
chitown_riv98
bmcd9179
joshuadalegrimes
taongisurvivor
matt270avian
bigdave
back in BLACK
crstump
sniperdude
ZEP
RidzRiv
portiz966
adri
rk0ehn
atteboy1
Jack the R
SCbuick010
jonly
Eldo
1998 Riv
robotennis61
Abaddon
BrianEsser
moldymac
GMFreak8
duckstu
nigelf
jamie
Mikel
RivGuy
jrocha
BKRIV
Snowdog
ibmoses
curious riv
Rickw
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
manofmany
1wickedninja
Pudgee
SuperRiv07
jrockstangs
'96reese
baynes72
Chicken
willy#1
Natesriv
TypetoHarry
Shintsu
96RIVMANN
albertj
BillBoost37
330racing
54_nailhead
ChiTownRiv
Jason
etosino2009
L67
steel2040
turtleman
racinfan
lionfish
deekster_caddy
AA
98riv
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
NO 4 EVR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: ABS Light   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Came on on way home,

manual says to take key out and reset, I did. Light is still on..

Guess I should have the code pulled and see if it's a wheel speed sensor... and I guess I'll ebay the part....

Really thinking it's time for a new car....
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 7:21 pm

how do you reset it just pull the key out or do you have to do something else?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 10:17 am

I think take key out, car off and it resets....
i turned car back on, and moment I pushed brake pedal...light went on.... car not moving...

ideas???
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 8:51 am

Well, the light has gone out...then today came back on. When i got to work I turned car off, pumped brakes a few times and turned back on...light off.

Talked to a buddy at work and it could be a valve or something in the ABS system... dirt and debris probably in the brake fluid...a flush could really help.
Back to top Go down
Pudgee
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 2:15 am

....I've read that it can be a bad ABS sensor or even a dirty pick up gear? ....the toothed ring that the sensor picks up from. FYI.
Back to top Go down
willy#1
Special

Name : Bill

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi from willy#1, In reply to abs and traction control problem, I changed my hubs,still had abs trac prob, troubleshot complete system after getting mt2500 found the abs modulator bad, the best way to find these abs problems is to spend the money for a good scanner or take it to a shop that will scan it for you, that is if you trust the people doing it,anyway now I know whats up, and it will be verry costly, hope this info helps others
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Sorry to hear it willy... at least you have new wheel bearings!
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: abs and traction off light?   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 1:21 am

Hey i have a quick question today at work i moved my car around the building to a closer parking spot. While i was doing that both the traction off and the abs light came on. Well as you guys probably know its been raining pretty bad do to the tropical storm of the coast of Florida. Any ways guys at work told me that it could of just got wet and in a couple of days it should go off. what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 am

From what I've read it's generally an indicator of a bad hub. My ABS/Traction lights are on as well.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 11:00 am

lights been off for weeks now. buddy and i thought it may have been a piston or some moving part internal to the abs (i really don't know the terminology)... pumping the brakes a few times circulated the fluid and cleared up any gunk or what not which was clogging.

I've also recently had the brakes flushed and the light is still off... ABS does work too, as I slammed the brakes a few times and it engaged.

traction control is not working. I removed the bulb which says Traction Off, don't really need it in a 3k + lb FWD car..
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 11:44 am

Hmmm.... you might want that traction control if you ever hit patches of black ice or wet leaves.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 pm

Well it all depends on the person I suppose. I HATE TC and ABS so I have no intentions on fixing it until/if something breaks.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: ABS and Traction Control??   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 2:49 pm

Quick question,

Is the ABS system below the traction control motor? Are they a combined unit? My ABS light is on, and my traction control doesn't work (hasn't in awhile) so I wonder if they are combined..
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 4:49 pm

ABS, traction control, and the magnasteer are all incorperated with one another. Mine went out with a faulty hub. It could be the hub, hub sensor, wiring (not usually) or the main box.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 5:04 pm

i had the same problem and i replaced the wire harness and it was fixed.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 am

what do you mean "wire harness" where, at the hub, on the EBTCM???

Is there any "CHEAP" way to read an ABS code??
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 12:55 pm

Natesriv wrote:

Not free, but I went into a garage that had one of those big-ass BEAR computer diagnostic systems, explained to the mech. that I was a DIY'er and just needed to know which wheel sensor was out. He put my car on his lift, hooked up the machine and gave all 4 wheels a spin. I left minus $30 and only had to replace one wheel bearing, problem solved.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Natesriv wrote:

The harness giving me trouble was the one in between the 2 rear wheels that was clipped on by the axle. The coating on the wires had worn out and it was shorting out. I just grabbed one off of a junkyard riv and it was all fixed.
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike

PostSubject: abs and traction control   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 1:53 am

I just purchased my riv a little while ago and i found out that along with the upgraded pcm came a disabled abs, and disabled traction control. this bugs me a lot. anyone know what i should do to fix this? I want to keep the performance shift points, but i want all my features back. please help!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:24 am

Most likely it's a wheel speed sensor. Start by cleaning the connectors just inside the front wheels.
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 am

what does it look like. im not familiar with it.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:29 am

I think the upgraded PCM has the TC and ABS disabled so that the torque management doesn't interfere with some of the tuning. I know when we tuned my car getting around the TM was difficult. I still have TC and ABS though but it took a while...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:45 am

mike,
Do yourself a favor and buy the Factory Service Manual.
I did shortly after buying my Riv. and it's been very helpful and worth every penny i spent.
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:07 pm

how did you do that eric and what do i need to do in order to restore them because the sensor is clean and it works it is just disabled because of what you mentioned. and also is there any other way than with a tuner for my car? looking to do it quickly before winter. winter in wisconsin is an S.O.B.!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:27 pm

If TC and ABS is disabled by Intense Std. PCM, then I'll need this info also. Just received PCM yesterday, have yet to install though.
Going with Derek on Friday to Dyno tune shop. He and brother have scheduled a couple of hours. I'm just going to meet and observe.
Turns out shop is less than 8 Miles from my house and i didn't even know it.
If my PCM needs additional tuning to enable TC and ABS I'd like to be able to speak to these guys about it somewhat intelligently, if thats possible.!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On   FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Anti-Lock Brakes and/or Traction Control Light/Lamp On
Page 4 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next