Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

magnasteer adjustment not possible

Go down 
+9
Eldo
GMFreak8
Rickw
99Rivman
albertj
ibmoses
1998 Riv
Mr.Riviera
Jason
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Absolutely.Instead of pucks you can use a 3 x 1" alu puck that you will drill a 3/4 " hole in and place on the body side(on top the cradle) For the bottom of the cradle where the isolator would go,you would weld a steel round plate in its place with a 3/4 " hole for the through bolt.You can do this to all the 6 isolators if you want.sharpens steering up quite a bit.the rubber or poly motor mounts do a good enough job dampening vibrations so as to do away with what I see as essentially as an engine cradle moving around concentrically on itself ..f.....g ugh!
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Wouldn't steel be better since I believe that you will get galvanic corrosion having aluminum against the steel cradle?

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Living in Canada,yes.If you have some DOM 3" tubing laying around you can cut it to roughly the same diam as the OEM bushings and weld plate onto both sides making it a steel puck.drill the hole for the through bolt and voila! done.for the underneath of the cradle,where the through bolt would go through,you would just weld a same dia steel plate,closing the hole where the stock isolator goes, with a hole for the bolt.The reason why you cant just remove the isolators and push the cradle flush up against the underside of the body is because of clearance issues.the cradle bumps up against the body.
you really have to go underneath,if you havent allready,and take a look.to get an idea of the mod.really easy,only takes a couple hours.I will replace the pucks with steel real soon.looking forward to that.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info Robo. I'll be working with this when I have the cradle dropped.

Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:37 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Alot of the vagueness that comes with the Riv steering is atributed to the engine support frame isolator bushings.If you've replaced your rear motor mount you'll know what I'm talking about.
You can experiment if you want.All you have to do is,Remove the two front engine cradle donut isolators,passenger side and driver side.no need to fabricate anything.Take 4 pucks,drill a 3/4" hole in the middle,place 1 puck on the top of the engine cradle and the other on the bottom, sandwiching the engine cradle in the middle,run your stock bolt through the 2 and tighten.do the same for the other side.now do the same for the rear inner isolators,leaving the rearmost isolators alone.take for a test drive.big difference.

Im going to try this as soon as i get 8 hockey pucks. If i recall correctly i have to drop the subframe pretty far down to be able to pull out the bolt and slide something in right?

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 pm

I am going to create a tutorial this afternoon detailing how its done.I found a few extra steel cups that I am going to use instead of the pucks. I just need to check engine clearances before I post,tomake sure everything lines up and that there are no clearance issues.
with this new mod,all you will need is 4 pucks.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:31 pm

None of the local sporting goods stores have hockey pucks lol. Seriously that all the the hollow ones and street pucks but not the real ones. guess ill have to order some.
any luck with the write-up?

Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

Name : Christian Rolf Köhn
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Woah, this sounds interesting happy nice info you got there Robo, looking forward for more updates on this because the streets here in Juarez are in a totally bad shape poop that sometimes you just wish to have a truck 3gears , they say that if you already know how to drive in Juarez you can drive anywhere in the world ride razz

Any improvement in drivability here will be great, and this seems to be not 'that' complicated smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: magnasteer adjustment not possible   magnasteer adjustment not possible - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

magnasteer adjustment not possible
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2