HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 
 

 Rack and Pinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Eric
Location : Indianapolis, IN
Joined : 2007-07-31
Post Count : 1159
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Rack and Pinion   Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:59 pm

I have decided to see if some aftermarket rack and pinions would work on our cars... like the Mustang II that is so popular with the hotrod crowds. Does anyone have a r/p out of the car so I can get a few measurements? I have seriously considered getting rid of the power steering but would like to hear from anyone that is running w/o (if there is anyone).
Back to top Go down
Dj Brady
Enthusiast


Name : Brady
Age : 42
Location : Wilmore, Ky
Joined : 2008-02-04
Post Count : 150
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:15 pm

PHOO!! these cars are awfully heavy to not have power steering....

Sorry, got no other input for ya, just wanna start taking your protein shakes now if that's your plan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.328studios.com
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Ryan
Age : 29
Location : Port Richey, FL
Joined : 2007-02-27
Post Count : 1029
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:36 pm

I believe 97rivman has no power steering
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Eric
Location : Indianapolis, IN
Joined : 2007-07-31
Post Count : 1159
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:54 pm

That's what I thought... just waiting on his input.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Ryan
Age : 29
Location : Port Richey, FL
Joined : 2007-02-27
Post Count : 1029
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:25 pm

I think his list of stock stuff he no longer has is longer then his mod list tbh
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie


Location : Enfield CT
Joined : 2007-11-28
Post Count : 769
Merit : 25

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:08 am

He removed the ps pump to make an electric wp work. Researching the cars the WP worked on..I added the appropriate bracket and retained ps.

What can be gained from swapping the rack?

BTW.. your best measurements will come at a junkyard where the S2 SC motor was removed and sold. That's where I would start.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
avatar

Name : Eric
Location : Indianapolis, IN
Joined : 2007-07-31
Post Count : 1159
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:20 am

I figured that I could probably go with a quicker steering ratio and the unit itself might be possibly lighter than OEM.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
avatar

Name : Charlie
Age : 31
Location : Toledo, OH
Joined : 2011-05-17
Post Count : 3900
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:07 am

Reviving a super old post here....


Has anyone confirmed a different rack and pinion that gives a quicker steering ratio that we can use in our Rivs?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
avatar

Name : Matt
Age : 21
Location : Frederick, MD
Joined : 2012-01-15
Post Count : 2673
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:51 am

One of the NON-Magnasteer one's out of a Park Avenue could work. At low speeds it would probably be quicker, but at high speeds it would probably be the same or even slower.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4151
Merit : 169

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:08 pm

matt270avian wrote:
One of the NON-Magnasteer one's out of a Park Avenue could work. At low speeds it would probably be quicker, but at high speeds it would probably be the same or even slower.



That doesn't make sense. The MagnaSteer doesn't change ratios. All it does is "stiffen" up the steering the faster you go. I think you may have meant well, but worded it wrong.

Charlie is looking for a rack that changes how many turns it takes lock-to-lock....a "sport" rack.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
avatar

Name : Charlie
Age : 31
Location : Toledo, OH
Joined : 2011-05-17
Post Count : 3900
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes. I would like to go with a rack that takes fewer degrees of turning to have the same effect as our OEM rack does.

I've spent a little time researching and reading but cannot find a part that would do this for 98-99 GM cars.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
avatar

Name : Matt
Age : 21
Location : Frederick, MD
Joined : 2012-01-15
Post Count : 2673
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Abaddon wrote:

matt270avian wrote:
One of the NON-Magnasteer one's out of a Park Avenue could work. At low speeds it would probably be quicker, but at high speeds it would probably be the same or even slower.




That doesn't make sense. The MagnaSteer doesn't change ratios. All it does is "stiffen" up the steering the faster you go. I think you may have meant well, but worded it wrong.

Charlie is looking for a rack that changes how many turns it takes lock-to-lock....a "sport" rack.

Ah, you're right. Still, it would be nice to have one level of "firmness" for track applications.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru
avatar

Name :
Location : Finger Lakes of New York State
Joined : 2007-05-31
Post Count : 6593
Merit : 122

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:07 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
Yes. I would like to go with a rack that takes fewer degrees of turning to have the same effect as our OEM rack does.

I've spent a little time researching and reading but cannot find a part that would do this for 98-99 GM cars.

How many turns is your steering, lock-to-lock?



do tell...
Back to top Go down
Online
charlieRobinson
Expert
avatar

Name : Charlie
Age : 31
Location : Toledo, OH
Joined : 2011-05-17
Post Count : 3900
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:22 am

albertj wrote:

charlieRobinson wrote:
Yes. I would like to go with a rack that takes fewer degrees of turning to have the same effect as our OEM rack does.

I've spent a little time researching and reading but cannot find a part that would do this for 98-99 GM cars.


How many turns is your steering, lock-to-lock?



do tell...

I will have to check and see. I would say 1.5-2 maybe? Just guessing right now.




Guys, on the highway sometimes, if i hit a small bump or something I feel like my car strafe hops ( i just made that up to try and explain the behavior).

The car feels like it hops to the side. My wheel is somewhat sloppy. Just doesnt feel as tight and sturdy as I think it should. I think it may be my rack/tie rods.

Can anyone help me diagnose this? Thank you
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4151
Merit : 169

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:28 am

Your alignment is off. You're getting bump steer. This happens when the toe is way out of whack. It could be caused by a bad part, or it just needs an alignment.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
avatar

Name : Charlie
Age : 31
Location : Toledo, OH
Joined : 2011-05-17
Post Count : 3900
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:34 am

Abaddon wrote:
Your alignment is off. You're getting bump steer. This happens when the toe is way out of whack. It could be caused by a bad part, or it just needs an alignment.

I thought so too, but I had an alignment last summer and it did not resolve this. I feel like my loose sloppy steering wheel is a symptom of the problem as well.

If I hold the wheel tightly it seems to minimize the effect, at least a little.

I checked my tie rods and they all seem to be nice and sturdy.

my only other Noob thought/idea was that it might have something to do with a worn rack?

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4151
Merit : 169

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:45 am

One way to "test" it is to just have someone else turn the steering wheel while you look at everything underneath. If the rack doesn't move, and everything is tight, it isn't the rack.

Remember too, the lowering springs are going to drastically magnify whatever it is you're feeling due to the firmness of them.

Did they do a 4 wheel alignment? Cross camber being way off can cause bump steer a well. But it has to off damn near a whole degree...
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
avatar

Name : Charlie
Age : 31
Location : Toledo, OH
Joined : 2011-05-17
Post Count : 3900
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:56 am

Good idea, Scott. I am bringing her in for the rear trans mount tomorrow. I will have them check it then.
Yes, i believe it was a 4 wheel alignment. The printed results looked satisfactory when i got it back.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
avatar

Name : Charlie
Age : 31
Location : Toledo, OH
Joined : 2011-05-17
Post Count : 3900
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:18 am

I got a rack n pinon from detroit axle on ebay. Listed to fit my 99 Riv perfectly.

It does not. Mechanic says its the rack for a different buick like a lesabre or something.

Had to get a new one overnighted to advance auto parts. Cracked that box open and it definitely looks different.

I think Lisa said she went through detroit axle and had success. I did not.

puzzled
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4151
Merit : 169

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:56 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
I got a rack n pinon from detroit axle on ebay. Listed to fit my 99 Riv perfectly.

It does not. Mechanic says its the rack for a different buick like a lesabre or something.

Had to get a new one overnighted to advance auto parts. Cracked that box open and it definitely looks different.

I think Lisa said she went through detroit axle and had success. I did not.

puzzled

Dude....Detroit axle is garbage. You should've asked me about them before you pulled the trigger. Even if the rack fit, it would've gone bad in 6 months.

I know you already have this sorted out. Just sayin
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
avatar

Name : Charlie
Age : 31
Location : Toledo, OH
Joined : 2011-05-17
Post Count : 3900
Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Hahaha. So after that one didnt fit I got one overnighted to advanced auto. that one didnt fit. Mechanic buys a reman at autozone and it fits.

Seems like the 98 and 99 racks are different part #s and the 98 fit but the 99 did not. headbutt
came out to a new cv axle, ball joint, outer tie rods, and a new rack n pinion

Riv's steering is much tighter now and overall ride is much better.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
avatar

Name : Matt
Age : 21
Location : Frederick, MD
Joined : 2012-01-15
Post Count : 2673
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Does anyone know how to replace the bushings in the rack? Write up or anything? I had the bolt through the bushing/rack out, tie rod end popped, and all 4 cradle bolts removed with the cradle lowered by the jack as far as it would go. The rack did not move at all.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4151
Merit : 169

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:04 am

matt270avian wrote:
Does anyone know how to replace the bushings in the rack? Write up or anything? I had the bolt through the bushing/rack out, tie rod end popped, and all 4 cradle bolts removed with the cradle lowered by the jack as far as it would go. The rack did not move at all.

Pry up on it (with both bolts removed). You may have to get primal. The rack gets stuck to the cradle over the years. Sometimes it takes a mammoth pry bar to get her loose....
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
avatar

Name : Matt
Age : 21
Location : Frederick, MD
Joined : 2012-01-15
Post Count : 2673
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:47 am

Abaddon wrote:
with both bolts removed

Which 2 bolts are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
avatar

Name : Scott
Location : Macomb, Michigan
Joined : 2010-02-24
Post Count : 4151
Merit : 169

PostSubject: Re: Rack and Pinion   Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:17 am

For starters, the rack bushings aren't replaceable I don't think. Unless you find them aftermarket.....and then you'll need a hydraulic press.

The rack bolts themselves. The two 18mm's holding the rack in. The rack sits in "U" channels on the cradle. Over time, the bushings expand, and things corrode. The rack ends up sticking to the cradle. You need to pry it up out of the pockets before it will move.
Back to top Go down
 
Rack and Pinion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» rack and pinion vs power steering.
» Question on rack and pinion with LS1, hydroboost.
» Need some dimensions on rack and pinion mounts
» Please remind me which port is pressure side on 944 rack and pinion
» Rack & Pinion ?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riviera Performance ::   General Tech :: Brakes & Suspension-
Jump to: