Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Center Console Removal

Go down 
+20
BMD
flyineagle96
albertj
charlieRobinson
stan
1998 Riv
98buickriv
turtleman
agrimm34
Rickw
krazyfish
palermocorey90
Chicken
'96reese
97rivman
97Riv-Jon
Jack the R
99Rivman
AA
BIGAL1128
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BIGAL1128
Amateur

Merit : 0

console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySat Apr 28, 2007 2:23 pm

Write Up: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2501p15-write-up-center-console-removal#27280

Hi,

I must be blind or tired but i can not get my center console out of the car. I removed the 2 bolts under the center armrest area and 4 screws in the front behind the cd holders. I think there are some more bolts under the shifter plate but i can't get the shifter knob off.

Can someone tell me how to get this thing out.

Thanks

BIG-AL
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySat Apr 28, 2007 2:56 pm

What year is your car? Have you removed the CD storage/ashtray from the area above the cup holders. This just pops out with some force. Then you'll have some room to work inside the console. Hope this helps.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BIGAL1128
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySat Apr 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Thanks AA,

I have a 95 RIV that i am trying to remove all of the leather and other interior pieces. I can't get the shifter knob off, i have removed the screws behind the CD storage area already, but it still will not come out.

How does this shifter handle come off? I don't see any fasteners for the shifter handle?

BIG-AL
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySun Apr 29, 2007 2:47 am

You just pull on the CD storage/ash tray section. It'll come straight out.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySun Apr 29, 2007 2:27 pm

BIGAL1128 wrote:
Thanks AA,

I have a 95 RIV that i am trying to remove all of the leather and other interior pieces. I can't get the shifter knob off, i have removed the screws behind the CD storage area already, but it still will not come out.

How does this shifter handle come off? I don't see any fasteners for the shifter handle?

BIG-AL

There is a clip installed in the front side of the shifter knob about an inch from the bottom, you pry it out with a small screwdriver and the knob slides off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BIGAL1128
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyMon Apr 30, 2007 1:40 pm

99Rivman wrote:
BIGAL1128 wrote:
Thanks AA,

BIG-AL

There is a clip installed in the front side of the shifter knob about an inch from the bottom, you pry it out with a small screwdriver and the knob slides off.

Thanks for the tip,

found it finally. smile

I was looking at the base of the shifter knob and not above it. oops

Thanks again 99Rivman,

BIG-AL
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Shop Manual Request   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 3:02 pm

Can someone post the exploded view diagram of the center console? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
97Riv-Jon
Enthusiast
97Riv-Jon

Name : Jon
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 pm

THIS IS ALL I HAVE:

console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal Pict0231

console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal Pict0230
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Thanks, that'll do.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 11:19 pm

Holy crap! That trip plate around the shifter is a $340 part on Parts Zone Online! MSRP $520!!

It's a mere $300 on Monster Parts Online - pretty good discount over Parts Zone.

Those of you sexing it up in the Riv better think twice - you can get a nice hotel room for the price of breaking a Rivi interior piece!
Back to top Go down
97Riv-Jon
Enthusiast
97Riv-Jon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySun Jul 15, 2007 11:23 pm

That's what the back seat is for... jump

Time to hit the salvage yards!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 1:02 am

I emailed BD Trim to see if they'd sell me an individual piece. I bet they won't, but it doesn't cost anything to ask.

If your light burl would work in my interior I'd buy those pieces you didn't use off of ya. I've been carefully comparing pics of my interior and your's though and I don't think light burl would work for me. frown
Back to top Go down
97Riv-Jon
Enthusiast
97Riv-Jon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 9:44 am

I used ALL the pieces...lol
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 pm

who needs what pieces? I got em.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 12:42 am

97Riv-Jon wrote:
I used ALL the pieces...lol

Ah, I see where I misread a post of yours in your dash install thread.

97rivman - Check your PM box.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 9:02 am

Not sure if anyone else would get as anal about cleaning as I do but there was so much gunk spilled on and into this console I couldn’t see putting it back in without cleaning it. I’m pretty sure everyone has seen how to get the console out so I will just show how it comes apart.

There are two screws and two hook tabs holding the back of the console on, circled in RED. The screws are at the very bottom and the tabs are in the console about ¾ of the way up.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal _99_sa20

There are four screws holding the vent assembly in place.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal _99_sa22

All of the pieces out of the rear of the console.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal _99_sa23

The plastic segments around the shifter lever are held in by four screws and then are removable from the console trim piece. This was also full of … whatever, so it required cleaning also!
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal _99_sa24

Shifter segments disassembled.
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal _99_sa25

Don’t mess with these plastic tabs, they will break off, I hope it isn’t a problem since one of mine did!
console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal _99_sa26
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 3:12 pm

how do you remove the shifter knob????????
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 6:32 pm

There is a clip installed in the front side of the shifter knob about an inch from the bottom, you pry it out with a small screwdriver and the knob slides off
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 6:47 pm

I've been waiting for this!!! Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 7:00 pm

good write up
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Okay im seriously having some issues getting this sucker out. ive got the cd/ashtray panel out. and ive got the 2 nuts in the storage compartment out. i cannot figure out what else is holding this one. After all ive done the most i can do is make it wiggle a little bit. What am i missing here? How is the front section held on?

im really needing to get this thing taken apart to clean it and see if i can fix the cup holder lid.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Have you read from the beginning of this thread.
What about the 4 screws mentioned earlier.???
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:55 pm

i have read and re read this thread. and i did not remove 4 screws from the front i have search and search and i do not see any. where exactly are they located. The only screws i see behind this panel are the two that are holding in the ash tray.

I have put it back together from the point i was at because i am taking the car to get window tint tomorrow morning and dont want to have my interior in shambles when i take it, but i am still trying to figure out how to remove it so i can do it tomorrow afternoon. give me 15 minutes and i can have pictures of where i am stuck at.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 3:03 pm

I've never tried to remove mine.
Maybe someone who has will chime in and help out.
Or try emailing or PM Randall (99Rivman) he has removed several and is the original one who posted here I think.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 7:44 am

krazyfish wrote:
Okay im seriously having some issues getting this sucker out. ive got the cd/ashtray panel out. and ive got the 2 nuts in the storage compartment out. i cannot figure out what else is holding this one. After all ive done the most i can do is make it wiggle a little bit. What am i missing here? How is the front section held on?

im really needing to get this thing taken apart to clean it and see if i can fix the cup holder lid.
When I posted the pictures it was more about taking it apart than removal, I'll see if I can look today and get more info posted later ... read
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   console - Write-Up: Center Console Removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Center Console Removal
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next