Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)

Go down 
+42
zip_tie
th3fr4nchi5e
RidzRiv
DaveE_95Riv
MFFDVR
LT1Squirrel
2000ws6transam
96riv
LARRY70GS
rk0ehn
98riv
charlieRobinson
Sweepspear
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
rivman96
GMFreak8
Vista Cruiser
Eldo
robotennis61
99Rivman
Rickw
1998 Riv
Natesriv
curious riv
T Riley
EASHER
turtleman
oldsman105
dreww
arttu80
BillBoost37
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
albertj
Mr.Riviera
mr.19982tone
RhinoFLA
TonySmooth89
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 5:52 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
Ok, thanks. I'm gonna try that test when I get home tonight.

So, what's the verdict.? Do you need a new one or not.???
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Eldo wrote:
No, he posted a non-Riv photo... (Bad boy! boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 Twak )

Notice the 'wrong' parts mounted to the passenger-side strut-tower?

OMG I can't believe I missed that. Fuse Box, engine mounts, the brace from the core to strut tower, the coolant reservoir.....I deserve that stick mad
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Boost Control Solenoid availability - 10/2010   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Aaron, I'll apologize in advance: I'm sure there's a better place to put this, especially after our latest PM's, but I just can't decide today... confused

Anyway, here is my latest experience for folks who need a new BBV BCS - can't have enough three-letter-acronyms can we? happy

While GMPartsDirect.com has currently suspended their online catalog because of parts that were
listed but obsolete, if you enter 1997244 into the part number field, you should find this valve...
I've enclosed 2 photos to show both the unit itself, and yet another term that GM used to describe it,
besides the ones that AA already listed in his parts thread. headbutt

Here is the GM parts tag, showing the number and the description as a "Supercharger Wastegate Valve":
boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 5065527977_701c7dea03

And here is the actual part called an "Evap Solenoid", including the correct S2 bracket and a fresh breather-filter:
boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 5066139976_74a51260ec

For once, the Delco number and the GM number are the same, except for the leading zero, and the total cost with shipping & handling was $38...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Eldo wrote:
No, he posted a non-Riv photo... (Bad boy! boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 Twak )

Notice the 'wrong' parts mounted to the passenger-side strut-tower?

OMG I can't believe I missed that. Fuse Box, engine mounts, the brace from the core to strut tower, the coolant reservoir.....I deserve that stick mad

Actually, the 'stick' was for his posting of the non-Riv...
If I was going to criticize you, I would have used a lecture or a dunce

(I guess it's a moot point now... jump )
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Ya sorry for the non Riv pic. It was what I had at the moment. I do need a new one. It's leaking a bunch of air out of the bottom of it. Found one on ZZPerformance for 40 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 2:44 am

J. Chris Davis wrote:
I do need a new one. It's leaking a bunch of air out of the bottom of it. Found one on ZZPerformance for 40 bucks.
Does the one from ZZP fit other cars.?
Does it have the vacuum ports facing in the correct position.?
Etc, Etc............
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 2:46 am

As far as I know it's the right one. I'll find out for sure when I get it.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Perhaps the vacuum ports don't interfere with anything, because they're selling the same part for Series II and Series III... S3 has a Gen V, right?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Well I'm at work and got the valve in the mail here. It looks like the correct one. It is missing the little arm with the bolt threads on it for that one part to mount to. I'll find out more when I get home tonight to work on the car.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Ok the ZZP Bypass Valve is not the right one. The top vacuum port is in the wrong place and it is missing the part of the bracket for a vacuum solonoid.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 12:05 am

bummer. that # doesnt show anymore
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: No boost and EVAP codes...solved!   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:28 pm

I got a CEL this afternoon. Car was running strong this morning but later in the day it felt like it lost some TQ and HP.
Finally the CEL came on and i figured it would lead to something useful and explain the power loss.
P1655 and P1441 which from what i have been reading are both EVAP codes.
I pulled the charcoal canister from the rear driver fender and it feels pretty heavy. i turn it over and a orangeish oil substance drips out from where the vac line goes. Smells like fuel but feels like oil.
I am going to pull the line off the solenoid/purge valve and try to blow air through it to see if the line is clogged because im guessing this isnt normal.

Any other suggestions?

TIA
Matthew

Last edited by Mr.Riviera on Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:51 pm

Looks like your covering all the bases. The only thing I can thing of is if its the purge solenoid valve itself. Thats what it was when I got that code. By the way, was it tuff getting those plastic fuel lines off the canister. I am afraid to remove mine as they look so brittle. How did you do it?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:02 pm

my lines were in pretty good condition. they dont push on very far and i left them in the top of the canister, just removed the bottom and the inside.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:38 am

Don't have much time, I'll elaborate later.......replace your Purge Solenoid.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:43 am

Abaddon wrote:
Don't have much time, I'll elaborate later.......replace your Purge Solenoid.

Abaddon to the rescue! Up Up and Away!

Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:13 am

found out why it feels so sluggish now.
i am only making 4.3lbs of boost! WTF?
are these problems related?
i cleared the evap code and its hasnt come back on.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:15 am

according to another thread "QDM 2 is the BCS/Evap/TCC" so do i need a new pcm? or just a bcs and evap?

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:32 pm

On your '96....

P1655 EVAP Purge Control Circuit
P1441 EVAP System Flow during non-purge

When P1655 is accompanied with P1441, 90% of the time the Purge valve is stuck open and allowing fuel vapors to just flow into the T/B and the S/C when not commanded to do so.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm

OK thanks Scott. I will swap out my BCS and purge vlave this weekend with some working solenoids from a friends regal.

So are my 2 issues non related? or did the failing purge solenoid cause the BCS to fail due to carbon and fuel entering the TB?

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Np.....

I don't think the problems are related, just a mere coincidence. Your Purge Solenoid would have to be letting the vapors by for a long time for that to happen.....but then again, fuel is an excellent cleaner wink
Even If that were the case, the P1441 would've set long ago. Purge valves can get stuck, and still work electrically (GM 4.8L happens ALL the time), but will set P1441 (in the Rivs case) as soon as the PCM runs it's EVAP test. I would think all the carbon/soot buildup on the BCS is more oil/blowby related from the PCV system than anything else. Do you have another breather built into the oil cap? I drilled a hole in mine and glued a Crankcase Filter inside of it just so the PCV can keep up with all the boost..... twisted
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 4:26 pm

yes i am running a breather. and after the I/C install my PCV valve is doing nothing...still need to pull it out i guess.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
yes i am running a breather. and after the I/C install my PCV valve is doing nothing...still need to pull it out i guess.

ah yes.....I can never remember what everyone has done to their ride dunce

lmao
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySun May 22, 2011 5:34 pm

So i swapped my BCS with one from another riv and i am still only hitting a max of 4.5lbs boost. WTF!?!

What else could cause a serious boost loss? i dont have a vac leak either.
EVAP codes have to be related somehow.

I am not having any TCC problems but i find it weird that the EVAP and BCS are both operated off the same quad driver.
Any way to replace that or test it?

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 EmptySun May 22, 2011 7:55 pm

anyone?

Is the quad driver part of the PCM or something separate i can check?
All the fuses un the I/P and under the seat check out with an ohm meter.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   boost bypass actuator - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)
Page 6 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next