Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues

Go down 
+19
albertj
bigdave
L67
sburch23
Bowersk
RhinoFLA
99Rivman
TType_Riviera
oldsman105
BigTexKahuna
98riv
Jason
deekster_caddy
pwmin
Mr.Riviera
nothincame2mind
AA
T Riley
urbsnspices
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2007 10:31 pm

how's it running?
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 8:39 am

RhinoFLA wrote:
how's it running?

Short answer: Freakin Awesome!
During a short cruise I chirped the wheels from a roll. afraid

Long Answer: Car has a hard start problem, and I am trying to track down the reason. One squirt of starting fluid and it roars to life. With some help I have narrowed it down to:
1. Water in gas: Will try sea-foam and more fresh gas
2. Walbro Fuel pump, this pump has a bad rep: $$$= Racetronics pump
3. 97 riv PCM cant accomodate, higher compression and XP cam=retune

Other problem which is a little scary, after first oil change there seemed to be a little bit of coolant in the oil. I have changed the oil 2x since the install. I am going to change again this week. If the oil isnt clean, I am going to first replace the front cover gasket and run it again. I installed the front cover gasket dry and this is how GM does it. However many folks say that you need to copper spray these for a good seal. I ordered a new gasket, which should be here this week. If this isnt it, then it is the head gaskets, or the LIM gaskets.

Many times even a little coolant in the oil = Death in these engines. sad Maybe I will get lucky, because it is a new engine and I havent really driven it. I will be pretty sad and embarassed if I croak this new engine. On the other hand I have never done anything like this before. I just hope this doesnt end up being an expensive learning experience.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 12:47 pm

scary indeed bro.. hopefully it's just a gasket.. does the l32 pull harder then the l67? i wanna see some 1/4's!
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 1:55 pm

RhinoFLA wrote:
scary indeed bro.. hopefully it's just a gasket.. does the l32 pull harder then the l67? i wanna see some 1/4's!

I have not done any launches or full on WOT runs. The new engine still needs some break in miles. Also I dont want to beat on it, till I am sure everything is good gasket wise. It only has about 8 miles on the new engine, and about 30 mins of idleing at 1-2k.

That being said, I have goosed it a little. You know..to make sure the rings are sealing. lol Right now it is running a 3.4 pulley and a conservative 5* of advance. And yeah it pulls like a mofo when the boost hits, I usually let off before the down shift.

Ill tell you one thing, I forgot what a torquey car feels like. thumbsup Helps remind me why Im built up this thing in the first place.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Quote :
You know..to make sure the rings are sealing

i smell an excuse razz

how much did u end up paying for that L32
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2007 8:40 am

RhinoFLA wrote:
Quote :
You know..to make sure the rings are sealing

i smell an excuse razz

how much did u end up paying for that L32

I got a great deal on it. The engine wholesaler was trying to sell it as an L67 'replacement' and it is according to GM. I told the engine seller that it was an L32 and his price was way low. He said it was likely being sold as an L67 replacement because there were 20X more cars that used an L67 then the L32 and that the price was their typical price for new short block. Anyway, after selling some of the parts that I didnt need it ended up costing around 1900.

This is what low low miles L67s go for, so after talking to the wholesaler a few times I went for it.
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2007 11:11 am

SOLVED the hard start problem! It turned out being the PCV valve. I pulled it and it was a tad gummed up from oil and other vapor. It could also have been faulty from sitting a few years. Anyway swapped it out and it fired up fine.

Changed the oil again, and ran some seafoam to further 'dry out' the oil pan ect. Took the car out twice for some further break in.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Bump... I was curious to see how the car was running.
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 10:51 am

oldsman105 wrote:

The car runs good. I ended up using a dose of one of those coolant system sealing crap. I really didnt want to put any gunk into the coolant system. But from asking around, it seemed like good insurance.

In Aug. I moved again, so I am waiting to get the car re-registered. I have only put 100 miles on the new engine, so I am dying to get the car legal and back on the road. banana I REALLY need to buy a tuning tool before I do ANYTHING. It should be able to run a 3.0 pulley, but I cant take any chances. Wish I knew a local guy with a tuner, that would be a big help. freak

Right now I am working on installing gauges, and getting the interior and grill, put back together.

Ill have some new times come april, or when ever the track opens up around here.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 11:51 am

urbsnspices wrote:
oldsman105 wrote:

The car runs good. I ended up using a dose of one of those coolant system sealing crap. I really didnt want to put any gunk into the coolant system. But from asking around, it seemed like good insurance.

In Aug. I moved again, so I am waiting to get the car re-registered. I have only put 100 miles on the new engine, so I am dying to get the car legal and back on the road. banana I REALLY need to buy a tuning tool before I do ANYTHING. It should be able to run a 3.0 pulley, but I cant take any chances. Wish I knew a local guy with a tuner, that would be a big help. freak

Right now I am working on installing gauges, and getting the interior and grill, put back together.

Ill have some new times come april, or when ever the track opens up around here.

How far are you ? jesus
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 am

oldsman105 wrote:
How far are you ? jesus

My job took me back to Chicagoland. jump Moving around a lot really kills this hobby. Anyway, I will be getting an HPtuner once I sell my Blue riv.

The Riv should be back on the road this summer.
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

Name : Bowers
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Anyone ever watch a good movie and it just end with no warning?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/kellybowers79
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Swap L32 for L67   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Still haven't decided how to proceed with my blown head gasket on high mileage Riv for a couple of reasons.

I have the 97' to drive for another 2 weeks
I have been unemployed (but that will change in a week.)

Options
1-Replace Head Gasket-$1500
2-Replace Engine with GM Parts Reman-$4500 parts and labor

Thought of another option
3-Find a used L32 and swap it in. I know it has an electronic throttle and Gen V M90.
Besides just finding one, how practical would this be?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 7:27 pm

An L32 swap is a great option. You'll need a different throttle body to make it work, many have done this.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:17 pm

By different TB, you mean different from what is on the L32? Would a N* work?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:44 pm

sburch23 wrote:
By different TB, you mean different from what is on the L32? Would a N* work?

Yup, its your best option.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Good news. It was a LIM gasket, not Head gasket. Cost was $600. If I could have done it myself, it would have been less.

Bad news. I don't get to get a L32!
More Bad news. I shared the Good news with my wife who has immediately laid claim to the $900 difference that I had been preparing her for. We have been married for 26 years and I still haven't learned.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Thats great news, and $600 isn't a bad price to have LIM done. Also dont forget ,when the wife is happy, everyone is happy!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm

sburch23 wrote:
Good news. It was a LIM gasket, not Head gasket. Cost was $600. If I could have done it myself, it would have been less.

Bad news. I don't get to get a L32!
More Bad news. I shared the Good news with my wife who has immediately laid claim to the $900 difference that I had been preparing her for. We have been married for 26 years and I still haven't learned.

AAAAAh, that $900 is just this semester's tuition in the School of Knocks.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Very funny. At least She Who Must Be Obeyed is allowing me two extra rounds of Golf.
Back to top Go down
hoffmbd1
Special

Name : Brad H
Merit : 0

PostSubject: L67 to L32 Swap   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Has anyone done a L67 to L32 Swap? My 96 Riv dropped a valve and smoked the L67. I have a L32 located with a new lower end. Are all the sensors in the same location and what parts do I need to swap from the L67 to the L32?
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Man this guy is a jerk. All this and then he disappears. WTF?!?

wink 
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 9:56 pm

6 years later - Urbs lives!!!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 11:20 pm

AA wrote:
6 years later - Urbs lives!!!

Yes, I suppose I do. And so does the Rivi!

In one way or another the Rivi has been in storage all this time! This was the first car I ever bought, and only a car guy, or more specifically a Rivi Car Guy would under stand the patience I have had holding on to this car. It has been two jobs and two homes but a month ago the Rivi finally came home. I almost registered again on the forum, forgetting that I was already a member. tongue  It was fun reading through this thread. I kept thinking, wow, I did all that?!? Impressive past self! Thanks. You're welcome.

Anyway the real update is this. After about 50 miles of 'break in" on the new engine. One of the comp cam springs broke. If anyone has an excellent memory, there was a run of 6-9 months(5 years ago) that Comp springs had serious quality problems. Luckily the broken spring bound up on it self and caused no damage. In the process of swapping the spring, I ended up dropping a the valvce into the cly. Well with my brothers patience and my help we managed to pull it back up. 50 Miles later and it basically went back into storage.

Fast forward to today. I swapped in a freshly charged battery and, holy cow it started right up! It never leaked a drop of anything this whole time. I took it around the block and all seemed good. Man I missed the lope of the cam and that SC whine!

I needs an interior and exterior detailing. And I am having a friend who owns a shop check over and replace some of the more sketchy looking brake lines...

Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 am

Holy shit! Welcome back Raoul!
same thing happened to me with the compcams springs. sucks very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues   Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: L32 (Series III SC) Install/swap, the saga continues
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next