Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Undercoating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 12:43 am

from: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/riviera-talk-f21/paid-off-the-riv-t1673.htm

Jack the R: "I've read a few different times that rust proofing the underbody actually traps moisture against it and makes it rust faster. I had it done to my Charger 14 years ago and haven't noticed a problem, but I haven't had it up on a lift for inspection."

Jack, I wonder if that isn't dependent on the quality of the prep work done before applying the undercoat. I haven't begun researching this idea yet, but will keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 2:12 pm

I haven't heard that possibility mentioned before.

I don't see how the undercoating could be worse than having road salt splashing up onto the chassis, but this is what I have heard.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 2:48 pm

My opinion is, newer cars are designed/built with drainage systems. Look around and you'll see channels and holes near the bottoms of fenders and plastic panels. If you spray on thick undercoating material (it looks like tar), the drainage holes could become plugged. If this happens, moisture will build up inside, where there is no rust protection. Then you have a problem.

I'm not against rust proofing, but it has to be done right. Personally, I think it makes sense to buy your own and touch up the areas that need it.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 4:06 pm

On my Riv, there are small pockets at the bottom of the rear wheel wells, at the front side, that fills with dirt/rocks/debris. I have to manually clean it out. No matter how well drainage is designed into a car, there will be places that defy the odds.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 4:52 pm

True. And if you notice along the edges of the rear window there are tunnels for channeling water from the roof down to the trunk, which then runs out the back over the tail lights. Usually the chrome is worn on each side because of this. I'm always finding crud stuck in these areas. The trunk is easy to clean, the window edges are not.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyThu Oct 25, 2007 10:27 pm

I looked at mine today and it is flaking off in huge chunks. The area that was covered doesn't look bad though.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyFri Oct 26, 2007 2:07 am

1998 Riv, I just came across an alternative to the Ziebart type undercoating - bed liner coating. I found a reference to it on Mopowerstyle -

Link

Post #3 -

Quote :
I know a few people that swear by spraying bedliners under cars they're building. It preserves the metal, hides some ugly, and is a good sound deadener.

It is a bitch to get of if you put it on!

The bedliner stuff is about 8X thicker than what Ziebart sprays on.
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 8:33 pm

I come from the winter wonderland of Western NY so I feel almost qualified warning everyone about underocating hazards. Aaron mentioned the importance of keeping drainage holes clear so be careful using the bedliner as an undercoat, if you're going this route place stir sticks or straws into all drainage areas before shooting the coating and pull them out before it fully cures. More important is proper preparation and being careful not to trap the slightest bit of moisture, even small area with a little trapped road salt will start eating its way out somehow once trapped beneath the bedliner so clean it well and blow it off well with air a few times. I used to go every November to a guy in Niagara Falls Canada who would shoot old motor oil and parafin mixture all over the undercarriage..it was a mess but cleaned off easily with high pressure soap and water in the spring and kept most of the road salt damage at bay...they use alot of salt there and really rots the cars so badly most of us would garage our rides for the winter and buy beaters. Im driving my Riv this winter but making sure to keep the the chassis clean as best as possible.
Back to top Go down
imaspaceguy90
Special

Merit : 0

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 9:55 pm

With my car, i took ospho ( 20 bucks a gallon from ace hardware) and i sprayed the entire bottom of my car with it, turned all the rust into a harmless black chemical, then i undercoated it and i ahvnt had a problem. I used the rubberized undercoat from autozone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Undercoating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Undercoating   Undercoating Empty

Back to top Go down

Undercoating
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Exterior-
Jump to: