Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

home made sc oil

Go down 
+18
1998 Riv
manofmany
Rickw
T Riley
6spd
albertj
BillBoost37
deekster_caddy
dennycrane
scoopy03
palermocorey90
TonySmooth89
harofreak00
97rivman
AA
robotennis61
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

home made sc oil - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 9:07 am

Guys don't forget he's got a '95 and M62, and the oil spec is different than the M90.

Special Oils are designed for special applications all the time. Different weights are called for based on different clearances and tolerances, how much metal is expected to expand when it gets hot, etc etc. What kind of 1000 hp s/c is your friend running? Not an M62 or M90, right? It calls for a different oil too.

Some manual transmissions use ATF for their gear oil. It all depends how the thing was designed.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:06 am

Quote :
i bought the gm stuff,added it,smelled it,and it made the s/c noisy
Are you serious? I can't see how this is possible unless your blower has a problem. Mine didn't get any louder using GM oil.

About the only reason I can think of to use an alternative SC oil would be in the case that your blower was low on oil and you couldn't get the recommended GM product soon enough.

Being that these blowers are practically indestructible anyways, we really can't say which type of fluid works best just by pouring something in and saying "it works". Maybe it lubricates, but how do we know it works best? By the sound? By the smell? By our opinion? Has anyone thought about the possibility that the function of this oil could be beyond lubrication, and maybe it has coolant properties as well?

The only sure way would be to bench test the blower and spit out some numbers that show which oil performed the best over millions of revolutions - and I'm sure Eaton, Magnuson, and GM have all tried this, and they all suggest the oil in that little blue bottle. Even the 3800 V6 performance vendors, who would surely sell their own oil blend with mark up, they still recommend the GM stuff. I'm not a chemist, but that whale fat is in there for a reason - or it wouldn't be there. The recommended change interval is what, 80k miles? Good lord, what more can we ask for?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:08 am

robotennis61 wrote:
that might be true rw. the stock oil was thin to say the least. this stuff holds its viscosity pretty well. wish i could remember the place in cali that i bought my s/c pully from? but these guys have been in business for years and when i mentioned gm s/c oil they dont use it. sed they only use theire stuff. for rebuilds and anything else that comes in theire shop. i trust the guy. and so far so good..........

I can understand a shop, that goes thru a LOT of SC fluid doing rebuilds, doing this to save a fair amount of cash simply due to the volume they go thru. I'm sure it adds up.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am

i have to admit i filled up my m90 with 5w30 full syn a week or so ago because i was out of gm stuff and really low on oil.(have a leak)
i plan on repairing the leak in a few weeks when i get the new P&P blower, but until then i'm going to keep filling it with the cheaper 5w30. i will inspect the internals when i have it all apart and report back, but i dont expect to see anything showing the wrong oil was used, especially in only a months time and <500 miles.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
i have to admit i filled up my m90 with 5w30 full syn a week or so ago because i was out of gm stuff and really low on oil.(have a leak)
i plan on repairing the leak in a few weeks when i get the new P&P blower, but until then i'm going to keep filling it with the cheaper 5w30. i will inspect the internals when i have it all apart and report back, but i dont expect to see anything showing the wrong oil was used, especially in only a months time and <500 miles.

I'm sure over a couple of weeks you probably won't notice anything. More important to keep it full, but in the long run you want the right kind of oil.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 5:30 pm

AA wrote:

I'm not a chemist, but that whale fat is in there for a reason - or it wouldn't be there. The recommended change interval is what, 80k miles? Good lord, what more can we ask for?

You know, it's funny how sometimes we always dismiss the factory, like when it comes to 7500-mile LOF's, and other times we absolutely assume their rectitude and veracity... Most of us here are probably not really worrying about finding cheaper blower oil, but rather are wondering if there isn't something better to put in there. As animals, that rotten-cheddar smell automatically raises a red flag, and as modders, we want to make things as bullet-proof as possible.

Aaron's post made me double-check the manuals, and I was surprised to find that both the owner's and shop manuals only specify checking/topping the supercharger oil at 30,000 miles, with no recommendation on changing it. scratch

Now, I've learned some non-recommended things over the years that I swear by, like Type F fluid in RWD THM's instead of Dexron. However, with a snout that is still silent and has no coupler-slop, I'm going to stick with the GM/Eaton blower oil... but I'm gonna' change it at 30k, not just top it off!

When the odor gets bad, my gut tells me that whale oil has given its all and need to be replaced. puke
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 5:50 pm

...and keeping in mind that GM has released information to all its dealers saying to use syn 5w-30 as SC fluid in the m62.

so the m62 can run on syn, but the M90 runs on animals.

Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 8:30 pm

I dont want a whale inside my s/c anyway...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:23 pm

I like whales.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 pm

i know! the poor things! imagine if we were used as oil to fry chips and such? its 'orible!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:50 pm

read it and weep baby! still a rabbit!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: home made sc oil   home made sc oil - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

home made sc oil
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3