Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Simple but cool

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

Simple but cool Empty
PostSubject: Simple but cool   Simple but cool EmptySat Feb 10, 2007 12:31 pm

While cleaning out my car a few summers ago I got to thinking what can I do to make this interior not so blah. At that point of thought I was cleaning the steering wheel and the little buick logo caught my eye. Hmmm.

I made a custom little accent to my steeringwheel, the logo is now silver and looks like an emblem.

I'll post a pic later

the before:
Simple but cool 671386_45_full

This is what I did:

I went to the craft store and bought a paint pen, make sure it's a paint pen sharpies don't do the trick. Buy silver.

Caution, when using paint pens definitly test it on thick paper or newspaper. When you open one for the first time the white felt tip is clean, you need to press the paint pen into the paper a few times retracting the felt tip. Once you see silver your ready to go. It is paint and acts like paint so test your skills first on paper, you might find that you accidentally retract the tip and release a glob of the stuff.

Once you think you got a handle on it your ready to go. Get in your car and locate the small logo pressed into the horn of your steering wheel. Hopefully all your testing hasn't dulled the sharp tip of the felt cause this is tricky and you want it to be perfect. Carefully run the felt tip over the raised logo, the paint will adhere and you got it.

For God sakes don't touch it, don't even rub up against it till it's good and dry and ta-da a small little custom touch to your Riv. I looks great on my green leather interior not sure how it would look on the cream.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Simple but cool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple but cool   Simple but cool EmptyMon Feb 19, 2007 2:24 pm

OK, I suck at this post wink Sorry for the wait here's the pics

Simple but cool 671386_97_full

Simple but cool 671386_98_full

and for those who think I have blue interior here a pic of the wheel in direct sunlight...IT BURNS!!! :flames:

Simple but cool 671386_99_full
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Simple but cool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple but cool   Simple but cool EmptyMon Feb 19, 2007 3:43 pm

very crafty wink but i wish we didnt have the buick logo there. people see it and think, oh its just a buick. NO, it's a Riviera by buick it was a flagship, like the corvette is in a class of its own and doesnt wear the bowtie.
but you are right it does add some color and style to the suspect green interior. tho it would be almost unnoticalbe on my grey int. maybe black acents...
IMO a light wood kit would really add some life if thats what you are looking for. and so would a classy aftermarket cd player.

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Simple but cool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple but cool   Simple but cool EmptyMon Feb 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Looks good, Andy! Maybe if I get some time I'll try the "fill in the tri-shield with a matching color vinyl putty" mod!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Simple but cool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple but cool   Simple but cool EmptyMon Feb 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
very crafty wink but i wish we didnt have the buick logo there. people see it and think, oh its just a buick. NO, it's a Riviera by buick it was a flagship, like the corvette is in a class of its own and doesnt wear the bowtie.
but you are right it does add some color and style to the suspect green interior. tho it would be almost unnoticalbe on my grey int. maybe black acents...
IMO a light wood kit would really add some life if thats what you are looking for. and so would a classy aftermarket cd player.

I'd love to grab a nice looking bright blond wood kit (almost sounds like an oxymoron, bright blond) lol

Please, whatever you do, do not use a Sharpie to do the accent :o Sharpies aren't as good as they lead you to believe. On skin they only last 6 days (as seen on G4's Brainiac). And that weird gold/purple reflection that comes off of it is a giveaway. Go with paint pens, they should have black
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Simple but cool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple but cool   Simple but cool EmptyMon Feb 19, 2007 7:37 pm

AA wrote:
Looks good, Andy! Maybe if I get some time I'll try the "fill in the tri-shield with a matching color vinyl putty" mod!

That would be really cool, I would assume you'd fill in the sections and then do the paint-pen techinique to go over any rouge putty that sticks to the shield itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Simple but cool Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple but cool   Simple but cool Empty

Back to top Go down

Simple but cool
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: