Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

seat memory & power mirrors not working

Go down 
+9
manofmany
LARRY70GS
deekster_caddy
Rickw
robotennis61
albertj
BMD
robertwolf86
akh
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Well, the weather is better and I thought I would chase down my mirror inop. problem. After looking just about everywhere else, I decide to look inside the door jamb insulator...
mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 385608867
I peeled it back and low and behold, one wire is completely severed and others are knicked!!!!
mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 385608864

Jeeez, shoulda looked there in the first place. Anyway, my question is, how the heck do you do repairs in there? The rubber boot is pretty stiff and it wants to snap back constantly, and by the looks of it I will need to do a few repairs. Anyone been here before?

Last edited by BMD on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Replace the wire by soldering and using heat shrink tubing on all connector's.
It will probably be best to cut the wires, one at a time, in the kick panel and inside the door. And as I said solder and heat shrink. Eliminating the brittle wires in the boot where they are always flexing and can break again.
Another good thing to do is, if you are using wire of a different color make sure you use some kind of tape, maybe masking Tape and a ball point pen is OK, that you can write on and mark it what the original color of the wire was and what system it is for, i.e. Cruise Control, or mirror moter, etc.
It will be much easier to solder in the cabin (cockpit, kick panel) and inside the door than trying to replace brittle wire inside the rubber boot.
Start with all new wire and make sure you get a good heatshrink on them and they will last long time if done correctly.
If you don't have soldering skills or heat shrink, recruit someone that does, because if you just splice and twist wires and then use electrical tape you will chasing gremlins for ever.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Success!!!!!!!! joy I held back the rubber boot with a stiff cardboard tube from old wrapping paper and wedged it into the doorjamb. We (me and my dad) then cut the wires (3) and soldered in new wire (same color) wink . Didn't have heat shrink on hand, so we tightly wrapped it with electrical tape. I wish I did have heat shrink on hand because I've used it before and works great and it would have looked nicer too. Although with all the other wires so close together, I would be afraid to aim a heat source at all of 'em. I am so glad to have my mirrors working again, especially since replacing my discolored Riv mirror with a nice clean Aurora mirror. Anyway, thanks to everyone’s help and advice on the thread.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 1:25 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
I also have this problem. I have checked all the fuses and thermal breakers, as well as the wiring under the seat. All appear normal. Both my seats work, but the mirrors do not operate. The passenger side mirror does tilt down in reverse. I have a FSM, and have started to troubleshoot the problem. On the first step, I pulled apart the mirror switch connecter, and tested for 12 volts at terminal A (circuit 40 ORG) to ground. There was no power there at all. I probably have a break in that wire, so I will start my search at the door jamb, and attempt to follow the wire from there. I was thinking of running a jumper wire directly from the battery to the back side of the switch connector to verify that is my problem.

Finally got around to fixing this. The problem was indeed a broken wire inside the flexible rubber channel at the front of the door. The power wire to the mirror switch (orange) had broken. Soldered in a replacement. Everything works including the Exit button and memory controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Which fuse are power mirrors and passenger tmp control on?   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Can't seem to locate either in the owners manual. The passenger temp control hasn't worked since I've owned the car but I'd like to see if it's a fuse.

Also, the power mirrors / memory settings have recently stopped working.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 pm

It's probably the memory computer (under drivers seat) if you can't find a blown fuse by looking in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash (have to open the door to find it). Dont' feel bad, not an uncommon issue, and may be as simple as a beat connector. If you have or have had anything under the drivers seat, that could be the problem. Have a look under there. No good can come of having anything loose bounce around among all that wiring.

While you are down there, check the connectors.

You may have to unbolt the seat to get at the stuff well (easy, only 2 nuts... 3 if you count the driver)

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Excellent, thank you.

I'm assuming that doesn't control operation for the mirrors / passenger temp control though?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:37 pm

As for the Passenger Heater Control, it's IGN 3 fuse (10A) in the IP fuse panel.

The mirrors are I/P 1 fuse (10A) in the right side fuse block under the rear seat.

Check those fuses and let us know what you find. Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Both fuses were good.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 8:11 pm

manofmany wrote:
Both fuses were good.

All you need for a preliminary look at the memory computer's connectors is a flashlight...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 8:17 pm

When my mirrors stopped working, it was a single broken wire in the flexible rubber cover when you open the door. Just pull it back and have a look. In my case it was the orange power wire, split in 2 pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 9:12 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
When my mirrors stopped working, it was a single broken wire in the flexible rubber cover when you open the door.  Just pull it back and have a look.  In my case it was the orange power wire, split in 2 pieces.

This makes sense, although the memory's not working either.  Given age of the car and the problem that was never fixed, could be multiple failures - is definitely fixable but will be problem by problem

- that pesky orange wire has to be checked
- a junkyard memory module box would help, to swap boxes
- must have a voltmeter to test between fuses and the switches for the components that are not working (quick way to isolate where to look in harness for broken wires

OK, here we go.  What will you check first?

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spyllyngh)
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 10:33 pm

The mirrors stopped working prior to the memory seats. Sorry for not clarifying. Upon initial inspection the plugs and wires looked to be in good condition. I'm not overly concerned but fortunately I found a local donor vehicle which is almost complete with the same interior. I'll grab the memory box next time I'm at the yard.

I don't have a voltmeter but between all the cars I've acquired and issues I've had, I think I need to pick one up. Been dealing with a Jeep WJ 4.7 that my fiance overheated and at the very least, destroyed the head gasket / heads. smile

I'd still really like to get the passenger temp control working or atleast have it light up at night.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
When my mirrors stopped working, it was a single broken wire in the flexible rubber cover when you open the door. Just pull it back and have a look. In my case it was the orange power wire, split in 2 pieces.
thumbsup

Yeah, that Orange wire is what powers the switch. I'd have to say it's that, or the switch crapped out. I'd normally say check the ground too, but it shares a ground with other components.

It's also possible that the Passenger Climate Control has the same problem (broken power wire). There is a Brown wire that passes through the A-pillar into the door that powers the controller. If you're going to disassemble and check these, please don't confuse Brown for Tan, as the Tan wire is the Passenger Temp Control ground, which goes to the HVAC programmer.

Both the Orange and Brown wires mentioned come directly from those fuses.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Just pulled the boot back and spotted a broken orange wire. Going to see if I can fix it.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Well it turns out there were 2 broken wires at the driver door. A red wire and an orange wire. Fixed both of them and got my mirrors, memory seat, AND the passenger temp control fixed.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Good to hear man!. Glad it was something simple that cost really nothing but a lil time.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 9:59 pm

manofmany wrote:
Well it turns out there were 2 broken wires at the driver door. A red wire and an orange wire. Fixed both of them and got my mirrors, memory seat, AND the passenger temp control fixed.

Glad I was wrong this time

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:21 am

Wow, I can't believe the wires in the driver's door affect the passenger Comfort Control...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 am

Eldo wrote:
Wow, I can't believe the wires in the driver's door affect the passenger Comfort Control...

I was wondering the same thing. As I posted above, the power wire for the Pass Climate Control is brown and goes through the passenger door. Weird.....
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: power seat and mirror control box.   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 11:49 am

I have been experiencing an intermittent problem with my power driver seat and mirrors.
here are the symptoms:

• when unlocking the doors with key fob the mirrors and seat would move to an odd position, different every time.
    -tried re syncing the fob and setting memory 1 & 2 to the same.

• sometimes i would go to readjust the mirrors and seat and could not get anything to move. I hear a rapid clicking sound coming from under the driver seat.

• sometimes everything works as it should

i have checked every fuse. both I/P box and under rear seat. narrowed the clicking sound to the black box on the floorboard under the driver seat.

Right now i have it half way out and plan on opening it up to look for corrosion or a half broken solder.
What is that box called and are they still available? Is there a relay in there that is going bad or is there a relay somewhere else?

TIA,
Matthew

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:09 pm

here is a pic inside the box. any suggestions? of course its working fine right now bonk tomorrow may be a different story.
mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 Mail_g10

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 10:32 pm

If it started working right when you took the box apart, consider looking for a broken wire or a broken solder trace or a problem in one of those spade connectors on the board... you may have to feel along the plastic insulation to find any break, check especially around places where the wire is strained or bent.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Not speaking from experience here, but maybe the motor is on its way out? Maybe have it removed and tested?, just a thought. Otherwise, alberts' suggestion sounds like the right way to tackle this. Disconnect the board and bring it a bench and spray some electrical cleaner as well. Wish I could be of more help Matthew.
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 11:06 pm

I have seats out of car noticed the mirrors are not working think seat wires must be connected?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

seat memory & power mirrors not working
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next