Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: HID Conversion

Go down 
+57
firefighter
Jimdangello
Mattwa
denim
RivieraParadise
2000ws6transam
GM FIEND
LT1Squirrel
Rizz01
tanyue123
Jayrydingslab
BigRay1125
nebstewart07
95rivy
7901mark
TheNewEra95
Derek
flyineagle96
KillaKeninaRiv
Abaddon
ZEP
VJD2
BrianEsser
DEMonte1997
GMFreak8
nigelf
97 park ave
Eldo
robotennis61
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
Rickw
texasfan010
Snowdog
L8-2BNGO
L67
EatDirtFartDust
deekster_caddy
manofmany
Shintsu
Natesriv
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
albertj
IBx1
'96reese
palermocorey90
jax95riv
SpaceBar
RhinoFLA
NO 4 EVR
AA
turtleman
CeeKay
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: UM.....HIDs   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 1:37 am

Well i bought some used HIDs today only to get home to find out i was scammed. neither the ballasts or bulbs worked. Im short on money now but i feel the need for HIDs, im the only one in my "group" without them. Is there anybody that has working HIDs that would maybe cut me a deal, or would trade for them or something? i dont have money for new ones ATM.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 am

texasfan010 wrote:
Well i bought some used HIDs today only to get home to find out i was scammed. neither the ballasts or bulbs worked. Im short on money now but i feel the need for HIDs, im the only one in my "group" without them. Is there anybody that has working HIDs that would maybe cut me a deal, or would trade for them or something? i dont have money for new ones ATM.

double check..... mine were messed up
turned out i hooked them up wrong
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 5:29 am

well i tried pretty much every possible solution, the guy said he would try to hook them up for me, and if they still dont work he would give me my money back. hes actually a decent guy. i thought he purposely ripped me off
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 6:19 am

texasfan010 wrote:
Im short on money now but i feel the need for HIDs, im the only one in my "group" without them. i dont have money for new ones ATM.
Now that's some serious peer pressure. Spending money you don't have on something you don't need. Good Luck with hooking them up. Hope everything works out.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 am

Be sure to read my write-up carefully. The part that the factory harness plugs into is reversed on the poles. You gotta flip it over and connect it that way. The tabs won't lock, they'll be on opposite sides, but mine haven't budged at all since installing them.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:49 am

IBx1 wrote:
Be sure to read my write-up carefully. The part that the factory harness plugs into is reversed on the poles. You gotta flip it over and connect it that way. The tabs won't lock, they'll be on opposite sides, but mine haven't budged at all since installing them.

I believe that is only on one side, the passenger side if I recall correctly.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 9:36 am

Both for mine.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:41 pm

alright thanks guys i will try that
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 6:36 am

Obviously, any aftermarket mod isn't going to behave like stock. I'd like to see a shorter HID 'bulb' that would protrude the same length as a halogen, perhaps that would help fix some of the glare. I've been very lucky so far and my conversion has very little glare without me having to adjust the light aim down.

Personally I don't think there's any difference between the $100 and $500 kits besides pricing and brand names. Sure the more expensive one has a warranty and is more reliable, but for every one of the 4 Chinese ballasts I've had burn out, I got a free one for the cost of mailing the broken one to California. About $20 of shipping added to the $117 or so I paid, I'm still well below $500 and I get excellent, no-questions-asked service. Make sure the people you buy from are good in the customer service department and you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 3:07 pm

Well, the good ballasts are made by Phillips (Ironic since their home electronics are subpar). The ballasts like those are what are used on cars that are factory equipped with HIDs. The $500 kits include projector housings as well as the quality ballasts. If there's one thing not to be trusted, it's Chinese circuitry and electronics. Consider if you will a lot of home audio equipment is made in China - the low end stuff. I have several pieces which are made in Japan, all the nicer models (and vintage) are made in Japan. I mean think how well something made in China in a sweatshop is compared to something that was carefully constructed in Japan. Given Japan's small size as a country, they don't have near the factory population like China does so they can't just toss people in a factory and pay them a dime a day or whatever. You have much lower chances of getting something just slapped together too quick since Chinese factories are all about speed and mass numbers than making high quality products.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Oh, I thought you meant just the HID bulbs and ballasts, not the projector housings and stuff too! I agree about the quality, believe me I prefer non-Chinese stuff, but for the price it works out favorably. If anything goes wrong, I can swap the halogens back in place in about 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 2:12 pm

I LOVE my HID's wouldn't trade em' for stock ever
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 pm

What's more important? Looking cool or actually lighting the road up better? Poor dispersion patterns put out by HID bulbs in the incorrect housings are not as effective as standard halogens. If you're interested in it only for looking cool then go get some blue painted bulbs. Doing stuff like this for looks only (And by looks I mean the looks of your car over the function) is really ricey. Like: