Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Good Mechanics?

Go down 
+24
charlieRobinson
adam14212
themanwithsauce
RivieraTim
Abaddon
ewolfe0050
Snowdog
Ship
T Riley
sburch23
lyonsperformance
Rivlanta
Steve98
97rivman
Jason
turtleman
TType_Riviera
Jack the R
palermocorey90
deekster_caddy
etosino2009
Andysdorm
nothincame2mind
AA
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I do most the work myself on the Riv and all the work on the Bronco. The Riv will never see anyone except for Paul over at PRJ Performance http://www.prjperformance.com/ for engine and tune and Dave over at Triple Edge Performance http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/ for trans. Everything else I can do myself except for alignments which go to Raymonds here in Plainfield. Any custom work on either will go to Cozzillino Motorsports just because he does fantastic welding and fab work... he's just really expensive.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Any good guys near Buffalo, NY?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: SouthEastern Michigan mechanic   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey guys. Just wanted to let ya know, I currently work at www.showcasecollisioninc.com

They just expanded a month ago to do mechanical repairs. I am the tech there. I just started 1 month ago....I was an unemployed technician who was victim to mass GM dealer closing. I was previously at NOONAN Pontiac-GMC, and at Jeffrey Buick before that. I'm ASE certified in...

- Engine Performance
- Steering/Suspension
- Electrical/Electrical Systems
- Brakes

...and State Certified in many more.

We just got our hoists up, and recently got a Trans Flush, Fuel Injection/Induction, and Coolant Flush machine(s). <--------I love those things!

We also have great body men and painters, as we do everything from fixin dents all the way to restorations. Those of you on Facebook can search for Showcase Collision and you can find more pics and stuff there.

I'd be glad to help any of you guys out if you ever need. I take pride in my work....every car is my own. Give the shop a call if you ever need anything.

Scott
www.showcasecollisioninc.com
Back to top Go down
RivieraTim
Amateur
RivieraTim

Name : Tim
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Great Atlanta Area Mechanic!   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:34 pm

I have found a great mechanic in the Atlanta area (on Hwy 20 near Cumming, GA). His name is Mike and he was a service manager at Buick for many years when these cars were new. Mike has helped me with my '94 Roadmaster Wagon and my recently purchased '97 Riviera and knows what these cars are all about and how they operate. His work quality is excellent, although he stays busy and may need to keep your car for a few days to get what you need done. His assistant, Andrew, has been with him a long time and knows these cars well too. If you need a good mechanic in the Atlanta area, call Mike at Total Automotive, Inc. at 770-844-7164. Their address is: 4815 Canton Hwy, Cumming, GA 30040. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 am

2 things - A plug for my dad real quick. He's a tech down at Hamilton Chevrolet on Van Dyke and 14 mile road in Warren MI. ASE Master tech specializing in brakes and I believe heavy engine and trans.

And Abbadon, when did you work at noonan? Did you ever meet a guy named Bill while you worked there? 6'2", red hair, mustache, glasses?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 am

themanwithsauce wrote:
2 things - A plug for my dad real quick. He's a tech down at Hamilton Chevrolet on Van Dyke and 14 mile road in Warren MI. ASE Master tech specializing in brakes and I believe heavy engine and trans.

And Abbadon, when did you work at noonan? Did you ever meet a guy named Bill while you worked there? 6'2", red hair, mustache, glasses?

LOL that's funny you ask that. We were talkin about him over the weekend. No, he was gone when I got there, but I still hang out with techs that used to work there, and his name came up. I'm actually tryin to work something out right now to go work at Somerset Buick-GMC. Noonan's old Service Manager (Steve) is the manager over there now...actually spoke with him this morning. There's like 7 people from Noonan there now....

FYI, I worked at Noonan from 2006 until closing day in 2008.
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeah, he jumped ship to Midas for a few years to try and become a manager but the money was no good and the techs were...umm....let's be kind and say unfit to do much more than oil changes (and even then, I've seen plenty of them screw it up or take an hour to do a 10 minute change on a taurus....).

Stay away from most midas shops. I've yet to see one that did good work.

Oh and a plug for the belle tire center at 23 mile road and van dyke in SHelby Twp. MI. THey checked over my tires and told me which ones had flat spots and did what they could to rotate and balance everything for free. I'm going back in the fall to put on new tires for winter. (I could handle the bad tires for occasional use at school.....not for michigan winters)
Back to top Go down
adam14212
Amateur
adam14212

Name : Adam R
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:26 pm

for the buffalo area i just took my riv to have some timing work done (interrupter magnet fell off) went to a place called gilliens expert auto on Broadway near Alden NY. so far i am impressed they have a nice size shop and the guys seem like they love what they do and price wasn't bad so far i am quoted at about 600 for the timing chain replacement they even allowed me to supply the parts so no crazy markup to deal with.... not many places do that anymore
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Northwest Ohio Mechanics, Please introduce me to a good one!   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Hey guys, I've seen that quite a few members are from NW Ohio or southern Michigan. Any thing south of Ann Arbor is southern Michigan to me! Anyways, do you guys have a go to mechanic you take your Rivieras to? Please introduce me! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 3:23 am

Does anyone know any rock stars (mechanics) in NW Ohio? I just want to make friends with someone who I can trust and take my Riviera to for all her needs. I can't do much work myself without tools or a place to even work!

Seems like all the pros are in Columbus.. Not too far away and it would be cool to check out Intense's shop!
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

Name : noah rose
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Anybody from the dc md or va area got any good mechanics they want to share???????
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:43 pm

bump

Anyone know a good doctor around the Toledo Ohio area?
Looking for a 3800 pro.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but as of this coming Monday, I'll be back at the dealer! yay I'll be working for Somerset Buick-GMC in Troy. I've been waiting to get back to the dealer for 2 years!!!!
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but as of this coming Monday, I'll be back at the dealer! yay I'll be working for Somerset Buick-GMC in Troy. I've been waiting to get back to the dealer for 2 years!!!!

Congrats!!!

Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 am

I recently used a semi-retired technician named Bill Scheel for my last engine rebuild. Bill has 35+ years experience, and specializes in GM 90º V-6 & V-8 engines. His garage is located in Utica, MI, just north of Detroit. See Bill's engines and information HERE.

I found Bill through one of our members, Charlie Robinson of Toledo, OH. Very good recommendation! Bill and his sons know their way through a 3800 V-6 engine so well that they had mine completely rebuilt and looking like brand new in only 3 business days. What I like about Bill: he builds engines that see actual racing on track - that's who I want rebuilding my engine. His work is protected by a 12 mo/12k mile warranty.

Before:

FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 Block1

FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 Block2

After:

FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 NewENG2

FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 NewENG4

Engine runs great, like a new car. Great job, Bill!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Mattwa
Enthusiast

Name : Matt

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:16 am

A place I highly recommend is White Wheel, near Cleveland, Ohio. They have been there, family owned and operated since the 1950's I believe. Mainly they are a suspension and alignment place, but I'm sure they can do nearly anything mechanical related for you. I have had nothing but excellent service with them, and while they are more expensive then other shops on average, it is more then worth it. They explain to you what was done, why it was done, and how it was done. Awesome place.
http://www.whitewheel.com/

I also recommend Ron's Transmissions in Elyria, Ohio. Great place for transmission service or general maintenance as well. Great place to rebuild the 4T65e-HD if your ever blows up in your Riv.
(their website doesn't seem to be working right now, but I'll post the link anyway)
http://www.ronstransmission.com

And that looks great AA! I'll keep him in mind if I ever need to have a 3800 rebuilt. for me. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to do, but how much did rebuilding that run you and what did they do exactly?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 am

Matt, all the info on the rebuild can be found here, including the price and what was done to the engine:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9354p60-write-up-3800-series-ii-sc-engine-removal-installation

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:54 am

Aaron, that block looks amazing. Congratulations! And nice work, Bill!
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:44 pm

Okay, lawsuits aside, and I think they're avoidable anyway, if we have an endorsement list for good mechanics, surely as there is ying & yang, good & evil, true & false, man & woman?, etc., we need a mechanic poo list.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:59 pm

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Mechanics?   FAQ: Good Mechanics? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Good Mechanics?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2