Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)

Go down 
+35
robotennis61
sseilmnop2
Abaddon
Eldo
7901mark
woggy
ssei turbo
ibmoses
T Riley
vendetta
SuperRiv07
Rickw
Chicken
lyonsperformance
TonySmooth89
Supercharged
urbsnspices
Sag
RhinoFLA
BillBoost37
nothincame2mind
palermocorey90
deekster_caddy
97rivman
ewolfe0050
96riv
SpaceBar
dreww
oldsman105
Mr.Riviera
racinfan
AA
turtleman
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 1:17 pm

update:

Well, its still not done but getting closer.

1. Started off by replacing the AC condenser and changing the oil and all the antifreeze that got into it when the intake came off. We also got the water pump installed and the plumbing to and from the intercooler radiator run. For now, we are T-ing into the radiator overflow tank. Might get a separate tank for the IC if sharing the radiator overflow tank causes a problem. If anyone is aware of a problem it will cause, let me know.
And does anyone have an idea for how to fill this IC system with coolant? Just funnel it into a upper hose?

2. A problem that took up quite a bit of time was replacing the SC belt. The one intense sent me (for the G-body with 2.25" IC and 2.6-2.8" pulley) was 71" and was half an inch shorter than the one I already had on there (71.5"). The one that was already on there wouldn't fit as it, so obviously I didn't even try the new one. Bought a 72.5" one at autozone cause its all they had around that size. I got the 2.76" pulley put on there. I think any smaller would require snout machining.
We completely removed the the passenger side motor mount, but that didn't work. PITA. so we had to remove a spacer in the bracket that attached the motor to the motor mount. I will be pissed if we have to do it all over again for a new, longer accessory belt. Im sure we will, EVERYTHING has been the hard way with this project, everything.

got pics, will try to post them up.

might try to finish this up on friday:
still got:
1. fix fuel line and finish IC plumbing
2. replace alternator - possibly have to buy a new, longer belt
3. replace/reroute vac line setup
4. put car back together and tune!
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00424sk1

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00426jd7

more to come, gotta get to work
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 2:21 pm

I would buy it for that price.

Its going to perform very well. anyway.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 6:04 pm

Drew , Did you have any clearance issues with the install?
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 11:54 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
Drew , Did you have any clearance issues with the install?

haven't tried to shut the hood yet, lol. Probably will have to remove that black hood liner on the underside of the hood though.

in the last pic in my previous post you can see how the rear IC core adaptor sits right behind the alternator bracket. this is causing some hose kinking issues.

and Eric, awesome run!

adjustable FPR with fuel pressure gauge electric sender
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00425ui2

ac condenser carnage!
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00427zi2

water pump installed
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00428zd3

passenger side motor mount removed for new SC belt
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00429jz2

new AC condenser in
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00430lc7

cutting and smoothing for radiator plumbing
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00431mz3

T off of radiator overflow tank into water pump
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00432el6

transmission cooler will sit in upper passenger side of AC condenser
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00433lu7

half of plumbing done
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00434cc7

new SC belt on
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00435vd4

overflow tank line crimped off until plumbing complete
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00436aq0

all for this week
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:36 pm

great install man keep up the great work
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 4:40 pm

How secure does the upper support/hood feel with those cross-bars gone from the front?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Nice work, Dreww. How many total radiators are you running on this car? The Bugatti Veyron has 10...

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:21 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
How secure does the upper support/hood feel with those cross-bars gone from the front?

dont really got it all back together yet, but I had already removed one of the crossbars for the trans cooler install and noticed no difference.

AA wrote:
Nice work, Dreww. How many total radiators are you running on this car? The Bugatti Veyron has 10...

just 4 (main radiator, AC condenser, tranny cooler, and new the IC radiator"

Thanks for moving this, didn't wanna steal ewolfs thunder.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 5:45 pm

got the alternator belt back on. could only get 2 of the 3 bolts back into it though. The lower bolt wouldn't line up. May have to make a bracket or something later. Belts seemed fine when we turned over the car, but gotta have it running to be for sure.

The plumbing is complete and the pump works and pumps great. Its wired to key hot so it will continue pumping even without the motor running.

Couldnt get the car to start. Think Im flooding it. I dont have my gf's laptop and didn't have the battery hooked up until today so I couldnt tune it. I knew we would get this far and I wouldnt have the tuner when I need it. I need to tune in the 42.5lb injectors. Im guessing with the extra flow and the fact that the 36lber's were very old and dirty (and probably lacking flow), Im flooding the motor. It ALMOST will start. My friend said all he could think of it 1. flooding or 2. a timing issue which is unlikely since we didn't touch it.

all vac lines lines and harnesses are reconnected. Just gotta look for leaks after startup and put the bumper back on.

will have pics later...gotta get to work again
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 6:10 pm

You don't really need to tune the injectors yet, but you should change your IFR table before you go much further.

I think these cars have a 'clear flood' mode where if you hold full throttle and then crank they won't give any fuel. (Just be ready to let off!)
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 10:52 pm

The IFR is what I need to modify. I only have one setting, so apparently I need to drop them by about 18%, or the difference in the flow rate of the 36lb. vs. 42.5lb.

hood liner removed
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00437pm1

belts on - you can see where the bottom alternator bolt doesnt line up
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00438yo4

plumbing of IC core
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00439oo9

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00440fg5

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00441vp0

front transcooler mounted
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00442no1

also, the o-rings in one of the fuel lines gave out, causing a huge fuel leak. I believe the only fix is to buy a entire new plastic line from the fuelrail to the metal line. We did a temp fix with rubber fuel line. We thought it was the return line because it was the one that came off the rail, not the one going into the new FPR. but fuel shot out of the line when the key came out. Weird how the FPR is at the END of the fuel rails, instead of the beginning.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 1:03 am

got it started finally. fuel pressure gauge doesnt work. im sure its the sending unit thats plugged into the new FPR.

also, the lower npt fitting in the ic radiator is leaking coolant.. so i gotta drain and then rethread it.

all in all minor problems. didnt even get a SES light. should be road testing on saturday.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 11:39 am

got it done!!!

took it out for a test run with my mechanic....didn't do any WOT runs from a dig, but we did get on the highway and from about 70-80 I feathered into near WOT.
It still need some tuning, and running real rich, but the car flew too 120 and pegged the speedo. It was still pulling - HARD at 120 but I had to shut it down for my exit.

occasional SES light (whats code 1441) but it resets and doesnt come back for the entire drive.

I did see knock, like 2* max, and I was running it hard in 3rd gear. My fuel in the tank is about 3 months old and with that and needing to tune the fuel down, Im sure I can get rid of that little knock.

couple of pics.

incognito
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00445wz8

the 2x4 is to keep the hood latch from flexing so the hood will close
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00444bf4

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00443ye9

and the new Daily driver - no more towing for the riv
Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Dsc00446fu1
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Apparently I had the adjustable FPR hooked up backwards on my riv (doh!). When I got it setup right, my fuel pressure gauge began working and my fuel trims starting settling in much better. now they typically stay between +/- 5 like they should. The LTFT lock in at 0.0 as well at WOT.

I ran my friends impala a few time from a dig to see the performance difference. Before it took about an 1/8th mile to begin passing him. His takeoff is very fast, faster than a vette, and that 5,000+lb car doesnt lose traction like my riv does. This time, I was burning away from him after 100yrds. And from then on he was disappearing in my rear view mirror. VERY noticeable difference in performance.

My takeoff seems weak still, but Im sure I lost some low end power and I think I need a new throttle body - my xmas gift to myself. Ordering a northstar soon. an extra 10mm on the throttle body should help open up power faster.

ran it on a very cold night, about 35 degrees. Now ZERO kr and boost was about 13 psi on my mechanical gauge. The aeroforce usually reads higher but I was using my 2 parameters for LTFT and KR readings.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:10 am

Awesome drew! How is the 4t60 taking all that extra power?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 6:58 am

Nice work drew! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 am

TonySmooth89 wrote:

so far so good, knock on wood.

read alot about the 65's giving up but not the 60's. Probably because not many have tried to mod out a car as old as the one's with the 60's in it. Im hoping it holds up better than the 65's have though.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 am

dreww wrote:
TonySmooth89 wrote:

read alot about the 65's giving up but not the 60's. Probably because not many have tried to mod out a car as old as the one's with the 60's in it. Im hoping it holds up better than the 65's have though.

Yeah i read something to the effect of the 4t60e being more stout but more prone to heat related failure. Hopefully its true.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 8:24 am

TonySmooth89 wrote:
dreww wrote:
TonySmooth89 wrote:

Yeah i read something to the effect of the 4t60e being more stout but more prone to heat related failure. Hopefully its true.

agree

My 4T60 got really hot when I got on it. I would recommend anyone who modifys a 96 and has no plans on upgrading to a 4T65E like I did get a Trans cooler.

I think if I had added one right after my rebuild it may have lasted longer.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 2:54 pm

already got the trans cooler. And even after repeated WOT runs from a dig, the trans didn't get nearly as hot as when I was towing with the riv.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 10:40 pm

Nice Truck! beer
More pics of the Riv and all the mods,please.
clap
Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 8:45 pm

well I put the northstar on today. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

the car is running real lean right now on idle and crusing, but doing pretty well a WOT. So I might have to do some tuning on the idle and cruising MAF.

I did some runs around the neighborhood from a dig and from like 10mph or so. Lots of spinning and the trans is starting to slip. I guess Im getting to that point but I should be okay as long as I dont do alot of drag racing from a dig, which I usually dont do. I saw 13+psi of boost in first gear. Im sure I would see 15+ in 2nd or 3rd.
Back to top Go down
ssei turbo
Rookie
ssei turbo

Name : Noel Lidster
Merit : 0

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 1:26 pm

i noticed the amount of room around the nose of the car, lots of room to mount a big a2a for turbo! that thought has also crossed my mind as well..... anyone done that here?
Back to top Go down
woggy
Enthusiast
woggy

Name : Paul
Location : Altoona, Florida (Somewhere in the ocala national forest)
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next