Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Good Mechanics?

Go down 
+24
charlieRobinson
adam14212
themanwithsauce
RivieraTim
Abaddon
ewolfe0050
Snowdog
Ship
T Riley
sburch23
lyonsperformance
Rivlanta
Steve98
97rivman
Jason
turtleman
TType_Riviera
Jack the R
palermocorey90
deekster_caddy
etosino2009
Andysdorm
nothincame2mind
AA
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

FAQ: Good Mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 5:08 pm

This is in response to Jack the R's post about finding a trusted mechanic. I agree, an honest mechanic is invaluable. Interestingly, I was directed to my mechanic about 10 years ago after going to a Chrysler dealer asking them to fix the ball joints on a '76 Dodge Dart. They had to be laughing, but I was a kid and didn't know better. They must've felt sorry for me...

The first clue my mechanic was a good guy: he asked me to come out to the car and then showed me the problem, then showed me how he was going to fix it. Next time I came back, he found the problem, then showed me how to fix it myself.

Not long after, I took my car in for an inspection. I wanted him to look the front end over for problems, knowing there wasn't anything wrong. He came back and said, "She's perfect except for the driver side stabilizer bar link." I couldn't believe it. I didn't even know it, but the link had cracked and was ready to fall off! Compare this to some places who tell you your steering box is bad when you're there to get a wheel lug repaired.

Over the years, I kept going back. When the manager saw the mods on my Riv, he took me in back and showed me his pride and joy, a green '65 GTO, stock but driven and running perfectly. But the best part was, the original owner of the car had it serviced at their shop for years, and when he died, his wife called and offered them the car at an unbelievable price. Now that's what I call a satisfied customer!

The shop I'm referring to is Wilson's Automotive in Downtown Columbus, OH. If I lived in Chicago or Pittsburgh, I'd still have my cars serviced there. The manager is Steve, and the front end mechanic is Henry. Imo, some of the best in the business.

So, who's the trusted mechanic in your area?

UPDATE: sadly, Wilson's Automotive closed sometime last year. I'm now using Westerville Automotive for any repairs I can't handle at home. Guys are very good at diagnosing problems, and they'll take you back and show you what's going on under the lift. Link: http://www.westervilleautomotive.com/

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 5:21 pm

If I'm in Grand Rapids, I'd take it straight to my uncle's shop. Stockreef's Garage on 28th st. I usually call him if I don't know what is wrong. There is one shop that did a good job with my Jeep and where I took the Riv when I first got it back. The guy who put the Riv back together sure knew his stuff, even though it was a tiny shop in the middle of nowhere. Danny, the mechanic I usually took it to told me about the shop that did my engine and he, in turn told me about the shop that had the Riv. There aren't any that I trust, but once they do a good job, that's where I'll take it.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 5:24 pm

I should also mention INTENSE Racing in Plain City, OH. If it's engine/transmission-related, and I can't do the work, I let them handle it. All good guys working at INTENSE.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 7:01 pm

Mike, of Mike's Mobil. Grafton,MA

His service waiting room boasts millions of certifications. He gives us a fair price and explains what he'd like to see done and what should be done. I was little tight on cash when he fixed the radiator and temp problem in the roaster and let me split up the cost over two weeks. Cool guy.

He's a master at the Miatas. There's got to be at least 10 MX5's in town and he takes care of them all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

Name : Evan
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 7:09 pm

tell u the truth i don't really have one. ive just been going down to the MR.TIRE on my street no more than a minute away just bc its so close. but i still don't really trust them and i always have to have one of my parents come with me so i don't get taken advantage of since im only 17. but i might have to check Wilson's Automotive since im not too far from downtown and i have a couple problems with the riv right now.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 7:17 pm

Me.

I was going to become a mechanic, but there is a huge flaw in being a mechanic: Either you rip people off selling them BS they don't need (a practice I can't stand) or you don't make enough money to survive.

So, turning wrenches remains a hobby, at which I can do well because I make my money elsewhere. I service damn near everything on all my friends and families cars. I can't do tires/alignments, trans rebuilds, or body work but I do everything else.

The only shop I trust around here works mainly on high-end european cars and I can't afford them.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 7:36 pm

myself, any body work i cant do it
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 8:31 pm

Derek, I hope you don't think all mechanics are crooks. I have to believe here is a way to be an honest mechanic and make decent money without ripping people off.

In order for a mechanic to be in business for a while, say 10 or 15 years, I feel they'd have to be doing something decent. I just can't buy that they would be that successful for that long from practicing shady tactics. That kind of stuff catches up to you after a while. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 10:55 pm

I know what my mechanic charged me for about an hour, hour and a half of labor, and it's good money for these parts. I'd be happy making it (but I don't have wife and kids to support).
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 11:04 pm

Im with deekster_caddy on this one..i dont have any sort of training,just experience. i've been turning wrenches on things since i was little...watching my dad. I would then go around on trash day when you were aloud to throw anything you wanted away,and grab lawnmowers people would throw out,fix them an sell them..

I combined my experience,with my welding training, 2yrs at a vocational school,and a lot of experience on the job,from a very good boos/teacher....i cand do everything minus alignmenets,trannys..etc..... unless i had the tools to do so im sure i could do them all....i dont know about you but i dont like anyones sticky fingers touching my car,im very anal!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 11:08 pm

But Rob, you get paid to build cars. I imagine you've had to wear the mechanic hat before. Do you expect the owners of the cars you work on to trust you?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 11:29 pm

my favorite mechanic is me. If i can't do it, I get help but i still do it. It seems to me that in my travels, I've found many mechanics don't know any more than I about what is going on and how to go about fixing it. They are just more motivated as it is their money maker and people tend to get things done, one way or another, when they are motivated.

Now-a-days, our rivieras are pretty damn old to the dealer techs so they don't seem to be too sharp about them. I know a few that admit this. They know what the service manual says and have the benefit of a huge amount of experience with GM technology (usually)
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 am

AA wrote:
But Rob, you get paid to build cars. I imagine you've had to wear the mechanic hat before. Do you expect the owners of the cars you work on to trust you?

I understand,but im not saying anything bad about other mechanics/businesses...thats just my personal feelings about my own vehicles..and to be honest i have never really had any experience with any other people working on my vehicle,except for tires/alignments..my only choice is to trust them because i have no other choice. unless i wanted to get out plumb bobs,and yard sticks an start measuring my castor camber/toe

I'm just all for working on my own, and my hat is off to the honest mechanic out there earning what they can..
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 9:41 am

AA wrote:
Derek, I hope you don't think all mechanics are crooks. I have to believe here is a way to be an honest mechanic and make decent money without ripping people off.

In order for a mechanic to be in business for a while, say 10 or 15 years, I feel they'd have to be doing something decent. I just can't buy that they would be that successful for that long from practicing shady tactics. That kind of stuff catches up to you after a while. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic?

I know that not all mechanics are crooks. I used to work an auto parts store and the 'good' mechanics were also the ones working out of the crappiest garages and/or their own house, and barely scraped by. The big shops were... horrible to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 10:09 am

There are 2 places I like.
One is a small shop right up the hill behind my house. I never really noticed it until I was walking by and noticed all kinds of souped up cars there: subarus, audis, and a cts-v. The owner has a 3000gt TT and a ergular impreza with an sti drivetrain (but no wing and no gaudy scoop on the hood). They charge a fair price and are quite honest.
The other place is a performance shop. They rebuild engines and transmissions for muscle cars and sell high performance parts etc. They don't have a lift and only have room for one car, but the guy knows his stuff. One of the owners is in the army reserve so I like to support their shop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 10:46 am

Names, locations?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 10:59 am

With riviera tattooed on my arm....im the best one i know for my car, not to mention more than 50% of it isnt stock anymore... I plan on having my car until the day I die or until i get a cleaner one with less under body rust in which i swap the motor right in. Theres only so many things that can brake or will need to be fixed...and nothing is rocket science compared to what ive already done....but the reality is that i cant pay someone else to do work that i know how to do...especially since ive got at least $5,000 worth of tools in my garage.... However, there is a dyno shop about 1/2 mile from my house that i will be taking my car to for the dyno tune
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am

Aamco Transmission located at 3197 N High St in Columbus, OH. These guys did a good job on my transmission rebuild, plus they honored their warranty without question when I took the car back with a sticking TC clutch. Replaced the valve body at no charge. Also, I had a broken CV boot clamp and they fixed for next to nothing a month later. Very impressed with their service!

Phone is 614-263-8817, ask for Vijay. He's been in the same location for 43 years. Ron is the trans rebuilder, been at it for 25 years. Mike is the installer... has a Turbo Eagle Talon that will run right beside my Riv! All good, knowledgeable, friendly people.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Steve98

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Atlanta area shop   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Anyone know of a decent mechanic for Rivs in the Atlanta area? Much thanks.

- Steve
Back to top Go down
Rivlanta
Rivlanta

Name : Craig
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Steve...I'm on the NE side and take my 1997 to a place in Dacula called "CHRISTIAN BROS." They're not cheap, but do excellent work and really treat my RIV with a lot of TLC. Here's the website: http://www.cbahm.com. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael

PostSubject: Need good mechanic   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 7:22 am

Anyone from buffalo ny, or close by that will recommend a mechanic that isnt a douch bag rip off artist?
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 am

Ron's Chevron in Roswell, GA. Corner of Crossville Road (Holcomb Bridge Rd) and Crabapple.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 12:59 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
myself, any body work i cant do it

Am i reading this correctly?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 1:35 pm

My father was my best teacher/mechanic. He taught my brother and me alot about fixing cars during the 60's when there were neither emissions nor electronics. He grew up on a farm in KS during the Depression and learned to fix farm equip from his dad.

When my family was young, $$ went to support the wife and 2 sons so I didn't have extra $$ to sink into a garage/dealership mechanic.

Nowadays, I read as much as I can concerning the cars I own to be able to do as much restoration/maintenance on my own as possible with the limited garage space I have. Obviously as I get older it becomes more difficult to climb over/under/around my cars...the body screems at me for awhile after.

One place I do tend to favor is Columbia Buick/Pontiac/GMC in Hanover, MA....but I do keep an eye on them. Their body shop is very reasonable and possess some great talent.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:27 pm

lol
guess the best in my eyes is my dad..Uno
My fingers where allready oily when i was 13! lol
fixed litle things and allways truyed to find out how somethign works...so i asambeled many litle engines...even tho they where not broken..but just wanted to know whats in them and how they work happy

i lerned to be a mechanic in a special scool what was 3 years long and i gratuated it whit car mechanics papers.

after that ha 1 year army..
when got it finished worked as mechanic for Uno...but life isent so as you would want it to be...
my dad's best friend was a boss in a earthbuilding company(construction ot how ever its called in english)

so he asked if i want to truy as a earthbuilder...do works whit heavymachines.
i gived a truy and he was amazed..and asked me to stay...now have in this months midle will be my 2nd full year on this job.
it's fun to drive whti 25ton waighting loaders happy or...whit 3-32ton waighting excavators....my boss even buyed me a brand new excavatro from shop! lol..on way to work he told me to read the manual..but it was in damn finnish and i was not good on it yet lol...when got there he asked me to sit in and start to practice hehe..

but okay...anyways..the carmechanicer part of me has now stayed as hobby...just one page of the book of my life...and this page has been everyday very usefull happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Good Mechanics?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next