Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax

Go down 
+5
97buick
99Rivman
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
ibmoses
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax Empty
PostSubject: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 7:28 pm

I got the car washed up today and picked up some supplies to start detailing with.
I have been searching old threads and picked up a few pointers already...

I bought some of the Mothers Back to Black for the ground effects.

Grabbed some Meguairs products also, the Clay Bar kit and some Gold Class Wax. I have never used either of these products. On my GS I just use the show car glaze and a quick detailer.

When I got the car I new it said the paint was a Midnight Blue Pearl but it never occurred to me it was a "Pearl". As soon as it got dark last night it became apparent.

Question: I want some touch up paint for the exterior and the interior also.
Do youse guys get the touch up paints from the dealer?

Thanks for any input.
Bert happy
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 7:38 pm

I dont recommend touch up paint because it makes it harder when you go to respray the whole car. they have to sand it down. although i think they have to do that on the rivs anyway. I thought i read it somewhere.

Try meguiars cleaner wax first. it really shines up worn paint. Or theres this stuff called royal blue that my dad got at a cars show that works excellent. even cleans up chrome nice.
For a wheel cleaner i recommend Zep patio furniture cleaner. Its like 3.50 a bottle at home depot and is the best thing for wheels. Been using it for years and had no problems. it really eats brake dust. works good on tires too.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: #6 cleaner wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 7:56 pm

I have some of the #6 cleaner wax that I used to use on my GS before it was restored...
I thought the clay bar was the ultimate cleaner to use before wax?

Thanks for the tip about the wheel cleaner.
Bert
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 8:21 pm

idk. ive never used a clay bar. i've heard mixed things. bur i can't say anything because ive never had any kind of experience with it. i just use the cleaner wax and it works well....the clay bar might be better.
and yw for the tip.
oh and you still need something to shine the tires after the patio furniture cleaner.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 8:53 pm

I clay bar'd my car a while back but... it doesn't help with oxidized paint unfortunately. I couldn't see any difference between clay bar and wax vs just wax.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Clay bar does work! It is amazing what it will remove from what you think is a clean finish!
If you want a real slick finish, try these products:
http://www.zainostore.com/
All of their products are great, but I haven't found or used a better tire treatment, it works as advertised, GREAT!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
97buick
Special

Name : Mark
Merit : 0

PostSubject: question about cleaning the rivs   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 1:21 am

I have never used the clay bars...any suggestions on best brand?...and proper way to use them?...Thanks, Mark
Back to top Go down
Straighteight
Straighteight

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 am

I agree the Zaino products really fill the bill. They produce the only product that really brings out the Midnight Blue Pearl. The Midnight Blue with a regular polish or wax produces a double image, kind of a haze. The only product to give a "wet shine" , like a sheet of water on the finish is Zaino. It's drop dead gorgeous!!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:54 am

Straighteight wrote:
I agree the Zaino products really fill the bill. They produce the only product that really brings out the Midnight Blue Pearl. The Midnight Blue with a regular polish or wax produces a double image, kind of a haze. The only product to give a "wet shine" , like a sheet of water on the finish is Zaino. It's drop dead gorgeous!!
agree
And it works well on Black and Silver too thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 11:45 pm

I used the Maguire's Claybar kit. I think I also used a different brand too (big name brand) - they both worked the same. Results were fantastic!

Claybaring, IMO is something that you do once MAYBE twice a year. It takes a long time, but it is worth it.

You know when you run your finger along the paint of a brand new car, and it's perfectly smooth? That's what this claybar does. It takes off all the stuck on crap that had adhered to your paint over the years. Because this is your first time doing it, take your time, don't rush it. Once you do the whole car for the first time, and really do a through job, the next time you do it won't take as long. It takes a long time to build up all that crap on the surface of your paint.

Here's an example for you:

I had a white Regal GS (now RIP). Because I went over multiple sets of railroad tracks every day, the rail dust would get stuck to my paint. Because the car was white, you could see what looked like little flecks of rust. The car wasn't rusting, it was just stuck on rust particles.

To get ANY of these rust particles off my paint, I literally had to wear my hand to the bone to get anywhere with ANY type of wax. So much so that I'd complete a 5 in. X 5 in. section and I'd be so worn out , I would just give up.

Then I found out about the claybar, and I gave it a try. It took the rail dust (and all other junk) RIGHT off my paint. Where the rail dust was heavy took a little time, but it DIDN'T take a lot of pressure. Just going over it a few extra times. I cleaned every bit of that rail dust off my car in an hour and a half.

Bottom line, you gotta try this stuff - highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:51 pm

The Ruby Red '92 Riv I purchased in January has some oxidation on the trunk, roof and hood which I'd like to remove....need your folks advice/experience on which product will work best....many thanks.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Ship wrote:
The Ruby Red '92 Riv I purchased in January has some oxidation on the trunk, roof and hood which I'd like to remove....need your folks advice/experience on which product will work best....many thanks.
Sorry, but as far as I know the only fix for oxidation is paint bonk
You might be able to buff it up to a nice shine that will last for a while but the oxidation will always return frown
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Clay bar once or twice a year. If you do it more you will not have time to drive it! LOL It really is effective, just look at the stuff that comes off on it. Remember to fold it over the stuff it picks up often. Also, put down newspapers around the car in case you drop the bar. If you drop the clay bay on concrete it will pick up so many particles that it will ruin the finish if you continued to use it.

Although I wax regularly, once a year I do the following:

Wash
Wash again
Polish turn lights
Touch up paint
Touch up areas where black anodized has come off with flat black
Clay bar
Polish Meguirs Step 1
Cleaner Megeirs Step 2
Wax Meguirs Step 3
Detailer to get the wax dust off

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax   Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax Empty

Back to top Go down

Going to try the Clay Bar and then Gold Class Wax
Page 1 of 1