Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Interesting problem under the hood

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

Interesting problem under the hood Empty
PostSubject: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptySat Oct 20, 2007 12:16 am

Been gone a while, I know, been busy and the Riv has been alright till now. Yesterday I noticed the riv being a little louder than usual. I wrote it off as being caused by the colder fall air.

But when I got home today after the problem happening I smelled a strange ordor. I know what oil and coolant smell like, and this was not it. It was more of a plastic/rubber ish smell I guess.

And by louder I mean it is like whiney-er I guess. I can hear some engine component being louder than it should. It almost sounds like something on the accessory belt like a pump whinning louder. I am pretty sure the two issues are the same problem. But what problem? It sounded like it was coming from the alternator area. I heard it because my roommate reved the engine while I listened.
Any help would be awesome.

EDIT: oh and I noticed the riv being slightly sluggish when I started hearing the noise, not a bad sluggish, but with temps around 60F it was driving like it was 80F
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptySat Oct 20, 2007 1:46 am

Change all your idler pulleys before they disintegrate.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptySat Oct 20, 2007 10:03 am

Listen closely to the alternator, check it's temperature and output voltage, or have a mechanic check it out. Mine mechanically failed at only 35k miles, whined like an extra supercharger for a month until I figured it out.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptySat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

It sounded like the alternator, I just didn't know they made such a noise. I'll check it out.

And as for the pulleys, I know! I will change them soon, but I don't think it is them causing this problem.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptySat Oct 20, 2007 6:49 pm

power steering resov full? clear-ish in color?
if your getting a burnt smell then you may want to take the belts off and turn the pulleys each by hand feeling for any loose or grining pullies. or take a long screw driver to each while running and listen for bad bearings.

Back to top Go down
robertwolf86
Fanatic
robertwolf86

Name : robert
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptySat Oct 20, 2007 10:21 pm

the powerstearing is under the alternator so the noise and or smell could be coming from that.
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptySun Oct 21, 2007 11:25 pm

I'll check that in the day. Personally I think it is a pump issue, but my diagnosis is harldy right lol. Thanks for the advice.

If it is the PS pump what are the chances I may have shot it? I worry about these things.
Thanks again! Will update tomorrow
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 3:40 pm

The fluid level seems to be at a proper level when cold. The fluid is a dark brownish color tho. Should it be clear?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 3:46 pm

it is clear when new :/ looks kinda like DOT3.

you could try sucking as much of the old stuff out and replacing it with some gm "cold" PS fluid. i would use a turkey baster and fish tank hose. thats what i used at least. or you could take it somewhere to have them flush it.
if the level is alright, then this probably isnt your problem, but it wont hurt to clean it up some smile you may even feel some improvment in steering.

Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 pm

I bet I would feel an inprovement so I will do that sometime.

However I started the car up and tried to look at other things. The first thing I noticed was the smell was familiar. Not familiar to cars tho, but familiar to metal working like working with high heat and or welding.

After a couple minutes I swore the sound was coming from the alternator area. I touched the alternator to see what I could feel, and damn was it HOT! It didn't burn me but it scared me. More than a half second and it would have burned me. Now I did a test on my Impala and it did not get above slightly warm after at least twice as long.

Anyone have part numbers on an alternator? I know the original is no longer made and there is one or two compatible replacements. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting problem under the hood   Interesting problem under the hood Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting problem under the hood
Page 1 of 1